• Last Updated:
  • Aug 27th, 2021 10:57 am
[OP]
Oct 8, 2013
367 posts
319 upvotes
Dartmouth

[Amazon.ca] Warm - Hisense 75U68G - 75" TV - $1,698

I've been on the lookout for a new TV and this seems pretty darn good. Notable omissions are variable refresh rate and HDMI 2.1. So it's not going to be ideal for next gen consoles.

Rtings seems to think it's pretty great.

Seems like it's a historical low price and picture quality should beat out most competition at comparable price.

Notable bonuses are local dimming, dolbyvision and operating on android rather than Roku.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2011
1426 posts
1158 upvotes
Gatineau
williamsauga wrote: 60 Hz
Do you really expect a high end 120hz panel at this price, for a 75"?
Maybe I can build a house with all the boxes from stuff I've bought off RFD
Dec 11, 2009
985 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto, ON
This seems like a great budget TV and size is king.
Only reason I don't get it is because I'm looking for a TV for a really bright room. This TV has excellent reflection handling but it can't get as bright as other TVs (e.g.: 950X, U8G) so it won't work well in my particular scenario (bright room).
Nov 26, 2015
145 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MoreDealsPlease wrote: This seems like a great budget TV and size is king.
Only reason I don't get it is because I'm looking for a TV for a really bright room. This TV has excellent reflection handling but it can't get as bright as other TVs (e.g.: 950X, U8G) so it won't work well in my particular scenario (bright room).
I am in the same boat. I feel no TV could handle the bright room perfectly (except those pricy LG OLED) and wondering how much improvement 950X (just for example) can be?
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2005
1382 posts
513 upvotes
babykings wrote: I am in the same boat. I feel no TV could handle the bright room perfectly (except those pricy LG OLED) and wondering how much improvement 950X (just for example) can be?
Most tech reviews say OLED is NOT good in bright rooms. I have no idea, so I'm just confused.
Aug 28, 2019
19 posts
23 upvotes
Richmond Hill
OLED TVs don't get as bright generally speaking. Qled TVs are the way to go you are watching in a bright room
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2011
2362 posts
5129 upvotes
Mississauga
If you are planning to buy a budget brand tv, I suggest purchasing an extended warranty. Most budget TVs offer great features for the price, but things can go wrong with them from time to time. I had owned Vizio, TCL and Sharp brands in the past, and after a few years, had issues. Thankfully I usually bought the extended warranty and didn't have to worry.
Dec 11, 2009
985 posts
565 upvotes
Toronto, ON
babykings wrote: I am in the same boat. I feel no TV could handle the bright room perfectly (except those pricy LG OLED) and wondering how much improvement 950X (just for example) can be?
I have an LG OLED, I can tell you that it has excellent reflection handling but it's doesn't get as bright as other TVs, so for a very bright room it's not great. Something like the Sony X950H has both Excellent reflection handling and gets very bright so it would work much better.

^I ignored the above and tried to go with an LG OLED in a bright room and it just sucks because the image gets washed out.
Jul 29, 2018
66 posts
81 upvotes
Good post OP, it's a decent deal if you're OK with HiSense.

lol reading these suggestions are painful...on a $1700 TV, people are saying to instead go for 75" 120hz, OLED or X950H, which range from $2700-$7000.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2005
2210 posts
728 upvotes
Ottawa
BillyBill wrote: kinda... ya.

you can get a 75" 120hz Hisense for $2200. And that's not a sale or anything.

https://www.amazon.ca/Hisense-75U78G-Vi ... 831&sr=8-6

I wouldn't spend $1700 for only 60hz when you could probably get a 120hz TV for a little bit more.
It's a good TV but I wouldn't pay $2,200 for it. I've had mine for only a few days but overall I'm impressed. Although I'm not sure I'll ever end up using the 120hz since my only gaming device is a Switch.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
24391 posts
31332 upvotes
Rudy wrote: It's a good TV but I wouldn't pay $2,200 for it. I've had mine for only a few days but overall I'm impressed. Although I'm not sure I'll ever end up using the 120hz since my only gaming device is a Switch.
You'll be impressed if you ever get an XSX.
[OP]
Oct 8, 2013
367 posts
319 upvotes
Dartmouth
If you need 120hz, then there are options. Most obvious would be the TCL 6 series. That was on a few months ago for a good price at BB. If I had a time machine, I'd be giving that a hard look. That being said, Rtings rates this better and running android is a big get in my books as I am heavily invested in the google smart home ecosystem.

I have a low end hisense in the bedroom and it's been great. No issues at all. I don't know enough to fully vouch for the quality of the brand but it seems like Hisence and TCL are doing some amazing things at a lower price point. That being said, I have had excellent success with the visa extended warranty in the past, so between the manufacturer warranty (which I assume is a year) and visa (another year), I feel reasonably safe.

Mine is going in a reasonably bright room so I suppose that may be an issue but without a point of comparison directly next to it, I doubt I will notice anything.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2006
1247 posts
701 upvotes
GTA
I'm waiting for the TCL Series 6 - R646 in 75" to be released.