• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2020 7:48 pm
[OP]
Jan 5, 2013
104 posts
87 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.ca] WARM: Garmin Vivoactive 4 $399.99

Certainly not hot but perhaps warm for some: Garmin Vivoactive 4 is down to $399.99 at Amazon.ca again.
I was looking to upgrade my Garmin Fenix 3HR and wanted a smaller form factor (Garmin Fenix 5x was on sale for $399 just the other week at Best Buy) and after doing some research landed on the Vivoactive 4 that overall received great reviews.
(The price is the same at Best Buy and others btw but Best Buy ships via Canada Post which right now means you can receive your parcel anywhere between 2 days to 2 months ...)
22 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2019
1427 posts
1703 upvotes
They had this sale a month ago or so. It was at all retailers so it may be the same this time. Amazon, Best Buy, MEC, Garmin, Costco, etc. Also, check if the GoodLife discount applies (if you're a member).
Jul 2, 2019
12 posts
2 upvotes
Any reason to get this over Vivoactive 3 for CAD199? There doesnt seem to be a compeling reason other than one extra physical button.
The rest is mostly the same.
Dec 17, 2018
301 posts
448 upvotes
Ottawa
Definitely a warm deal. It is $383 with the GL discount and you have to pay $12 shipping PLUS they are shipping with UPS right now. UPS is struggling with the heavy volumes and it is taking around a week longer than advertised for many items to arrive.

I have the VA3M. I have the VA3. I bought it when the GL discount was better and the VA3 was only $150 plus shipping. I have decided to skip the VA4. I like the touchscreen and as a runner, cyclist, hiker etc the VA3 does everything that I need. I didn't prefer the VA3M over it and when it broke, I switched to the VA3, no music. Personally I didn't use the music feature enough to get any value out of it AND it was murder to the battery life.

Current GL price of the VA3M is $280 plus taxes and $12 shipping. I just ordered one for a friend.
Public Mobile 2016 $120/90 days hold out
Tiffany December 2021 recipient
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2019
1427 posts
1703 upvotes
JoaoPauloB93228 wrote: Any reason to get this over Vivoactive 3 for CAD199? There doesnt seem to be a compeling reason other than one extra physical button.
Not a huge difference. VA4 has a slightly bigger screen, better battery, music (VA3 Music version exists but costs a bit more), body battery, pulse OX, a few extra exercises. Wouldn't say it's worth double the price.

I bought the Venu a while back, which is essentially the VA4 with a better screen. I love it! Never owned a previous Garmin watch. It's pricey but I had a couple gift cards to put towards it so it didn't sting the wallet as much. :)
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
10690 posts
4057 upvotes
JoaoPauloB93228 wrote: Any reason to get this over Vivoactive 3 for CAD199? There doesnt seem to be a compeling reason other than one extra physical button.
One of the major differences is the one button on the 3 vs two buttons on the 4. So functionally the 4 is better
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Jan 24, 2016
110 posts
164 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I bought the VA3 a couple of years ago for $250 and I’d have a hard time rationalizing the extra cost for the VA4. I use it for running and biking as well as regular activity tracking (steps, stairs, etc) and my only real issue is the battery life (often have to charge every 2-3 days depending on how much gps I use). I thought about upgrading to the VA4 for battery life, but sounds like tons of people are still having issues with that. As for the one button limitation, unless you want to do splits it’s really not needed. The VA3 does offer a double tap screen option for laps, but it doesn’t work very well in my experience.
[OP]
Jan 5, 2013
104 posts
87 upvotes
Montreal
snazarella wrote: Definitely a warm deal. It is $383 with the GL discount and you have to pay $12 shipping PLUS they are shipping with UPS right now. UPS is struggling with the heavy volumes and it is taking around a week longer than advertised for many items to arrive.

I have the VA3M. I have the VA3. I bought it when the GL discount was better and the VA3 was only $150 plus shipping. I have decided to skip the VA4. I like the touchscreen and as a runner, cyclist, hiker etc the VA3 does everything that I need. I didn't prefer the VA3M over it and when it broke, I switched to the VA3, no music. Personally I didn't use the music feature enough to get any value out of it AND it was murder to the battery life.

