• Last Updated:
  • May 23rd, 2019 5:22 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2003
1362 posts
183 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Washing Machine Drain Pan 30" X 28" $28

Amazon.ca has a Washing Machine Drain Pan 30" X 28" $28, great to stick under a washing machine / hot water heater with a water sensor.
https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-20762-Washi ... way&sr=8-6
18 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13729 posts
3151 upvotes
London
While the amazon web site says this is for apt size/ compact washers, it does fit some larger machines. Amazon does have larger drain pans

Note that circular drain pans exist for hot water tanks
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1986 posts
311 upvotes
Gta
Looks like it’s meant for stackable units like you’d have in a condo. So for that use...I can see it as being useful. You have a leak it can cause damage to the unit below and you are on the hook for damage repair.
Then again.,,this won’t hold much water should your machine overflow!
Koodo member
Oct 4, 2017
144 posts
48 upvotes
queenofhearts wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 10:25 am
Looks like it’s meant for stackable units like you’d have in a condo. So for that use...I can see it as being useful. You have a leak it can cause damage to the unit below and you are on the hook for damage repair.
The washer is considerably heavier thus it needs to be on the bottom of the stack.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1005 posts
721 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
CorporalJenky wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 10:32 am
The washer is considerably heavier thus it needs to be on the bottom of the stack.
I believe by "the unit below", they meant the downstairs neighbour's apartment.
Jul 29, 2013
723 posts
358 upvotes
CorporalJenky wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 10:32 am
I think he/she means by "unit", is the condo apartment below you would be responsible for the damage.
Not putting the washer unit on top of the stack.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4192 posts
621 upvotes
Edmonton
At our condo unit these are actually mandatory along with tubs for hot water tank. The idea is not to contain the whole thing just buy some time in most cases.

Last year I learned that washers have traps in them that need to be cleaned out semi regular. Opened the thing up and found all sorts of stuff. Washer was taking forever to finish the cycle and turns out it was not draining well so kept trying to spin the clothes.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13729 posts
3151 upvotes
London
queenofhearts wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 10:25 am
It’s also used for second floor laundry rooms in a house.

Some builders do put in a curb, waterproof membrane and/or floor drain for second floor washing machines but I don’t think it’s currently required in the building code.

It can also be used for main floor washing machines where you have a finished basement
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4850 posts
282 upvotes
xpressmerchant wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 10:20 am
seriously do you even need this?
I'm thinking the same. With the way to diagram is it looks like the pan drains into the floor drain nearby? If the drain is that close by and the floor is properly slopped it's going to drain into the drain anyway, making his product pointless
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1543 posts
446 upvotes
Oni-kun wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 11:45 am
I'm thinking the same. With the way to diagram is it looks like the pan drains into the floor drain nearby? If the drain is that close by and the floor is properly slopped it's going to drain into the drain anyway, making his product pointless
On my Samsung front load machine, I have to open a cap for it to drain into a pan. My point is any cheap plastic pan will work. Don't have to spend this kind of money to be proper.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1445 posts
116 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 11:42 am
It’s also used for second floor laundry rooms in a house.

Some builders do put in a curb, waterproof membrane and/or floor drain for second floor washing machines but I don’t think it’s currently required in the building code.

It can also be used for main floor washing machines where you have a finished basement
Have a second floor washer-drier, but no drain. Does insurance typically cover damage caused by washer/drier or burst water hoses, etc.

If one was to rent the place, guess it be a good idea to move the washer/drier to the basement? Or install a drain after the fact, which sounds like to would cost a fortune.

Or do you simply tie in this drain into existing wall drain?
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
13729 posts
3151 upvotes
London
reggyDeal wrote:
May 23rd, 2019 12:49 pm
Have a second floor washer-drier, but no drain. Does insurance typically cover damage caused by washer/drier or burst water hoses, etc.

If one was to rent the place, guess it be a good idea to move the washer/drier to the basement? Or install a drain after the fact, which sounds like to would cost a fortune.

Or do you simply tie in this drain into existing wall drain?
I think you would need to look at your insurance policy. My experience with this is that insurance will cover a sudden incident = “rupture” but will not cover a “leak” that has occurred over a period of time. The adjuster determines whether it’s a leak or rupture.

I believe they restore the house structure itself (less deductible), but do not cover the “contents” fully (ie TV got soaked) . Those depend on the contents coverage you paid for (full replacement vs depreciation)

The places I rented alway had the washer / dryer included so leaks/ rupture wasn’t my problem
Feb 15, 2017
160 posts
43 upvotes
With high efficiency washing machines using HE detergent, occasional small leaks may be caused by oversudsing (putting too much detergent), not a problem with the hardware itself.
Jan 26, 2010
305 posts
81 upvotes
Thanks OP. Managed to get one branded as a return for 15 dollars. I have a slow leaking portable ac unit (crack in the plastic pan/resevoir) and this fits that bill perfectly.