Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Wacom Intuos MEDIUM - Wireless Drawing Tablet (HOT ATL!) $139.95

[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1110 posts
1576 upvotes
deplume wrote: I think we need a new profile stat: Downvotes Given. We have upvotes received but downvotes given would also help me determine people's usefulness. At some point I look at a deal and see that the downvotes are all by chronic downvoters and boom "I just know..." Maybe every quarter we chip in a few pennies each and buy a coffee, box of chocolates, beer, or enema kit for the most shinasty RFDowner(s)?

So I have a teen son really into drawing IRL. He's tried a few generic stylus / tablet apps (not a graphics tablet, just an Android device with a non-active styles.) Would something like this be useful for him for hobby use? Or is something like a Surface / Chromebook tablet with active stylus or Samsung Tab with sPen a better route for budding artists?
i personally don't draw on a day to day basis, so i'm not entirely sure.

and a lot of it has to do with the user and their preferences. maybe cos your son is young, he'll have grown up in a world of screens so will be more familiar with drawing on an actual screen?

also how many hours a day it'd be used? as ergonomically he'd be better having his head up looking at a monitor than down at a tablet all day.

i'm not sure the accuracy of the Surface or samsung S-Pen, so you should research that. i remember back in the days of iPad 2, a friend had android tablet and loved it -- until he got an iPad 2. he showed me how much more accurate the iPad was in being accurate to his actual pen strokes (i hope the Android tablets / Surface have gotten better since those days)

i do have several friends who are full time illustrator/artists and they use this over a tablet. probably in part cos we do professional work that needs to fit certain technical parameters for delivery.
but it's probably down to preference, as a drawing tablet isn't 1:1 in scale to an iPad/android tablet
Deal Addict
May 5, 2010
1515 posts
871 upvotes
rfdnewbie6910 wrote: hm, i actually meant more technical stuff, like specific features or spec, but thats a good point, i just kinda took it for granted cuz i thought it would just come natural, but i just realized i never actually tried doing that. now im kinda curious, lol
Technical stuff? The iPad has a glass screen, so more slippery than the Wacom. The iPad will generate a bit of heat because of the screen but the Wacom is always cold to the touch. Wacom pencil has 2 boutons and has no need for charging. One Apple Pencil 2nd gen cost more than this whole thing.

Personally, for drawing and photo editing, I need both of them in my life. Wacom for work and iPad Pro & Pencil for leisure.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
16947 posts
9024 upvotes
Ottawa
I was actually considering this when I saw this a few days ago on bh....since it is US dollars and the exchange rate is good, it would come out to a little bit cheaper. The taxes can be prepaid in the total and shipping is free

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... tooth.html

I use to use these tablet pads a lot for photo editing, but I can do most of what I need on an iPad now (just touchups and cleaning up photos), so I'm not I would get much use out of these now
Mar 19, 2012
872 posts
181 upvotes
Is this good for kids who does their test, school work etc. On ipads, laptops? Thank you.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2718 posts
1547 upvotes
Toronto
juldum wrote: Price aside, how does this compare to an iPad and Apple Pencil?
I do wonder if the popularity of all tablets (not just iPad), have eaten into Wacom's profits.
If you've used a Wacom with their stylus', you know it's a pretty good tactile feedback.

Better than say an Apple Pencil on glass.
However, seeing what you draw directly on screen is hard to beat. It's just a more natural extension and similar to putting pencil to paper.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2212 posts
626 upvotes
Canada
This is my first time venturing into these devices.
I purchased the small version from last week’s sale and still waiting for delivery.
I occasionally have to explain an idea during Teams meeting and current approach is to open Paint and use the mouse to draw.
My plan would be to use Paint and Wacom pen in my Teams meeting.
Would a medium size be better suited for my planned use?
Anyone is similar situation or have recommendations?
Aug 15, 2012
121 posts
77 upvotes
Can someone with this comment on whether I can plug this into work laptop (without admin rights) and it'll work without installing anything extra? I primarily would use it for not taking and drawing something in Teams whiteboard. Thanks.
Sep 14, 2009
216 posts
368 upvotes
rogermobile wrote: Can someone with this comment on whether I can plug this into work laptop (without admin rights) and it'll work without installing anything extra? I primarily would use it for not taking and drawing something in Teams whiteboard. Thanks.
No, didn't work on mine. Wouldn't install drivers without getting admin privilege to install first.
Aug 15, 2012
121 posts
77 upvotes
jimchang wrote:
No, didn't work on mine. Wouldn't install drivers without getting admin privilege to install first.
Thanks, yeah I couldn't get for both wired and Bluetooth to work without drivers It wouldn't even allow it to be used as a pointing/mouse device unfortunately.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6629 posts
703 upvotes
Etobicoke
juldum wrote: Price aside, how does this compare to an iPad and Apple Pencil?
The key is not so much Apple Pencil vs Wacom. The key is what software do you use to draw? Apple pencil only works on various models of iPads and iOS compatible software. Wacom works with Mac or Windows. And if you have a PC at work and Mac at home, you can use the Wacom with both.

The interface does take some used to as you need to focus on the screen instead of pen tip to see what you're drawing. And the scale is not one to one although you can make adjustments in the software.

Wacom also makes Cintiq model if you prefer to draw on the screen. They've been in business for a long time. I'm still using an older 9X12 graphics tablet with serial interface. The pen does not wear out since there are no electronics in it and no battery to install. There is also a huge plethora of pens, nibs, airbrush, etc. you can get.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 18, 2003
6629 posts
703 upvotes
Etobicoke
zoomzoom wrote: This is my first time venturing into these devices.
I purchased the small version from last week’s sale and still waiting for delivery.
I occasionally have to explain an idea during Teams meeting and current approach is to open Paint and use the mouse to draw.
My plan would be to use Paint and Wacom pen in my Teams meeting.
Would a medium size be better suited for my planned use?
Anyone is similar situation or have recommendations?
It takes some getting used to. Because the movement you seen on screen does not correlate to the amount of hand movement they way you are used to with paper drawings. You can adjust via software but it's never the same. So you need to train yourself. Bigger tablets more closely mimic screen size so you may feel more natural. But if you only plan to use it with MS Paint (which is very basic and limited compared to illustration software) for quick drawings, I think the small size will suffice. It all comes down to how much you want to carry around.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2212 posts
626 upvotes
Canada
eelfliw wrote: It takes some getting used to. Because the movement you seen on screen does not correlate to the amount of hand movement they way you are used to with paper drawings. You can adjust via software but it's never the same. So you need to train yourself. Bigger tablets more closely mimic screen size so you may feel more natural. But if you only plan to use it with MS Paint (which is very basic and limited compared to illustration software) for quick drawings, I think the small size will suffice. It all comes down to how much you want to carry around.
Thanks. In the end I kept the small version and have successfully used it in a few meetings and it has met my expectations. It didn't take long to acquaint myself with pen-movement to screen-display and screen-size. My setup uses 32" monitors. If I were looking for a tablet for photo-shop work, I would probably get the medium or large. But I found using the small for adhoc drawings in Team meetings to work just fine. Glad I have it in the arsenal for presentations and meetings.