Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

[Warm] Sun Joe AJ801E 12 Amp 13" Electric Scarifier Plus Lawn Dethatcher with Collection Bag - $155.02

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2021 10:52 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
May 31, 2011
149 posts
160 upvotes
Ontario

[Amazon.ca] [Warm] Sun Joe AJ801E 12 Amp 13" Electric Scarifier Plus Lawn Dethatcher with Collection Bag - $155.02

Been monitoring for this Sun Joe for a while. Not the all time cheapest according to CCC but decent price in my opinion.
Last edited by aftershocks on Aug 10th, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
70 replies
Oct 30, 2019
279 posts
674 upvotes
I saw this yesterday and ordered!

All YouTube reviews are favorable.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2012
2763 posts
770 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone able to speak to the benefit of dethatching/aerating your lawn?

Wondering if it's marketing or actually helpful to growth
Aug 15, 2012
139 posts
77 upvotes
Winnipeg
What's a lawn? The brown patch in front of all our houses in the prairies?
Oct 10, 2018
42 posts
23 upvotes
I've been waiting for this to go on sale. Picked one up. Thanks OP.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2011
1293 posts
719 upvotes
Ajax
ashihtaka wrote: Anyone able to speak to the benefit of dethatching/aerating your lawn?

Not all lawns need to be dethatched. It depends on the amount of thatch that you have and the depth. If you dethatch a healthy lawn that doesn’t require dethatching you will ruin the surface roots and damage your grass…Core Aeration should always be done in early spring and late fall with seeding and appropriate level of fertilization depending on the season that you are entering. Trust me I have dethatched healthy lawn previously as I bought into the hype. Ruined my lawn. Had to resod and now my lawn is healthy. Use of appropriate fertilizer with the right amount of nitrogen and phosphorus for your lawn is key with a good grass seed (not Scott’s lol).
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
15544 posts
3433 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
I have the pro version of this, good little machine. Does the job as I don't have a large lawn
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2003
3032 posts
542 upvotes
Alberta
I got this, I wouldn't use the dethatch tool. It was very aggressive even on the mildest setting.

The power rake is much better, but the bag is absolutely useless. It did not bag a thing, just dragged it into a pile for me. So it's still better/more effective than raking, but bagging was definitely a desired feature...
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4708 posts
1647 upvotes
Vancouver
ashihtaka wrote: Anyone able to speak to the benefit of dethatching/aerating your lawn?

I bought one in the fall of 2019. Did a test run on a patch of front lawn and put it away until the spring of 2020.

Up to this point I had a front lawn that always stayed lush in the shade on the south side but the centre and north side would burn in the summer during watering restrictions. About 5 years earlier we'd had a summer that was sunny, hot, and without rain for 30+ days and my lawn was pretty much destroyed and never came back but then I did very little to help it. This SunJoe was a last hope to make something of it. COVID was good timing as what else was I going to do in April and May of 2020.

Did it ever make something of it !!!!!!

I pulled something like 18 bags of thatch out of the front and back lawns using the scarifier only. That alone took about 5-6 hours of work. The entire process involved putting down lime in early spring, applying moss killer, aerating, scarifying, over-seeding with a new blend of seed, fertilizer to promote root growth more than greening up. My 2020 spring/summer lawn was the best lawn I've had since moving into the house 15 years earlier, even during the years the Weedman was looking after it.

Best of all, between the denser root growth the scarifier encourages and the grub killer I put down, I had no issues with critters turning over my lawn through the fall and spring like many of my neighbors had this past year. We have a serious problem here with the European Chafer beetle. Overnight your lawn looks like it has been roto-tilled.

Followed a similar routine this year and it was looking really good until the heat wave in the first week of July. I missed one watering morning in that week and some of the lawn got burnt and is recovering. Most of it looks like crap but almost all the lawns here look burnt yellow except for the neighbors who are cheating and running their in-ground sprinkler systems more than the two mornings a weeks we are allowed.

