Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Warm - [$109.99] Samsung 512GB 100MB/S (U3) Microsd EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME512GA/AM)

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2020 10:35 pm
[OP]
Newbie
User avatar
Aug 15, 2017
18 posts
17 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Warm - [$109.99] Samsung 512GB 100MB/S (U3) Microsd EVO Select Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME512GA/AM)

Might be a duplicate but I only saw the sandisk offer. This is the exclusive brand that Amazon was given by Samsung so trust is a non issue.

Will update if necessary

Edit**
I guess I should add that with any storage purchase there are many programs that can be used to check out their specifications.

The price is not the lowest all time but unless you want to wait until it gets lower or you have a time capsule it's a decent price.

Can't win with people nowadays.
Last edited by Hyakuman on Feb 19th, 2020 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
19 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
2792 posts
1340 upvotes
Toronto
I read some of the reviews and there seems to be a lot of Samsung fakes in there. I assume it's similar to how there are some fake SanDisk cards.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Sr. Member
Nov 26, 2013
776 posts
692 upvotes
Winnipeg
ds2chan wrote: I read some of the reviews and there seems to be a lot of Samsung fakes in there. I assume it's similar to how there are some fake SanDisk cards.
This has come up in past threads - these particular cards are not fake (provided they are shipped and sold by Amazon). The price is okay. IIRC, the best price to jump in on these was $90 or so, therefore I don't think it's too warm a deal.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 11, 2003
2792 posts
1340 upvotes
Toronto
ReaperEXE wrote: This has come up in past threads - these particular cards are not fake (provided they are shipped and sold by Amazon). The price is okay. IIRC, the best price to jump in on these was $90 or so, therefore I don't think it's too warm a deal.
People were saying the SanDisk cards that were sold and shipped from Amazon were fakes too. I have never ordered SD cards from Amazon because of this but some of the reviews for SanDisk are saying that the cards being sold by Amazon are probably mixed in with the cards sold by other sellers. Of course, this is just an assumption and nobody but Amazon knows.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Sr. Member
Dec 9, 2001
811 posts
585 upvotes
Vancouver
There are generally no fakes of the Evo Select (green color) because it's an Amazon exclusive. You cannot buy it outside Amazon.
No funny inventory from Chinese scammers to mix up the stock.

Evo Plus (red color) which is the non-Amazon exclusive has fakes everywhere, including the ones sold on Amazon.
The two cards are pretty much identical in terms of performance.

Many years ago, Sandisk used to have something called "frustration free packaging". It's a generic OEM packaging in a cardboard envelope for sites like Amazon. Those were pretty much legit. I'm not sure why they stopped doing it though.
Last edited by ShocWave on Feb 19th, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sr. Member
Mar 11, 2019
680 posts
704 upvotes
All the Samsung micro sd cards in bought around Christmas were legit. A couple didnt pass the Samsung verification test but were legit cards just too old for the test.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
ShocWave wrote: There are no generally no fakes of the Evo Select (green color) because it's an Amazon exclusive. You cannot buy it outside Amazon.
No funny inventory from Chinese scammers to mix up the stock.

Evo Plus (red color) which is the non-Amazon exclusive has fakes everywhere, including the ones sold on Amazon.
The two cards are pretty much identical in terms of performance.
If you look at the US site, there is another seller that sells these so the possibility that fakes have leaked into the inventory is non-zero. I'd test it with H2testw just so be safe anyways.
Sr. Member
Dec 9, 2001
811 posts
585 upvotes
Vancouver
Jep4444 wrote: If you look at the US site, there is another seller that sells these so the possibility that fakes have leaked into the inventory is non-zero. I'd test it with H2testw just so be safe anyways.
The risk can exist with any brand, but I think in terms of supply, there are more fakes of non-exclusive cards.
So if you were buying a card from Amazon, the risk would be greatly reduced by choosing Samsung Evo Select over another alternative.

