• Jun 30th, 2020 1:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4588 posts
1969 upvotes
Ottawa

[Amazon.ca] warm - EBL 16-Pack AAA 1100mAh Rechargeable Batteries Ni-MH $25.73

On a scale of regular price to wowza, this is a "meh" but it's a decent price for good quality AAA rechargeables. I have never seen these lower. I don't see the advantage of the "battery cases" but I supposed you could label them with a charging date or whatever.

Anywho..
  • Low self discharge: the AAA batteries keep about 75% capacity although they are not in use for 3 years
  • Long battery life: the high capacity 1100mAh AAA batteries have 1200 cycles of recharging
  • UL certified batteries with upgraded battery core. Great for household devices such as digital cameras, toys, remote controls, hand held games, 2-way radios, PDAs, flashlights, alarm-clocks, LCD-TVs, toothbrushes, shavers, portable audio players etc
  • What you get: EBL AAA 1100mAh Rechargeable Batteries X16, Battery Case X 4
21 replies
Dec 7, 2012
845 posts
487 upvotes
Ontario
Just a heads up this brand massively overrates their cells. Only 50% rated capacity after self discharging for only a year despite 75%/3 year claims. I'd get the ikea ones when on sale.

Your advertisement here
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2007
1222 posts
449 upvotes
Toronto
EliteJay wrote: Just a heads up this brand massively overrates their cells. Only 50% rated capacity after self discharging for only a year despite 75%/3 year claims. I'd get the ikea ones when on sale.

Completely agree. Just grab the Ikea batteries and save yourself the headaches. I've used all kinds of rechargable battery brands and never had an issue with Ikea and Eneloop batteries. I've purchased the Amazon ones for instance and have had many faulty batteries.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4588 posts
1969 upvotes
Ottawa
Teletran wrote: Completely agree. Just grab the Ikea batteries and save yourself the headaches. I've used all kinds of rechargable battery brands and never had an issue with Ikea and Eneloop batteries. I've purchased the Amazon ones for instance and have had many faulty batteries.
I don't like the Amazon ones. I do like these EBLs. Who makes the Ikea batteries?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2007
2136 posts
229 upvotes
Mississauga
I wouldn't buy these again. I ran break in my MH-C9000 when I got them and they seem according to specs. Fully charged all and kept in a drawer for 2 months. All dead and have to be recharged. Amazon Basics works a lot better.
May 15, 2019
42 posts
50 upvotes
You want to buy Japanese made batteries, the Ikea are made in Japan. Amazon basics use to be made in Japan but are now Chinese.
Oct 7, 2013
81 posts
167 upvotes
Ottawa
CaptSmethwick wrote: On a scale of regular price to wowza, this is a "meh" but it's a decent price for good quality AAA rechargeables. I have never seen these lower. I don't see the advantage of the "battery cases" but I supposed you could label them with a charging date or whatever.

Anywho..
  • Low self discharge: the AAA batteries keep about 75% capacity although they are not in use for 3 years
  • Long battery life: the high capacity 1100mAh AAA batteries have 1200 cycles of recharging
  • UL certified batteries with upgraded battery core. Great for household devices such as digital cameras, toys, remote controls, hand held games, 2-way radios, PDAs, flashlights, alarm-clocks, LCD-TVs, toothbrushes, shavers, portable audio players etc
  • What you get: EBL AAA 1100mAh Rechargeable Batteries X16, Battery Case X 4
Worst batteries ever! I bought these and they completely discharge while on the shelf within a couple months, after being fully charged. Don’t buy, you’ll be disappointed. Spend the extra money on Eneloop.
Oct 7, 2013
81 posts
167 upvotes
Ottawa
CaptSmethwick wrote: I don't like the Amazon ones. I do like these EBLs. Who makes the Ikea batteries?
Amazon batteries and EBL are total crap. Eneloop are the only batteries that won’t completely discharge while on the shelf.
Jul 8, 2013
107 posts
99 upvotes
AMHERST
HarelD475 wrote: Amazon batteries and EBL are total crap. Eneloop are the only batteries that won’t completely discharge while on the shelf.
AmazonBasics used to *be* Eneloops.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9944 posts
820 upvotes
Toronto
Ikea ladda batteries are rebranded
Panasonic Eneloop pro batteries
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Nov 24, 2014
393 posts
322 upvotes
Quebec, QC
I have Eneloops, Amazon Basics and EBL batteries and to be honest, I much prefer the EBL because of the higher capacity. Amazon Basics and EBL have similar "shelf performance", but the extra ~40% capacity in the EBL is a game changer for me. As for the Eneloops, they seem durable, but they drain so much faster than my EBL that I only use them when I'm out of EBL.

Maybe if you have a stash of 100+ batteries that you barely use, then having Eneloops that keeps most of their charge for 3 years is worth it. But when you go through a bunch of batteries every few months because of kids' toys, controllers, etc.. the extra capacity is much more useful than shelf life.
Oct 7, 2013
81 posts
167 upvotes
Ottawa
joshfindit wrote: AmazonBasics used to *be* Eneloops.
“Used to be”? Well, when I bought them, they certainly had very quick discharge rates while sitting on the shelf, while my Eneloop batteries held their charge much longer, so they may “used to be Eneloops”, but not when I bought them.
Jul 8, 2013
107 posts
99 upvotes
AMHERST
HarelD475 wrote: “Used to be”? Well, when I bought them, they certainly had very quick discharge rates while sitting on the shelf, while my Eneloop batteries held their charge much longer, so they may “used to be Eneloops”, but not when I bought them.
From what I understand, they were originally just rebranded Eneloops, but at some point they started mixing in inferior batteries (or ones produced at an inferior plant; details are hazy), and it’s likely now that they have either stepped away from Eneloops entirely, or those are a much smaller percentage, as I see most people having issues with AmazonBasics that they wouldn’t be having with Eneloops.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4588 posts
1969 upvotes
Ottawa
I have to admit that I only use rechargeables in very low-demand items and/or cordless phones (which are cradled in charging stands) so these EBLs do just fine for me. They are also a fraction of the cost of Eneloops - which I admit are better. Weird that the EBLs are so well rated by Amazon buyers when people here seem to hold them in such disregard.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3643 posts
1952 upvotes
CaptSmethwick wrote: Weird that the EBLs are so well rated by Amazon buyers when people here seem to hold them in such disregard.
F rating on fakespot.com