Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Water Filter - PUR PFM400H Chrome Horizontal Faucet Mount with 1 Mineral Clear Filter $44.68 ($31.19 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2018 1:52 pm
[OP]
Jun 28, 2014
75 posts
108 upvotes
Ajax, ON

[Amazon Canada] Water Filter - PUR PFM400H Chrome Horizontal Faucet Mount with 1 Mineral Clear Filter $44.68 ($31.19 off)

Been on the look for a water filter & this seems to fit my needs. I like the way you can direct the flow. $44.68 seems a good price & has some good reviews so I ordered one.
9 replies
Jul 28, 2014
31 posts
19 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Just some notes on these types of filters:
  • Will not remove/do a good job at removing Chloramines which is used on most municipalities now. For chloramines you need catalytic carbon and proper contact time.
  • Will only remove a certain amount of the chlorine. 4.5" by 20" carbon block filters are rated at flow rates of 10-15gpm depending on manufacturer, so I would imagine a filter this small would be significantly less.
  • Filter could reduce/ restrict water flow in order to get better chlorine removal
  • The ion exchange media Could be cation resin for hardness and scale filtration. Could also be Anion media for tannins and nitrates.
  • DO NOT USE ON WELL WATER! will clog up with iron, hardness and sediment.
  • Potential for Bacteria Growth: Removing chlorine means that there is no longer a disinfectant in the water. So for example, if you were thawing out raw meat in the sink and splashed some water onto the aerator, you could contaminate the faucet/aerator. Normally, you would just get background coliforms (generally harmless) but there is the potential for e.coli and bacteria loves expired carbon media!
    Deal Addict
    Sep 4, 2007
    1799 posts
    533 upvotes
    The filters are pretty expensive and harder to find than like Brita. You're looking at ~$50 for a 3-pack opposed to ~$20 with Brita. Both filters lasting 3 months.
    Deal Addict
    Aug 27, 2003
    1235 posts
    110 upvotes
    whoa-albert wrote:
    Jan 12th, 2018 6:31 pm
    The filters are pretty expensive and harder to find than like Brita. You're looking at ~$50 for a 3-pack opposed to ~$20 with Brita. Both filters lasting 3 months.
    ~$50 for a 3 pack PUR faucet filter is cheaper than $19 for a single Brita faucet filter. Brita has slowly upped their prices over the last 5 years.
    [OP]
    Jun 28, 2014
    75 posts
    108 upvotes
    Ajax, ON
    Can anybody recommend one? I am clueless on them to be honest and just went by reviews so will be cancelling if somebody can recommend a better alternative
    Jul 21, 2006
    957 posts
    160 upvotes
    reverse osmosis way better investment
    [OP]
    Jun 28, 2014
    75 posts
    108 upvotes
    Ajax, ON
    stratux wrote:
    Jan 12th, 2018 7:49 pm
    reverse osmosis way better investment
    I am wanting one which attaches to the faucet
    Jul 31, 2017
    687 posts
    125 upvotes
    whoa-albert wrote:
    Jan 12th, 2018 6:31 pm
    It says on a Brita box that it's not a water filter.
    Deal Addict
    Nov 9, 2005
    3886 posts
    1128 upvotes
    High River, AB
    Black and white are even cheaper!