• Jan 30th, 2021 7:19 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1216 posts
2526 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

[Amazon.ca] Warm: Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box (All time low) $288.21

Looks like the Philips Hue Play has hit an all time low price point of $288.21. I will not be purchasing one and will likely wait for a clearance price somewhere, which means I'll prolly be waiting another year or two for it. lol

But for those who are already vested in the Philips Hue ecosystem, this is probably as good as it will get for a while. All time low according to Camelcubes.

Note: Also listed at $285 from a couple of 3rd party sellers.

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 18.18.02.png
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
35 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3710 posts
3725 upvotes
Alberta
I have this along with the hue gradient lightstrip mounted to my LG CX. It's pretty neat IMO, some content is very cool. I'm heavy into the hue ecosystem though with two hubs running basically max capacity.
Nov 8, 2007
577 posts
239 upvotes
As much as I want this the absolute max I'd be willing to pay is like half this ATL and that's if it supported HDMI 2.1.
Nov 23, 2017
210 posts
134 upvotes
Not shipped/sold by Amazon so I’ll pass.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2587 posts
1882 upvotes
Wow I got nauseous just watching the demo for this thing

I know that technically what it's doing is impressive (decoding HDMI stream, sampling pixels, controlling light), but does it actually enhance the watching experience? Maybe there's a reason TV manufacturers haven't included this kind of backlighting in their TVs? (I think samsung did in a few models but I think they stopped) I think if I had the option I would turn it on just to try it but mostly prefer to have it off

Edit: looks like Phillips had this in their TVs starting in 2002 but got discontinued around 2008:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias_lighting
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/what-h ... s.1058436/
Last edited by SomeGuyNamedBob on Jan 26th, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1216 posts
2526 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Neo_ZX wrote: As much as I want this the absolute max I'd be willing to pay is like half this ATL and that's if it supported HDMI 2.1.
I know eh!?! I want one so bad but there’s no way in hell I’d pay this much for an HDMI splitter. Ive had this sucker added to cart for over an hour, but now I’ve got a couple of errands to run. Lol.

This thing should’ve dropped significantly in price by now but the fact that it hasn’t yet shows that a reasonable number of customers are biting.

Truth be told the only time I bought a Hue product at full price was my first kit. After that it has always been on clearance from places like Home Depot/Walmart. They’re definitely outrageously priced otherwise.
Last edited by vancityguy0 on Jan 26th, 2021 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3710 posts
3725 upvotes
Alberta
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Wow I got nauseous just watching the demo for this thing

I know that technically what it's doing is impressive (decoding HDMI stream, sampling pixels, controlling light), but does it actually enhance the watching experience? Maybe there's a reason TV manufacturers haven't included this kind of backlighting in their TVs? (I think samsung did in a few models but I think they stopped) I think if I had the option I would turn it on just to try it but mostly prefer to have it off
Some content is definitely better than most. Tetris connected on Xbox series X is pretty cool along with some other games that I've tested (I've only been using it for a week). Movie scenes with lots of fire and explosions look really cool too, also underwater scenes where depth and shade of blue/green vary.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
2830 posts
1151 upvotes
Markham
It's a party gimmick that you will use exactly ONCE
Not buying something on sale ISN'T a crime, buying something not on sale IS.
Nov 24, 2019
44 posts
45 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Wow I got nauseous just watching the demo for this thing

I think it is Philips who has/had it patented and we have one of those tv's in my parents house in the Netherlands. It is actually quite nice and enhances the experience imo. Idk, best way to describe it would be when you are watching a sport like football (soccer) and it feels more like you are in the stadium with the colors on the wall.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2587 posts
1882 upvotes
one of the reviews:

A really expensive, short lived, eventually annoying toy to impress guests
Reviewed in Canada on July 8, 2020
Verified Purchase
When i first saw this demo’ed i was blown away and thought it was so cool. When i could buy it, i jumped right on it.
But then.... You find out only certain Hue Color lights can work with it — not all of them. You find out it still to this day — even with the so-called updates — has trouble with the black 16:9 bars at the top and bottom of movies unless they’re formatted a very specific way — this makes the “top” and “Bottom” lights unreliable and usually off. Then you find out that when the Hue Sync Box is active, your other “room lights” in that Specific room group dont react to the Hue being On and Syncing.,. So for example, if you are syncing 5 of your 10 lights in that room group, only 5 will do what you want them to; like turn on and display the color and brightness you want. So every time i pause a movie, half my room is dark because those Synv’d lights wont do what the rest of the group is being told to do. Open the app (Yes yet another separate app for this ughh) and turn off. Then lights work as they should.

