• May 28th, 2021 4:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2010
2192 posts
1197 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] warm: Abus Granit XPlus 540 U-lock - $138.42

one of the top notch u-locks in the market... very good review and reputation brand.

i know this cannot survive if bike theft is holding an angle grinder... none of the ulock can be survived and it just breaks apart like a butter, but this lock needs at least '2-cuts' in order to break it literally lol. given the fact that i also have a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit mini (rated as 10/10)

was $199 for the past few weeks... altho it's not the lowest price compares to $120 ish, but i need one for my new e-bike...

few links below are attached for reference. hope it helps the community... quite surprise toronto turns out to a city like this... while cops arent doing anything about it... at all.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE
Nearly 4,000 bikes reported stolen in Toronto throughout 2020 :twisted:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7739568/bike ... olice/amp/

Images
  • abus.jpg
8 replies
May 15, 2006
25 posts
18 upvotes

Here's the Lockpicking Lawyer's video on it.
"So it isn't too hard to pick if you have the right tools, but I do think it's certainly enough pick resistance to secure a bike on the street."
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3030 posts
2844 upvotes
Montreal
Lier X Agerate wrote:

"So it isn't too hard to pick if you have the right tools, but I do think it's certainly enough pick resistance to secure a bike on the street."
Translation, for those who don't watch his videos: "this lock is impossible to pick by any normal bike thief."
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2006
1206 posts
239 upvotes
Price jumped to $153 and already temporarily OOs.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2010
2192 posts
1197 upvotes
Toronto
flimbs wrote: Price jumped to $153 and already temporarily OOs.
Currently it shows $138.42.. u can still place the order and it ships when available
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2010
2192 posts
1197 upvotes
Toronto
Lier X Agerate wrote:

This guy is genius and he can literally pick any bike locks... So what are you trying to say? What s the point of buying a lock or what?
Feb 22, 2011
163 posts
111 upvotes
Richmond Hill
woolo wrote: This guy is genius and he can literally pick any bike locks... So what are you trying to say? What s the point of buying a lock or what?
More generally, there is no guaranteed defence against bike theft: any defence can be breached given adequate time, preparation, and determination, but sufficient defensive measures will make it less likely for your bike to be stolen within a given time frame.

The essential take-aways from this video are thus:
  • The lock is very well-built and highly resistant to destructive measures
  • The lock requires specialized skills and tooling to pick
  • Should be secure against opportunistic bike thieves

Bike theft is as common as it is because it is easy to pull off, with few serious penalties if you are caught, potentially high rewards given the cost of higher-end bikes, and requires a generally low skill ceiling. A solid u-lock that is at the very least resistant to or proofed against the largest bolt cutters will suffice to deter most opportunistic thefts, so with a good lock, you can probably leave your bike at a rack unattended for anywhere from 20 minutes up to an hour in an urban setting. Almost nothing is really immune to an angle grinder, though certain u-locks and chain locks might make the job more difficult. It also creates a lot of noise and draws attention, so it's not entirely likely that a bike thief would it as their primary tool.
Last edited by Alceister on May 28th, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 26, 2017
352 posts
183 upvotes
I've used this bike lock in combination with a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit U-Lock. In my experience, it has prevented at least two bike thefts. How do I know? I noticed pinch and scuff marks (staggered) on both bike locks.

I use both locks for storage - 1 on the frame and the 2nd on the rear wheels/accessory lock.
I use one on the go - the Abus one since it's much lighter.
Public Mobile, 12GB LTE/3mo/$120 plan
---
I am in compliance with all forum rules
Dec 9, 2006
264 posts
60 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks OP, got $5 off using TD points with the activation