• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2020 12:22 pm
[OP]
Dec 16, 2005
138 posts
97 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.ca] [Warm] D-Link 8 Port Gigabit Desktop Switch (DGS-108 ) $29.99

Deal of the day for another 8+ hours. Unfortunately not as cheap as it was at BB last October ($24).

About this item

Eight (8) 10/100/1000 Mbps Ports
Inexpensive Gigabit Ethernet solution for SOHO, small and medium businesses
Supports IEEE 802.1p QoS traffic prioritization
Built to last: Rugged metal housing, fanless
Limited lifetime warranty
8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Plug-n-Play Installation
Speeds Up to 10x Faster than 10/100 Ethernet
Dlink Green Eco-Friendly Power Design
IEEE 802.1P QoS Support for Superior Traffic Prioritization
17 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10350 posts
6808 upvotes
Has anyone seen a decent sale on a managed gigabit switch (don't need POE)?
Jun 16, 2019
137 posts
283 upvotes
Ethanz wrote: different models, but don't know what's difference ...
Well obviously they are different brands lol
[OP]
Dec 16, 2005
138 posts
97 upvotes
Montreal
Ethanz wrote: different models, but don't know what's difference ...
The same question was asked about similar Netgear 8 port switch the last time it went on sale. One difference is that this D-Link has dual LEDs:
Warlock wrote: Your D-Link has dual LEDs per port, which is preferable by many.
LEDs handy for early indication of a network cable failure.
e.g. Failing/loose RJ45 connectors usually cause the LED to indictate 100 Mb/s instead of 1000 Mb/s.

The Netgear has single LED per port.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4734 posts
5814 upvotes
Toronto, ON
No time machine, but still can't beat the 8 port Netgear GSS108E last Boxing Day, wish I picked up two.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1011 posts
419 upvotes
er34er34 wrote: No time machine, but still can't beat the 8 port Netgear GSS108E last Boxing Day, wish I picked up two.
I saw this Netgear for $24.99
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
3297 posts
2869 upvotes
Toronto
er34er34 wrote: No time machine, but still can't beat the 8 port Netgear GSS108E last Boxing Day, wish I picked up two.
I bought one of these also, still have it in the box.

Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1371 posts
344 upvotes
I tired of having multiple 8 port switches. Anyone suggest a good 16 port switch?
Sep 3, 2010
160 posts
137 upvotes
Friends don’t recommend friend dlink product; therefore, OP is not my friend...
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
14267 posts
4017 upvotes
Scarberia
how much was it? can't have too many switches! i need one more to hook up to my lyra voice router, as it only has ONE out ethernet port
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2779 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto
tatung wrote: I tired of having multiple 8 port switches. Anyone suggest a good 16 port switch?
If you don't mind paying extra for a 24 ports switch
and
Like features of Flow Control, Port Isolation & Storm Control,
There is the D-Link DGS-1024D, which goes on sale occasionally for $119.99 plus taxes.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1371 posts
344 upvotes
Warlock wrote: If you don't mind paying extra for a 24 ports switch
and
Like features of Flow Control, Port Isolation & Storm Control,
There is the D-Link DGS-1024D, which goes on sale occasionally for $119.99 plus taxes.
Thank you for the suggestion. Couldn't find marketing material on what those three things are. What are they?
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2004
2779 posts
791 upvotes
Toronto
tatung wrote: ... Couldn't find marketing material on what those three things are. What are they?
Following posted at D-Link:

Flow Control throttles connections to ensure reliability during heavy usage periods by reducing packet loss and wasteful data re-transmission.

Storm Control and Port Isolation mitigate the effects of broadcast storms caused by rogue software and malware, which can propagate across the network and bring communication to a standstill.

Energy-Efficient Ethernet (EEE) conserves energy by dynamically reducing power consumption when data activity is low.

Additional notes:
Port Isolation: When enabled, ports 1 to 23 will be isolated from each other, but will still be able to communicate with port 24.
Port 24 will be able to communicate with all the ports available on the switch.
Think smart tv and the like, which has no business accessing your local network. They should only be accessing the internet to grab your viewing materials.
Flow Control: Some devices do not play nice with flow control, since they deviate/fail to meet industry standards.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1371 posts
344 upvotes
Warlock wrote: Following posted at D-Link:

Flow Control throttles connections to ensure reliability during heavy usage periods by reducing packet loss and wasteful data re-transmission.

Storm Control and Port Isolation mitigate the effects of broadcast storms caused by rogue software and malware, which can propagate across the network and bring communication to a standstill.

Energy-Efficient Ethernet (EEE) conserves energy by dynamically reducing power consumption when data activity is low.

Additional notes:
Port Isolation: When enabled, ports 1 to 23 will be isolated from each other, but will still be able to communicate with port 24.
Port 24 will be able to communicate with all the ports available on the switch.
Think smart tv and the like, which has no business accessing your local network. They should only be accessing the internet to grab your viewing materials.
Flow Control: Some devices do not play nice with flow control, since they deviate/fail to meet industry standards.
Awesome thanks.