Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

WARM - TP-Link WiFi 6 Mesh WiFi AX1800 Whole Home Mesh Wifi System (Deco X20 3pk) $244.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2021 11:40 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1739 posts
772 upvotes
Markham

[Amazon.ca] WARM - TP-Link WiFi 6 Mesh WiFi AX1800 Whole Home Mesh Wifi System (Deco X20 3pk) $244.99

Warm deal? I missed the $199.99 deal for the 3 pack and it went back up to $319.99 I believe. I ended up buying it from Canada Computers for $279.99 a few weeks ago when Amazon ran out of stock. This wifi mesh system works great for my home.

Edit: my setup on and speed tests on S21 ultra

Second Floor - 3rd Deco ~150Mbps
^
First Floor - 2nd Deco ~200Mbps - 350Mbps
^
Basement - Main Deco ~850Mbps

I get coverage everywhere in the ~2400sqft house now. Definitely worth the investment.
Last edited by myinglin0318 on Oct 12th, 2021 11:45 am, edited 5 times in total.
10700K + Asus TUF 3080.
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7836 posts
8671 upvotes
Toronto
TP-Link sponsored review video with Linus

This Makes Your WIFI Better? - TP-Link Deco X20
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1760 posts
1182 upvotes
interesting, so you do get wifi signal everywhere but speed dips significantly
Nov 27, 2009
182 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto
Dhanushan wrote: TP-Link sponsored review video with Linus

So, the reviewer is in BC but the discount link he posted doesn’t work on Amazon Canada?
Nov 10, 2011
1 posts
Toronto
Who is your ISP? Do you know if Deco will works with Bell FTTH Homehub 3000?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1739 posts
772 upvotes
Markham
JIB9022 wrote: interesting, so you do get wifi signal everywhere but speed dips significantly
I think it has to do with my main deco being in the basement. Overall there has been no hiccups with streaming YouTube and Netflix.
10700K + Asus TUF 3080.
Aug 30, 2015
674 posts
981 upvotes
BC
Dhanushan wrote: TP-Link sponsored review video with Linus

At the 7:00 mark he said “.. both decos must be in range of the main unit”. Is he right? I thought mesh networks could hop a few times (understanding that it would come a at a performance cost).
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2377 posts
1980 upvotes
Ottawa
myinglin0318 wrote:

^
^

I get coverage everywhere in the ~2400sqft house now. Definitely worth the investment.
Are you on a wireless or a wired backbone? I have the Deco M5 and on a wired backbone on one and a wireless on another. The wired one has next to no speed degradation.
Nov 19, 2007
267 posts
98 upvotes
Calgary
myinglin0318 wrote: Warm deal? I missed the $199.99 deal for the 3 pack and it went back up to $319.99 I believe. I ended up buying it from Canada Computers for $279.99 a few weeks ago when Amazon ran out of stock. This wifi mesh system works great for my home.

^
^

I would recommend upgrade to X60 instead of this. Both X20 and X60 are dual bands. They are best with the wired backhaul.
Jul 27, 2017
22 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
I have been looking into getting a mesh wifi system (living in a 3 level home with gigabit connection from Telus) but I cannot figure out what product works best for me. So many variables involved - Wifi 5/6, AC 1200/1800/2200/etc, router + 2 points/3 routers, wired/wireless backhaul... And then deciding between eero/Google/TP-Link/Netgear... My brain doesn't seem to have the capacity to process and analyze all this information.

Any suggestions/pointers to a good article which explains everything so that I can understand stuff and make a decision? This is what I understand for now:
  • AC parameter - determines what is the max speed that the router can support. Since I have a gigabit internet, I should choose something that supports that
  • Wifi version - 6 seems overkill for me since there are not many devices that support 6. So should be good to stick with 5 (cheaper).
  • Router and Points - Router has faster speeds whereas points provide slower speeds. So if I want a faster speeds I should go for more routers. And that costs more.
  • Backhaul - if I connect all my routers and points to ethernet ports, then I have "wired" backhaul which will provide faster speeds. I don't think I can do that at my home. So I will have to go for the wireless backhaul. Will connect the router to the Telus provided modem/router combo.
Am I understanding things correctly? Any corrections/suggestions would be appreciated.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10496 posts
7042 upvotes
To those looking at this...If you have a few fully functional wifi routers lying around: You may want to look into OpenWRT (if your units are supported), and look into 802.11r / fast roaming.