It's always a good idea to perform a read test on any new memory card or hard disk you buy, just in case it's defective.
You don't want it to fail after writing 500GB of pictures onto it, then crapping out at the 501th GB.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
ShocWave wrote: The risk can exist with any brand, but I think in terms of supply, there are more fakes of non-exclusive cards.
So if you were buying a card from Amazon, the risk would be greatly reduced by choosing Samsung Evo Select over another alternative.
Oh for sure, the point is it doesn't really matter what you buy on Amazon, I'd rather test it than not.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4420 posts
1456 upvotes
I wish my phone would take SD cards. I always run out of space and drives me crazy!
Jr. Member
Jan 2, 2019
111 posts
287 upvotes
This is regular price. I've been following this card for a while, it's gone down to $95 via Amazon Warehouse, and dipped to $90 during the holidays but regular price is $109.

Check 3C for proof, RFD won't let me post a link.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2011
1380 posts
1640 upvotes
Knowhere
Sold by Amazon is one thing, sold by 3rd party and shipped by Amazon is another thing
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
lightmeup wrote: Sold by Amazon is one thing, sold by 3rd party and shipped by Amazon is another thing
Stock can get mixed between Amazon and Fulfilled by Amazon, that's why you hear reports of people getting fakes with items sold directly by Amazon.
Member
Dec 16, 2015
226 posts
118 upvotes
BC
i bought a 128gb SD card the other day and ran through 3 of the 11 tests on this site link. very useful, if not time consuming. i highly recommend at least doing 2 and 3.
Member
Feb 5, 2013
216 posts
130 upvotes
In my opinion these stories about amazon mixing stock are possible but highly unlinkely. They don't mix in the warehouses. I'm pretty sure most of these cases are people who bought from third party and shipped by amazon, as they were clueless.

I've bought several sd cards from amazon and have 0 fakes in 8 years.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto
BearBraz wrote: In my opinion these stories about amazon mixing stock are possible but highly unlinkely. They don't mix in the warehouses. I'm pretty sure most of these cases are people who bought from third party and shipped by amazon, as they were clueless.

I've bought several sd cards from amazon and have 0 fakes in 8 years.
What Amazon does is if an order is placed and there is no stock from that seller in a local warehouse but there is from another seller, they'll send the other sellers item. This means there are two ways it can happen, either your most local warehouse is sold out of the Amazon owned product (somewhat unlikely though not impossible) or when an order was placed with a third party seller and that seller is not local to the buyer, they send the item from their own stock and replace their own inventory with that from the sellers (this seems more likely to happen). So yes the odds of a fake go down but it does happen and it's been confirmed that people have indeed received counterfeit items from Amazon in the past. It's really not a big deal as long as you test the memory card since Amazon will replace the item if it is a fake.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 12, 2017
20483 posts
5852 upvotes
Scarberia
Hot if 70$ allin
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Member
Mar 31, 2009
268 posts
218 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan
lukewarm at best. The price is still 22% higher than prior to Christmas. The all-time low is $89, according to my automated *************** plugin. So paying $20 more now, especially when there are competing products always priced less expensive is comical.

"Time machine blah blah".. well, if you actually need a new memory card now, price doesn't make much difference anytime does it? That claim is just an excuse for being a lazy PoS.

The Lexar and Patriot 512Gb SDXC cards have been selling below $100 consistently for months, and many people have had good reviews and good experience with them - I have several of each and they have run all tests successfully, and proven reliable for months. Samsung cards haven't proven better performers or better priced than any other brand-name product on the market so there's nothing to justify a price premium for them.


Oh, what's that?
The Sandisk 512Gb card is now on for $99? (actually, this is already trending upwards - it was $92 earlier this week)
Last edited by AmRando on Feb 19th, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Member
Mar 31, 2009
268 posts
218 upvotes
Soviet Canuckistan
"To shreds, you say."

Top