Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] VTech Digital Video Baby Monitor with 2.8" LCD 2 Cameras - $81.61

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2020 2:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 14, 2006
1210 posts
394 upvotes
GTA

[Amazon.ca] VTech Digital Video Baby Monitor with 2.8" LCD 2 Cameras - $81.61

Seems to be at its all time low on CCC.
11 replies
Newbie
Sep 16, 2020
30 posts
58 upvotes
I've had this unit since May and it works great for our two little ones. My only complaint would be the battery life and how soon the batteries needed to be replaced. I ended up buying some rechargeable AAAs and made a new battery pack for it about a month ago now. It works a lot better and lasts longer than 10 minutes when unplugged again. I get about 2-4 hours of battery life depending on how often I switch screens or how much noise is coming through the parent unit, it does take forever (4-6 hours) to charge now through. The initial batteries were nowhere near as good as the replacement batteries, if I remember right I don't think the initial batteries would even last an hour when new.
\/Mox\/
Member
Apr 1, 2011
211 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
Moxier wrote: I've had this unit since May and it works great for our two little ones. My only complaint would be the battery life and how soon the batteries needed to be replaced. I ended up buying some rechargeable AAAs and made a new battery pack for it about a month ago now. It works a lot better and lasts longer than 10 minutes when unplugged again. I get about 2-4 hours of battery life depending on how often I switch screens or how much noise is coming through the parent unit, it does take forever (4-6 hours) to charge now through. The initial batteries were nowhere near as good as the replacement batteries, if I remember right I don't think the initial batteries would even last an hour when new.
Are the batteries for the monitor or the camera? 10 minutes sounds like a really short period of time either way though...

How do you find the size of the screen? Do you think it is sufficient or is a 5 inch one necessary?
Sr. Member
Jan 20, 2005
730 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
We bought one of these to replace an aging Motorola baby monitor. We really don't like it, and will be returning... There is a noticeable lag (1-2 sec) before sound comes through, which is more annoying than anything. And, the two-way audio quality is horrific (impossible to understand, and again an annoying lag).

Also, when you push TALK, the video freezes. That makes no sense, because the only time you would TALK through the unit is when things (that are prompting you to TALK) are happening.

Just FYI.
Last edited by scott_newsgroup on Dec 6th, 2020 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2011
1762 posts
323 upvotes
Toronto
Moxier wrote: I've had this unit since May and it works great for our two little ones. My only complaint would be the battery life and how soon the batteries needed to be replaced. I ended up buying some rechargeable AAAs and made a new battery pack for it about a month ago now. It works a lot better and lasts longer than 10 minutes when unplugged again. I get about 2-4 hours of battery life depending on how often I switch screens or how much noise is coming through the parent unit, it does take forever (4-6 hours) to charge now through. The initial batteries were nowhere near as good as the replacement batteries, if I remember right I don't think the initial batteries would even last an hour when new.
Can you share more detail on how you made the battery pack?
Sr. Member
Jan 20, 2005
730 posts
746 upvotes
Toronto
Moxier wrote: I've had this unit since May and it works great for our two little ones. My only complaint would be the battery life and how soon the batteries needed to be replaced. I ended up buying some rechargeable AAAs and made a new battery pack for it about a month ago now. It works a lot better and lasts longer than 10 minutes when unplugged again. I get about 2-4 hours of battery life depending on how often I switch screens or how much noise is coming through the parent unit, it does take forever (4-6 hours) to charge now through. The initial batteries were nowhere near as good as the replacement batteries, if I remember right I don't think the initial batteries would even last an hour when new.
I'm not sure that your homemade battery pack is safe. Unless you purchased batteries that say you can charge however you want? Normally batteries are made to accept a specific electrical feed (and not just any charging device). I would be cautious about overheating or leaking batteries!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 8, 2006
1079 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
I've just been using Wyze cams and our cellphones/laptops for baby monitoring. Works well enough and doesn't use batteries. When they are grown up the cams will be promoted to home security.
buffylover wrote: im pretty sure thincrust hates you
Newbie
User avatar
Nov 22, 2016
49 posts
48 upvotes
Richmond Hill
When the young Wyze cams gain enough experience watching kids they can finally be trusted to watch adults
Your RFD Rights
Your wallet has the right to remain closed.
Anything you pay full-price for can and will be used against you in the court of RFD.
You have the right to a Search Bar.
If you cannot find the Search Bar one will be pointed out to you.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 12, 2003
14912 posts
1194 upvotes
Markham
Exas wrote: I've just been using Wyze cams and our cellphones/laptops for baby monitoring. Works well enough and doesn't use batteries. When they are grown up the cams will be promoted to home security.
Does the live feed work for hours on end? Or does it eventually crash?
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 8, 2006
1079 posts
325 upvotes
Toronto
ShadowVlican wrote: Does the live feed work for hours on end? Or does it eventually crash?
I've never had a crash and they've been running for about 5 months straight. I don't use the record feature, only live stream. Also, to use them on a desktop/laptop, you need to use it via Bluestacks as they don't have a native PC app.
buffylover wrote: im pretty sure thincrust hates you
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 12, 2003
14912 posts
1194 upvotes
Markham
Exas wrote: I've never had a crash and they've been running for about 5 months straight. I don't use the record feature, only live stream. Also, to use them on a desktop/laptop, you need to use it via Bluestacks as they don't have a native PC app.
Thanks for the reply. I guess this could be a cheap alternative to baby monitors if you have spare phone or laptop.
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 13, 2006
1098 posts
439 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
Exas wrote: I've just been using Wyze cams and our cellphones/laptops for baby monitoring. Works well enough and doesn't use batteries. When they are grown up the cams will be promoted to home security.
I like the fact that these types of cameras are on a closed system vs. streamed via the Internet and to a smartphone.
Beware the RFD Effect

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)