As always, off-the-shelf solutions give you convenience for sure, for a price.
Jan 2, 2015
520 posts
482 upvotes
Montréal area
WasabiTDi wrote: I would recommend upgrade to X60 instead of this. Both X20 and X60 are dual bands. They are best with the wired backhaul.
X60 is 150$ higher. If using wired backhaul, is the X20 enough in your opinion? Is there a lot of devices that can realistically use up to 2400Mbps on 5Ghz?

----

The only thing I don't like with this is that I need to add a switch to use wiredbackhaul (1 WAN + 2 nodes). 2 port in not enough!
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2012
1468 posts
1023 upvotes
Vancouver, BC Canada
Be prepared for DHCP issues if running in access point mode.
Jul 29, 2013
78 posts
74 upvotes
Calgary
How so?

I have an ax88u running as my main and the x20 3pk in access point mode. 56 devices in the home - all in. No dhcp issues.

The x20 is a great value proposition. Wireless backhaul is not the greatest on the x20 as its only dual band.

I have wired backhaul everywhere so not an issue for me, nice thing is if the wired backhaul fails for some reason it will seamlessly fail over to wireless without any intervention.
Apr 28, 2017
219 posts
321 upvotes
Just bought and received the 2 pack. Paid $199. We have a 3 level townhouse about 1700 sqf. Should I get the 3 pack with one Deco per floor? Or the 2 pack is enough? Thank you
Feb 2, 2016
341 posts
211 upvotes
i got the 2 bundles of mk63 for $240.

now this one looks like a little bit expensive
Deal Fanatic
Jun 20, 2020
7836 posts
8671 upvotes
Toronto
setlist wrote: At the 7:00 mark he said “.. both decos must be in range of the main unit”. Is he right? I thought mesh networks could hop a few times (understanding that it would come a at a performance cost).
In a pure Wi-Fi Backhaul network, best speed is achieved when both nodes are connected to the main hub.

Each hop reduces speed.

TP-link recommends no more than three hops in the networks.

How many Deco units can I add to my Deco mesh network?
https://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/faq/1588/
Nov 13, 2020
19 posts
16 upvotes
fierydragon87 wrote: I have been looking into getting a mesh wifi system (living in a 3 level home with gigabit connection from Telus) but I cannot figure out what product works best for me. So many variables involved - Wifi 5/6, AC 1200/1800/2200/etc, router + 2 points/3 routers, wired/wireless backhaul... And then deciding between eero/Google/TP-Link/Netgear... My brain doesn't seem to have the capacity to process and analyze all this information.

Any suggestions/pointers to a good article which explains everything so that I can understand stuff and make a decision? This is what I understand for now:
  • AC parameter - determines what is the max speed that the router can support. Since I have a gigabit internet, I should choose something that supports that
  • Wifi version - 6 seems overkill for me since there are not many devices that support 6. So should be good to stick with 5 (cheaper).
  • Router and Points - Router has faster speeds whereas points provide slower speeds. So if I want a faster speeds I should go for more routers. And that costs more.
  • Backhaul - if I connect all my routers and points to ethernet ports, then I have "wired" backhaul which will provide faster speeds. I don't think I can do that at my home. So I will have to go for the wireless backhaul. Will connect the router to the Telus provided modem/router combo.
Am I understanding things correctly? Any corrections/suggestions would be appreciated.
If you don't want to run or have ethernet cables throughout your home then you should consider the tri band meshes.

But for the X20, it is really awesome with wired backhaul. I have under 5ms pings, stable connections, and almost 0% packetloss. I originally bought the Asus XT8 and CT8 but ended up returning those because they had connection drops with high ping times and packetloss. I would suggest you really should just try it out since the Amazon return policy is generous. Every home is different and you won't know if it really works out until you have tried it.

I love this Deco X20. My wifi feels like wired connections and I have almost 40 devices like cams streaming continuously to NAS.

Good luck.
Jul 27, 2017
22 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
DMarkham wrote: If you don't want to run or have ethernet cables throughout your home then you should consider the tri band meshes.

But for the X20, it is really awesome with wired backhaul. I have under 5ms pings, stable connections, and almost 0% packetloss. I originally bought the Asus XT8 and CT8 but ended up returning those because they had connection drops with high ping times and packetloss. I would suggest you really should just try it out since the Amazon return policy is generous. Every home is different and you won't know if it really works out until you have tried it.

I love this Deco X20. My wifi feels like wired connections and I have almost 40 devices like cams streaming continuously to NAS.

Good luck.
Thank you for your helpful response. Will look at purchasing a model to try it out. Apart from Amazon, Costco could also be a good option because of their return policy.