Current GL price of the VA3M is $280 plus taxes and $12 shipping. I just ordered one for a friend.
Yeah, the shipping issues are the main reason I posted the Amazon.ca deal as in my experience their own logistics shipping is still the most reliable. I have ordered a few items throughout the last couple of months and they all arrived within the stated timeframe. That is with one exception one item that was shipped from Brampton, ON to MTL via Canada Post. Long story short, the item label was created May 25 and it is still not picked up as of today.
In general I can also second the comments re UPS who equally seems to struggle. Had an item being out for delivery three times over the cause of a good week before it was finally delivered.
Dec 14, 2007
605 posts
571 upvotes
snazarella wrote: Definitely a warm deal. It is $383 with the GL discount and you have to pay $12 shipping PLUS they are shipping with UPS right now. UPS is struggling with the heavy volumes and it is taking around a week longer than advertised for many items to arrive.

What has the GL discount changed to now?
Jul 2, 2019
12 posts
2 upvotes
Ok,
So i'm looking at the VENU now. I've got a VivoActive 3 (recently bought, still have time to return). I am seriously thinking of returning it and getting the Venu. The screen is the low point of the VA3. VA4, as discussed above, doesnt justify the 399 price tag (compared to the va3).
For anyone using the VENU, how well does the not-always-on screen work? Reasonable? Because I read that if its always on, battery only lasts two days.
Dec 17, 2018
301 posts
448 upvotes
Ottawa
freewheel wrote: What has the GL discount changed to now?
It's only 20% now.
Public Mobile 2016 $120/90 days hold out
Tiffany December 2021 recipient
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2019
1427 posts
1703 upvotes
JoaoPauloB93228 wrote: Ok,
So i'm looking at the VENU now. I've got a VivoActive 3 (recently bought, still have time to return). I am seriously thinking of returning it and getting the Venu. The screen is the low point of the VA3. VA4, as discussed above, doesnt justify the 399 price tag (compared to the va3).
For anyone using the VENU, how well does the not-always-on screen work? Reasonable? Because I read that if its always on, battery only lasts two days.
I have the Venu. Been using it for a month or two. I have no issues with the screen. I turn my wrist, it lights up so I can see it them shuts off after whatever delay you set. With mostly default settings on the device I get maybe 5-7 days. I've started using pulse OX and running with GPS a few times a week so it's probably closer to about 5 days for me right now which is way better than what I was used to with Wear OS.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20506 posts
9950 upvotes
Oakville
Decent deal, and the 3 for $199 is an excellent deal too. I had the 3, but had issues with it not correctly measuring elevation (I would start and finish at home, it would tell me that I finished 40m below my starting altitude). Tried getting Garmin to replace it under warranty, they said it was a "known issue" and they would "let me know when a fix came out" - a year later and still no fix, so I used my Geek Squad warranty (got it discounted on a price match when I bought it) to get the full purchase price back. All of these companies have their reports of terrible warranty service, but this has kinda pushed me away from Garmin for a while. Plus, getting data out of the Garmin ecosystem was kind of a giant pain in the ass.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3673 posts
382 upvotes
Toronto
JoaoPauloB93228 wrote: Ok,
I had the vivoactive 3 for about 2 months but now i have a venu. i much prefer the venu cause things works better on it. if you are only wearing it for sports, i would just stick with the va3. otherwise, venu is slightly better in every category than the va3.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2011
1911 posts
638 upvotes
Vancouver
The venu is the same price too .. I guess it's better to go for the venu
[OP]
Jan 5, 2013
104 posts
87 upvotes
Montreal
Reading the comments about VA4 vs Venu I opted for the VA4 due to the “always on” display yet still longer battery time.
The experience I had with my Fenix 3HR was the main reason for this.
For one, the transflexive display is excellent (no AMOLED of course but still great) and I took it on vacation for a whole week and could just leave my charger at home. Did daily runs and kayaking which I tracked, switched it off at night and still came home with 20% charge after a week.
So I hope the VA4 will have the same performance.
But at the end of the day it comes down to personal requirements. Both are great watches and I was very happy with my Fenix for the two years that I used it.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1770 posts
1120 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I would definitely buy the Forerunner 245 instead. Buttons are way better on a watch like this
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3817 posts
299 upvotes
brobinsoncc wrote: I would definitely buy the Forerunner 245 instead. Buttons are way better on a watch like this
FR245 music is the same price - $399. Have one - no complaints!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)