[Amazon.ca] Warm? ROG Zephyrus G - AMD 3750H, 1660Ti, 512 nvme $1099

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2020 10:22 pm
[OP]
Dec 12, 2010
711 posts
326 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Warm? ROG Zephyrus G - AMD 3750H, 1660Ti, 512 nvme $1099

I know this isn't hot but there isn't much deals on laptop these days and with the China supply chain situation there are reports prices is slated to increase soon (source: linus tech tips).

I came across this laptop which is fairly thin and light for a decent gaming laptop that should be able to run COD:Warzone.
If you want to save $80 + tax you can click on new and used and get it from Amazon Warehouse which is basically someone else's return.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB (base: 1140MHz, Boost: 1335MHz, tpd: 80W)
Amd Ryzen 7 3750H Processor
15.6” 120Hz IPS-Type full HD (1920x1080) Display
8GB DDR4 RAM | 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD | Backlit precision gaming Keyboard | Windows 10 Home
0.8” thin, 4.85 lbs ultraportable form-factor
30 replies
Apr 2, 2013
445 posts
381 upvotes
St. Catharines
While a good laptop, there is an error on this one that people have pointed out and they still haven't changed it after MONTHS. It is only a 60 Hz display and not a 120 Hz
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13879 posts
3146 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I would expect this laptop to actually decrease in price with the release of AMD Zen 2 mobile APUs. It's so good unless you really need a laptop now, you're better off waiting a month or two.

Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2005
2162 posts
1070 upvotes
Id wait for it to drop a little more in price before biting...

That being said, the performance out of the mobile Ryzen 4000 series is a game changer... Faster, cheaper and twice as efficient as intels 10th gen solution. If I were buying a lappy this year it would for sure be Ryzen 4000 based. The ROG Zephyrus G14 currently winning all the praise from reviewers.
Dec 26, 2012
665 posts
460 upvotes
Quebec
The CPU is average, benchmarks place it around an old i7-6700HQ (well below a modern i5-9300H) but the price is pretty good for a GTX1660ti (similar to a GTX-1070 Max-Q). Deals around this price usually only have a GTX1650.
Last edited by kowell on Apr 3rd, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Feb 26, 2017
542 posts
382 upvotes
How’s the build quality on this? I’ve never heard of ROG but I also don’t buy gaming laptops generally
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2011
1095 posts
812 upvotes
TORONTO
Atillathepun wrote: How’s the build quality on this? I’ve never heard of ROG but I also don’t buy gaming laptops generally
ROG is Asus's gaming laptop line. Zephyrus is usually the thin/light premium quality sub line up. However, the consumer reviews for Asus Zephyrus quality have been very mixed. Spec wise, GPU is Nvidia 1660TI, which is quite decent. I have no experience on the AMD 3000 series laptop CPU, I have the impression it's not bad but still not as good as the Intel's. But the upcoming 4000 series are mind blowing according to the reviews. I'd wait for that unless I need one right now.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26237 posts
6503 upvotes
Atillathepun wrote: How’s the build quality on this? I’ve never heard of ROG but I also don’t buy gaming laptops generally
ROG is good stuff but I don't trust Asus and will not buy from them based on the stories you see posted all over intarwebs about their warranty scams. Basically you start up an RMA and then send them your component (GPU, mobo, etc.) and then they proceed to bust it up, literally/physically, and then tell you that you sent it to them like that! Then they proceed to not warranty it; and, just send it back to you, busted up. This is not an isolated event and there's various stories around about this exact same practice, including one such thread on RFD.

Nope Asus, I'm never buying any of your garbage and ending up a victim of your scams.

In other words yeah the ROG stuff might be top notch but good luck to you if you ever have a problem or need warranty service.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2954 posts
604 upvotes
Toronto
I like it. Still $300 over the nitro box but 1660ti and 512 ssd. 60hz hurts tho. Don't think I can go back now.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
4973 posts
1404 upvotes
60 hz panel....

What the hell.

I have a zephyrus M and its solid. And 144 hz.

And yes asus customer service is horrible.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2004
1049 posts
32 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: ROG is good stuff but I don't trust Asus and will not buy from them based on the stories you see posted all over intarwebs about their warranty scams. Basically you start up an RMA and then send them your component (GPU, mobo, etc.) and then they proceed to bust it up, literally/physically, and then tell you that you sent it to them like that! Then they proceed to not warranty it; and, just send it back to you, busted up. This is not an isolated event and there's various stories around about this exact same practice, including one such thread on RFD.

Nope Asus, I'm never buying any of your garbage and ending up a victim of your scams.

In other words yeah the ROG stuff might be top notch but good luck to you if you ever have a problem or need warranty service.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've had great experiences with Asus warranty support. I've had to RMA two motherboards and the experience was smooth.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
26237 posts
6503 upvotes
fuhreal wrote: On the opposite end of the spectrum, I've had great experiences with Asus warranty support. I've had to RMA two motherboards and the experience was smooth.
Yeah there's probably thousands of "good stories" but it seems like whenever they feel like it, perhaps if it's a rare or expensive part they don't want to replace, they just do the ol' bust-it-up scam and pretend like you sent it to them like that :rolleyes: There's enough of those scams that will probably never buy Asus first-hand/brand-new ever again. I'm not as opposed to buying out-of-warranty old/used Asus-branded stuff but nothing newer.

There were some decent Asus GPU deals I saw while I was looking for a new one but nope once I saw Asus I just moved along--they can blow me! I mean there are bad warranty stories for everyone, but repetitive accounts of the same malicious damage and scamming? Nah I'm not going there, not purchasing from anyone like that. If there were a forum seller in the BST, or someone on eBay, or even a retailer selling with the same kind of reputation? Nobody would buy from them and they'd be labelled a scammer. Asus deserves the exact same thing--once a scammer, always a scammer. They sell some very expensive stuff in their ROG line in particular, and that's how they treat people, with scammin'? LOL no thanks they can keep it.
Feb 26, 2017
542 posts
382 upvotes
So I think the deal breaker for me is the screen. Asus lists : “60Hz//200nits”.

I just returned a laptop with 250nits and it was too dim unfortunately. Good deal for someone though