Amazon.ca

Wacom Intuos MEDIUM - Wireless Drawing Tablet (HOT ATL!) $139.95

[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1110 posts
1576 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Wacom Intuos MEDIUM - Wireless Drawing Tablet (HOT ATL!) $139.95

I'd actually been waiting for this. Saw the last deal for the Small Wacom, but in my experience the bigger size is better for ergonomics since it makes you move your arm to make movements -- instead of just your wrist. (literally saved me from carpal tunnel in art school)

CCC shows it's an all-time-low, having been round $200 at its previous low (attached)

I like that this has the option to use Bluetooth or wired USB (my current Wacom is 18 years old and wired only) so i bit the bullet to have another one around.

hope this helps somebody!
Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 10.34.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-01-20 at 10.34.33 PM.png
Last edited by TomRFD on Jan 20th, 2022 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: price was missing from the title
32 replies
Dec 17, 2015
130 posts
281 upvotes
Greenfield Park, QC
Price aside, how does this compare to an iPad and Apple Pencil?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2018
7388 posts
7939 upvotes
juldum wrote: Price aside, how does this compare to an iPad and Apple Pencil?
It doesn't.
Aug 11, 2019
896 posts
935 upvotes
Gtaphotog wrote: It doesn't.
by all means, do feel free to elaborate...if we already know the difference, we wouldnt be asking, would we?
Nov 22, 2018
46 posts
90 upvotes
rfdnewbie6910 wrote: by all means, do feel free to elaborate...if we already know the difference, we wouldnt be asking, would we?
I mean, the most obvious factor is that there's no screen, so there really is no comparison there. But if you think you can get used to draw while looking at a monitor, they're a good buy. Some people don't mind, some even prefer it, but most people like to actually see the lines drawn where they're actually using the pen.
Aug 11, 2019
896 posts
935 upvotes
irikan wrote: I mean, the most obvious factor is that there's no screen, so there really is no comparison there. But if you think you can get used to draw while looking at a monitor, they're a good buy. Some people don't mind, some even prefer it, but most people like to actually see the lines drawn where they're actually using the pen.
hm, i actually meant more technical stuff, like specific features or spec, but thats a good point, i just kinda took it for granted cuz i thought it would just come natural, but i just realized i never actually tried doing that. now im kinda curious, lol
Nov 22, 2018
46 posts
90 upvotes
rfdnewbie6910 wrote: hm, i actually meant more technical stuff, like specific features or spec, but thats a good point, i just kinda took it for granted cuz i thought it would just come natural, but i just realized i never actually tried doing that. now im kinda curious, lol
It is a really nice tablet if you can get over the learning curve!
Aug 18, 2007
353 posts
124 upvotes
For what it's worth, I far prefer writing on a tablet while looking up at my screen. Much better for posture. For my particular use case (mostly whiteboarding during Teams meetings), writing tablets with screens are overrated in my opinion. I've tried using a tablet with a screen and I'll never go back.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1110 posts
1576 upvotes
juldum wrote: Price aside, how does this compare to an iPad and Apple Pencil?
depends on you of course, but also the kind of work you need to do.

i use photoshop, illustrator, indesign with my Wacom all the time (can't even imagine using photoshop with a mouse anymore lol)
most artists i worked with in VFX/post do as well.

some would have the larger ones with screens for, depending on what they prefer. usually if they were an illustrator

Wacom probably takes a bit more time to get used to since it's not 1:1 to screen size (as an actual screen, or iPad would).

agreed with the other user that looking at my monitor in an ergonomic fashion, instead of looking down at an iPad, is way better ergonomically. esp when you have to work 8-12 hours per day like i do! would prob kill my body by day 3 with an iPad lol
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2002
1213 posts
964 upvotes
ATL by a big margin and someone downvoted cuz not a good price. Sheesh.. stay classy rfd.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1110 posts
1576 upvotes
strife wrote: ATL by a big margin and someone downvoted cuz not a good price. Sheesh.. stay classy rfd.
lol i know right? saving $60 is pretty darn good imho

aaaaaaaand there's the 2nd downvote (i find all posts always have at least 2...same 2 people all the time?? lol)
Apr 28, 2008
117 posts
132 upvotes
gotglint wrote: lol i know right? saving $60 is pretty darn good imho

aaaaaaaand there's the 2nd downvote (i find all posts always have at least 2...same 2 people all the time?? lol)
I think we need a new profile stat: Downvotes Given. We have upvotes received but downvotes given would also help me determine people's usefulness. At some point I look at a deal and see that the downvotes are all by chronic downvoters and boom "I just know..." Maybe every quarter we chip in a few pennies each and buy a coffee, box of chocolates, beer, or enema kit for the most shinasty RFDowner(s)?

So I have a teen son really into drawing IRL. He's tried a few generic stylus / tablet apps (not a graphics tablet, just an Android device with a non-active styles.) Would something like this be useful for him for hobby use? Or is something like a Surface / Chromebook tablet with active stylus or Samsung Tab with sPen a better route for budding artists?
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1578 posts
407 upvotes
GTA
Does the medium size make a big difference compared to the smaller size for drawing?
----------------------------------------------------
Koodo $50/15GB plan + $0/4gb add on - Medium Tab / Tab Plus
Freedom Mobile $19/1.5GB plan
Jul 15, 2018
21 posts
6 upvotes
I have been using this model for over a month at work and I like it. Much more compact than other models I used. The only issue i have right now is the nib is wearing out really fast. Its normal for nibs to wear out faster in the beginning but forgot how fast it actually is.
Apr 20, 2006
827 posts
577 upvotes
Mrrfdxyz wrote: Is this good to draw NFTs
You'd already have all those tools if you plan on doing that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1110 posts
1576 upvotes
GabrielB14233 wrote: I have been using this model for over a month at work and I like it. Much more compact than other models I used. The only issue i have right now is the nib is wearing out really fast. Its normal for nibs to wear out faster in the beginning but forgot how fast it actually is.
i haven't used these new ones yet, as mine is Intuos 2 from 2003.

do the nibs wear out fast? is it because of the texture of the tablet?

if it is -- like it was on my Intuos 4, when they switched from smooth to having a surface with a bit of grit -- when one thing we used to do in the studio was tape whatever texture you like onto the surface. i.e. if texture was too smooth to draw, then tape a piece of paper on top. if the texture is too rough and wearing out your nib quick, then tape a piece of smooth clear plastic in top.

i hope it's not due to the materials of the nib nowadays...i only ever replaced my nib twice in 18 years!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1110 posts
1576 upvotes
Coppertone2005 wrote: Does the medium size make a big difference compared to the smaller size for drawing?
i would say emphatically YES.

you get way more control since the area is way bigger. plus the ergonomics is way better for your body long term.

i actually also have an Intuos 4 LARGE and that is even better for drawing. even more control

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)