But after all that.. and after you have it all looking cool and awesome.. a few weeks later you regret this insanely expensive purchase. The Sync box doesn’t have the ability to adapt to faster or slower moving scene in a movie. You can only set one setting in the app and it stays on that. So a movie with some intense action scenes you’d want the light setting to update quickly, and slowly dialing scenes you’d want them to blend more slowly.. nope. It’s one or the other; which got too annoying to eventually use for daily use. Now, if it adapted to the speed and color changes on the screen, then that would be awesome.

I rarely turn this on anymore. Ill keep it, but I’m not adding to it.
Nov 8, 2007
577 posts
239 upvotes
AlexJosh wrote: It's a party gimmick that you will use exactly ONCE
Yup, but it will be so cool that one time.
Mar 15, 2005
688 posts
540 upvotes
For those of you who aren't afraid to get your hands dirty and have a spare raspberry Pi, give Hyperion open source bias lighting controller a shot.

It's a fraction of the cost of this. Another huge advantage it has over the Phillips solution is that it supports individual addressable led strips instead of just solid colors of the hue.

Here is a video tutorial on how to setup.
Jun 9, 2019
379 posts
461 upvotes
discoblues wrote: For those of you who aren't afraid to get your hands dirty and have a spare raspberry Pi, give Hyperion open source bias lighting controller a shot.

It's a fraction of the cost of this. Another huge advantage it has over the Phillips solution is that it supports individual addressable led strips instead of just solid colors of the hue.

Here is a video tutorial on how to setup.
Is this able to match the speed (or lack thereof) of any action on the screen? How does it do with black bars below/above the film?
Aug 22, 2007
132 posts
154 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, this is just absurdly priced.

One of my buddies got a Govee(?) which is basically the same setup but instead of using an HDMI splitter, it bypasses all of that by mounting a tiny camera above your tv that monitors what colours are being displayed on it. And it costs something like half this price.

My first thought about it's camera setup was: "inelegant", but the more I thought about how much a pita HDMI versioning and copy protection and splitting was, the more elegant the analog loophole seemed.

End of the day though, this still seems like something of a gimmick. I love my hue lights, and do think that the light quality you get out of then is generally worth the cost of admission over something like tradfris, but I can't see how the tv could possibly be worth it. In all honesty if you're thinking of this, consider just giving that money to charity instead.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1216 posts
2526 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Penguin Warlord wrote: Yeah, this is just absurdly priced.

One of my buddies got a Govee(?) which is basically the same setup but instead of using an HDMI splitter, it bypasses all of that by mounting a tiny camera above your tv that monitors what colours are being displayed on it. And it costs something like half this price.

My first thought about it's camera setup was: "inelegant", but the more I thought about how much a pita HDMI versioning and copy protection and splitting was, the more elegant the analog loophole seemed.

End of the day though, this still seems like something of a gimmick. I love my hue lights, and do think that the light quality you get out of then is generally worth the cost of admission over something like tradfris, but I can't see how the tv could possibly be worth it. In all honesty if you're thinking of this, consider just giving that money to charity instead.
I did see the govee thing and I hate it! Looks like you have a speculum hanging from top of your TV. I’d rather NOT have bias lighting.

Yes the more I read the comments here the more the word gimmick echoes. I’ll pass unless I can get one for like under $100. Lol
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
2910 posts
735 upvotes
Belle River
It does seem pretty silly/gimmicky but let's be honest, so is most of this coloured light stuff we're doing, it'll probably be laughed at in 20 yrs. I admit I think it's kinda neat at times but I also believe that future generations will see most of our coloured lights obsessions the way we see tacky 70s stuff. I have been thinking of trying the Raspberry Pi thing ha :), mostly just to see it work.
Dec 29, 2020
41 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
Gimmick? Sure! But it’ll make those Apple TV screensavers that much cooler!!!
Dec 21, 2009
89 posts
10 upvotes
Alliston
I found something similar while researching a DIY solution. RGBTwist.com hasn’t arrived yet but it wasn’t too much so hoping it works
Jun 19, 2009
947 posts
162 upvotes
Toronto
Use an old laptop with the hue app on PC with your hue bulbs for this effect. I do with my desktop for games and movies. Only reason to do this is for traditional tv that's not accessible via a PC, but now a days with bell cravetv, Rogers alt tv, or virgin tv there's really no tv that's not accessible via PC. Plus with a PC, you could get this working with your other subscription services.
Participant in:
Zoomer Wireless - 2 year $36/month for 2GB LTE (Now 4GB Loyalty after 6 months)
Microsoft Price Error - ASUS TUF FX505DT-UB52
40" 4K Samsung TV Monitor User