Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Warm: Philips Hue Play HDMI Sync Box (All time low) $288.21

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2021 7:19 pm
Oct 5, 2017
469 posts
162 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote: I did see the govee thing and I hate it! Looks like you have a speculum hanging from top of your TV. I’d rather NOT have bias lighting.

Yes the more I read the comments here the more the word gimmick echoes. I’ll pass unless I can get one for like under $100. Lol
Some guy mentioned this on the other thread https://store.govee.com/products/immers ... backlights and reviews look good too. It's not available yet on Amazon.ca. Anyone tried ordering via Amazon Global shipping? https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Backlights ... B08LVPWQQP
Aug 7, 2008
447 posts
168 upvotes
AlexJosh wrote: It's a party gimmick that you will use exactly ONCE
Nope. I use it on all movies and it looks great and for other things that don't need the different lighting, I just leave whatever color I want backlighting the tv. Not worth the money in my opinion as it's quite expensive especially when adding the lights but it definitely gets a lot of use with the gradient strip and play bars I have.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1795 posts
968 upvotes
Durham
Chandlerparsons wrote: Some guy mentioned this on the other thread https://store.govee.com/products/immers ... backlights and reviews look good too. It's not available yet on Amazon.ca. Anyone tried ordering via Amazon Global shipping? https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Backlights ... B08LVPWQQP
I was going to order but will wait until Canada Post international issues clear up. Also to note, you can mount the camera at the bottom as opposed to the top to give it a cleaner look.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
2583 posts
1864 upvotes
Napophis wrote: I found something similar while researching a DIY solution. RGBTwist.com hasn’t arrived yet but it wasn’t too much so hoping it works
I think this is heading more towards something reasonable
Just a dreamcolor RGB strip that connects via bluetooth to an android app running on the TV box
This amazon.ca dreamcolor strip goes for as low as $25 and has bluetooth: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07TXK ... UTF8&psc=1

Now somebody just has to write the android app :p

Edit: Reading more about RGB Twist it looks like they are using already existing apps: https://www.rgbtwist.com/pages/source

These apps aren't tied to RGB Twist i.e. the lightpack app is compatible with these RGB strips:
Supported Devices and Protocols:
Lightpack PC/v1
Serial
Adalight
Ardulight
Arduino
ESP8266/ESP32 (WLED firmware highly recommended)
Wi-Fi UDP:
WARLS
DRGB
DNRGB
ESP8266/ESP32 (WLED firmware highly recommended)
I wonder if that $25 dreamcolor strip is supported (or can be flashed with tasmota)
Mar 4, 2008
55 posts
12 upvotes
Latency is going to be crucial here. I use the Play lights and the Hue Sync app on PC for when playing games and it's quite responsive and really does add something to the experience (in some games the color changing is a bit much, but in others it's quite nice. I can imagine it's good for most films (though I haven't really bothered to try any through the pc yet) maybe a bit less so with ones that have lots of rapid cuts).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7723 posts
1124 upvotes
Some ambient light behind the TV is crucial for both eye fatigue and enhanced viewing. So I use a $25 LED strip from Walmart, and it works fine. I wouldn't want those seizure inducing fast strobing effects anyway. I find on screen content, being movie, sports, games, etc, has a specific"tone" , a color theme if you will, so I adjust it to match that to my liking using either the app on my phone or voice controls for the LED strip.

Merkury Innovations Smart Wi-Fi LED Strip
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Mar 4, 2008
55 posts
12 upvotes
CFRTim wrote: I wouldn't want those seizure inducing fast strobing effects anyway.
FYI, you can adjust the responsiveness, at least, in the Hue Sync PC application.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
2830 posts
1151 upvotes
Markham
haushinka wrote: Nope. I use it on all movies and it looks great and for other things that don't need the different lighting, I just leave whatever color I want backlighting the tv. Not worth the money in my opinion as it's quite expensive especially when adding the lights but it definitely gets a lot of use with the gradient strip and play bars I have.
I find the light sync for movies and gaming extremely distracting and hurts my eyes for any period longer than 5 mins, and for adjusting backlight color you can do that from your phone or through voice assistant, no need to use the hub
Not buying something on sale ISN'T a crime, buying something not on sale IS.
Nov 25, 2014
92 posts
33 upvotes
calgary ab
Napophis wrote: I found something similar while researching a DIY solution. RGBTwist.com hasn’t arrived yet but it wasn’t too much so hoping it works
interesting option the 4k 65" kit is only $55 shipped(usd i presume) need to research if its as good as the demo video on it
Nov 25, 2014
383 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Reading the post made me think its a Android box from Philips trying to compete with Shield TV and APPLE TV.. ROFL at being some fancy disco lights on the back of your TV...

Will wait until Dollarama starts stocking this...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
7723 posts
1124 upvotes
kjwilson wrote: interesting option the 4k 65" kit is only $55 shipped(usd i presume) need to research if its as good as the demo video on it
Yeah, did some research on RGBTwist as well, apparently doesn't work with built in apps or DRM, so.... meh
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Mar 15, 2005
688 posts
540 upvotes
Oomani wrote: Is this able to match the speed (or lack thereof) of any action on the screen? How does it do with black bars below/above the film?
from what i hear, there is little to no lag. the pi has more than enough horsepower to drive a few hunded 'pixels' (led lights) compared to the 8 million + pixels on a 4k display.

i have hue in my HT. I was running an app on the shield that did the bias lighting - for that, the delay was enough for it to be an annoyance rather than enhance the experience.
Aug 7, 2008
447 posts
168 upvotes
AlexJosh wrote: I find the light sync for movies and gaming extremely distracting and hurts my eyes for any period longer than 5 mins, and for adjusting backlight color you can do that from your phone or through voice assistant, no need to use the hub
Depends on the movie for me but some movies look incredible with it. Some tv shows aren't as good though.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1926 posts
1948 upvotes
Montreal
Cool item but not cool price
Pass
❗ We buy things that we don't need, with money that we don't have, to impress people that we don't like. ❗
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
3709 posts
3723 upvotes
Alberta
I leave it turned off most of the time, but it compliments certain content well. It's easily toggled using Google home voice control and my harmony remote.
Images
  • upload.jpg