FWIW - I burnt out the motor this spring so I'm looking to buy another or find a commercial unit to rent for a day. Home Depot has dethatcher's but not scarifiers.
Sep 27, 2007
132 posts
110 upvotes
I got this in the Spring. Once it dried out, I gave my small suburban lawn the once over and was amazed how much thatch it pulled up. The lawn didn't look all that much different but I filled a whole yard bag with the crap that was getting in the way. Very impressed! I also got it because the Sunjoe rototiller I got last summer was the absolute beast everyone said it was - both seem a bit cheaply made but they really get the job done.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1527 posts
378 upvotes
I have this one. Can't believe how much thatch it's removing even if I use the lawnmower bag everytime.
On a side note, forget about the included collection bag or you'll need to empty it every two minutes
Apr 21, 2008
234 posts
198 upvotes
Been searching for a sub $200 dethatcher

Tried to dethatch earlier in the year with a metal rake and nearly fainted LOL - so much work.

Thanks OP!
Jan 27, 2007
297 posts
43 upvotes
no mans land
I can’t comment on the price but this machine is great. Just make sure you have the proper gauge for the extension cord.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3804 posts
2841 upvotes
Ajax
Have this as well, was the first time dethstching after 4 years. Last year I had an infestation of chinch bugs they destroyed my lawn. They enjoy packed soil that prevents water from draining deep into the roots.

Anyway after dethatching it helped solve the issue. I messed up some parts of the lawn by dethatching to high of a setting but it grew back after seeding.

Also helps to get your lawn aerated as well.
Dec 8, 2018
71 posts
53 upvotes
I have this one, very good buy ! If your machine breaks like mine did, customer support is great and quick to act. The drive belt broke a month after getting it and they shipped me a new machine and sent me a label for free return of old machine by UPS.

I said great customer service, but I didn't say great thinking on Sunjoe's part. I dissambled the machine to find out why the motor was working, but the head not working : broken drive belt. When the rep told me they were going to send me a NEW machine, I asked to just send the part, less expensive for them. “No sir, that part is not a serviceable part by the owner. And if you did replace it and something went wrong, your warranty would be void. “

Well ok then, pay shipping from the USA to Canada for a new machine and shipping from Canada to the USA for the old one, plus the cost of new machine instead of the 5$ + 3$ shipping for drive belt…Face With Rolling Eyes

Anyway, since the drive belt is the most common break on this machine, I ordered a pack of 5 belts from Aliexpress for like 10$ lol !

I also boight their 13,5 amp 16” rototiller at Home depot and it works great, very powerful !
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1129 posts
143 upvotes
NewsyL wrote: I missed one watering morning in that week and some of the lawn got burnt and is recovering. Most of it looks like crap but almost all the lawns here look burnt yellow except for the neighbors who are cheating and running their in-ground sprinkler systems more than the two mornings a weeks we are allowed.
If you think about it, keeping lawns green is such a waste of water and environmentally unfriendly practice. I see people mowing their grass too short, creating a vicious cycle of having to water that much more to keep the short grass from drying out. It doesn't help that paid lawn cutters come on a regular basis to go through the motions and cut grass that doesn't need cutting thereby stressing lawns even more.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20312 posts
4831 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
I got this last year for a $147 Black Friday deal at Home Depot.
Be aware the provided cord is only around 5ft long. You must provide your own extension cords. And if you want to use 100' in length, you need fatter 12/3 cords. As a nerd, I splurged on 2x50 ft SouthWire 12/3 extension cords on Amazon for a near-ATL for $46 each.

The actual scarifying and dethatching power is quite strong. Get more yard bags than you think you need!
Also, at least in Ontario, it is not so advisable to scarify or dethatch in the Spring. Do it in the Fall when there's much less weed seeds folating around.
- casual gastronomist -
Dec 15, 2017
699 posts
1031 upvotes
Vancouver
Good price to me. I bought this back in April 25, 2021 for $198 when I thought was cheap.