Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] WD 4TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 - $112.79 deal of the day

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2020 11:20 am
[OP]
Nov 17, 2010
102 posts
74 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] WD 4TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 - $112.79 deal of the day

WD 4TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive - USB 3.0. Seems like a decent price for 4 Tb but let's see what RFD thinks.

Deal expires midnight tonight EST.
4.7 out of 5 stars from 58,000 reviews.
Last edited by TomRFD on Sep 15th, 2020 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: updated title
29 replies
Jan 1, 2020
34 posts
47 upvotes
Someone tell me why this deal is bad and that I shouldn't buy it. Price seems pretty alright to me. Looking for something reliable to back up all of my photos.
[OP]
Nov 17, 2010
102 posts
74 upvotes
Same here. Need to replace my 5 year old time machine backup HD before it stops working on me.
Feb 12, 2017
128 posts
111 upvotes
Portable or 2.5" western digital externals are a BIG NO NO for people who wanted to take it out of the enclosure.
You can't use it as an internal drive.
The USB connector is soldered on! No SATA interface.
You can't recover any of your files if the controller fails, because you can't connect it to a mothboard.

This types of externals are only good for people who will use it as an external.
Jul 3, 2017
108 posts
220 upvotes
althegreat wrote: This types of externals are only good for people who will use it as an external.
So... most people? Even on RFD I think shuckers are in the minority.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4659 posts
789 upvotes
SK
Will this okay as external storage for a PS4?
shopper-X
Feb 12, 2017
128 posts
111 upvotes
SamuelNapper wrote: So... most people? Even on RFD I think shuckers are in the minority.
you dont get my second and MORE important point:
you CANNOT RECOVER your file if the controller board fails;
normally shuckable drive allow you take the working disk out and get your data back.
Nowadays, a lot of games are played for period of months even years to finish,
if the drive fails in middle of the game, you have to start all over with this drive.

Jan 31, 2013
27 posts
12 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanks for this,orderd two.

Edit:only ordered one,as there is a limit of one only.I asked my Daughter to also order one for me.
Last edited by wheeled on Sep 15th, 2020 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 16, 2019
531 posts
608 upvotes
althegreat wrote: normally shuckable drive allow you take the working disk out and get your data back.
Nowadays, a lot of games are played for period of months even years to finish,
if the drive fails in middle of the game, you have to start all over with this drive.
I'm completely ignorant in this topic, so pardon my question here... So if I get a shuckable drive I can recover saved pictures and videos in the event that the controller board fails? I've been looking to figure out the best way to ensure I never lose my valued memories, so I commonly run across RAID setups, NAS, and also often hear the work "shuckable" when it comes to hard drives. So I kind of have a hint of idea as to what NAS and RAID are, but I'm just curious as to how a shuckable vs. non-shuckable HDD would impact the performance of either NAS or RAID setup? I don't understand how they all intertwine, or any of it, but I am looking to educate myself.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
8639 posts
844 upvotes
Man why is it so "fat"... I'd really like these in my 2ndary bay of my laptop and replace my current 2tb one in there... but these are definitely "fatter" and wouldn't fit in a standard 2.5 laptop hdd tray.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Apr 19, 2016
172 posts
143 upvotes
GTA, ontario
grabbed one thank you
--- +++ There is a 255 character limit in signature +++ ---
Jul 22, 2019
953 posts
982 upvotes
How does this NAS stuff work?

I would like to back up like 10 TB of pictures. Right Now i have it spread out over multiple drives, and its so hard to like back up back ups lol. Whats the best solution?
Oct 17, 2012
15 posts
9 upvotes
Kenora
Parrajara wrote: I'm completely ignorant in this topic, so pardon my question here... So if I get a shuckable drive I can recover saved pictures and videos in the event that the controller board fails? I've been looking to figure out the best way to ensure I never lose my valued memories, so I commonly run across RAID setups, NAS, and also often hear the work "shuckable" when it comes to hard drives. So I kind of have a hint of idea as to what NAS and RAID are, but I'm just curious as to how a shuckable vs. non-shuckable HDD would impact the performance of either NAS or RAID setup? I don't understand how they all intertwine, or any of it, but I am looking to educate myself.

Shuckable means you can remove it from it’s enclosure and either put it into another enclosure or put it into a computer as you would a normal internal drive. I don’t think you’ll find anyone running RAID or a NAS with external drives plugged in via USB. You normally buy internal drives or shuckable externals. For whatever reason, external drives are cheaper than just buying the internal drive that’s in the externals. All of my drives in my Unraid NAS are shucked externals.

RAID isn’t considered a backup. If you want to ensure you never loose your precious data, like your valued memories, the 3-2-1 strategy is the way to go. I really need to take that advice myself, but haven’t done so as of yet...
Apr 24, 2012
515 posts
672 upvotes
Vancouver
produceprincess wrote: Someone tell me why this deal is bad and that I shouldn't buy it. Price seems pretty alright to me. Looking for something reliable to back up all of my photos.
This deal isn't bad, but it isn't hot either.
112.79 / 4 = 28.20 $/Tb

5Tb version regular price is $150, which is 30 $/Tb
https://www.amazon.ca/Passport-Portable ... 07VP5X239/

So if you look at per Tb price, than the price is not hot. And I'd rather have drives with higher capacity.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
5142 posts
1066 upvotes
I'd say for the times we're in this is a decent deal if you need storage now. Time machine aside, Best Buy was selling a 5TB Seagate for $99 back in January.