• Jan 23rd, 2022 12:14 am
36 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
2654 posts
3287 upvotes
Toronto
excellent price but listing details and other reviews says 32 oz, not 48
Last edited by toronto_slim on Jan 11th, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 8, 2012
309 posts
429 upvotes
Ottawa
This type is pretty much only good for water.
Feb 7, 2009
785 posts
276 upvotes
Toronto
Have the same one, and it's been maybe 8-10 years. Still works like a charm.

Def doesn't fit in normal cup holders. Maybe American ones
May 10, 2007
984 posts
94 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What is the difference in materials?
Made from Nalgene's durable Tritan material
vs
High Density Polyethylene

This one has the High Density
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2006
2654 posts
3287 upvotes
Toronto
Rome wrote: What is the difference in materials?
vs

HDPE is lighter. Not sure what else.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1383 posts
2849 upvotes
Too bad only green...planning to use it for backpack camping but would prefer a clear bottle to be able to see debris better
Jun 18, 2016
845 posts
2527 upvotes
AS2012 wrote: This type is pretty much only good for water.
No, HDPE is capable of holding many liquids including alcohol (I use one for vodka for camping/cottaging) and even gasoline/white gas fuel.
Rome wrote: What is the difference in materials?
vs

You are asking about two types of plastic. HDPE is a name of a type of plastic, high density polyethylene. "Tritan" is the trade name of another copolyester that is currently a trade secret, so the exact polycarbonate composition is not known. The "everyday" line of bottles is made with Tritan.

HDPE: More flexible, much more shatter-resistant. Less resistant to stains from colors and also more likely to retain odors. Only comes in a few colors. Slightly lighter and slightly less expensive than the Tritan bottles. In general, slightly less tolerant of high temperatures (above boiling), but usually holds shape.

Tritan: more rigid, less shatterproof. Darn near impossible to stain & will not hold much odor. Comes in a much, much wider choice of colors and designs. Wider temperature range.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1383 posts
2849 upvotes
MooseV2 wrote: No, HDPE is capable of holding many liquids including alcohol (I use one for vodka for camping/cottaging) and even gasoline/white gas fuel.

You are asking about two types of plastic. HDPE is a name of a type of plastic, high density polyethylene. "Tritan" is the trade name of another copolyester that is currently a trade secret, so the exact polycarbonate composition is not known. The "everyday" line of bottles is made with Tritan.

HDPE: More flexible, much more shatter-resistant. Less resistant to stains from colors and also more likely to retain odors. Only comes in a few colors. Slightly lighter and slightly less expensive than the Tritan bottles. In general, slightly less tolerant of high temperatures (above boiling), but usually holds shape.

Tritan: more rigid, less shatterproof. Darn near impossible to stain & will not hold much odor. Comes in a much, much wider choice of colors and designs. Wider temperature range.
Dang copied straight from reddit post lol
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
7159 posts
3617 upvotes
West GTEH!
haroldliang wrote: Nalgene bottle, really good price imo.
Great water bottles.
I have a bunch of these. Use mainly for Sports/Training/Gym.

Time Machine warning: Bought them for $2 each Years ago when National Gym was clearing them out.
😎
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
2297 posts
1162 upvotes
I can taste the HDPE just from looking at the picture, brings back childhood memories.
Jan 15, 2016
730 posts
746 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
AS2012 wrote: This type is pretty much only good for water.
Good to put in valuables to keep them from getting wet. Cards, money keys etc.
Jan 15, 2016
730 posts
746 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Webhead wrote: Great water bottles.
I have a bunch of these. Use mainly for Sports/Training/Gym.

Time Machine warning: Bought them for $2 each Years ago when National Gym was clearing them out.
Got the marvel ones from sportchek for under 5 ea for the big ones and kid sizes.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2019
1118 posts
2705 upvotes
North York ON
Even the Tritan ones are pretty durable. I used to drop them from 1m onto pavement to show off the bottle. Was like 10 years old back then. I definitely recommend the Tritan 1L at $16 or less.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)