Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] WD 8TB My Book Desktop External Hard Drive, USB 3.0 $199.99

Jun 14, 2017
114 posts
111 upvotes
You should look at the data and correct your stance then. Backblaze stopped using Western Digital Drives all together in 2019. They mostly buy Seagate drives, like they have for at least 5 years now. What does that data tell you?
Goodbye Western Digital
In Q2 2019, the last of the Western Digital 6 TB drives were retired from service. The average age of the drives was 50 months. These were the last of our Western Digital branded data drives. When Backblaze was first starting out, the first data drives we deployed en masse were Western Digital Green 1 TB drives. So, it is with a bit of sadness to see our Western Digital data drive count go to zero. We hope to see them again in the future.

BTW, you should be careful promoting Kingston SSDs. They have a similar reputation to Seagate with hard disks, only there might be some actual statistics to back that notion up. I've had very bad luck with them personally.

Edit: I know Dell and other OEMs switch hard disks suppliers regularly. I guess they see them as interchangeable and not that one brand in inherently better than others? I'm not trying to say that Seagate is the best; I'm only disputing your advice.
pdipps wrote: tbh, haven't checked the most recent report, but the have, in the past, pretty consistently pointed out Seagate as having a higher failure rate than WD/HGST. Has that changed in the last 1-2 reports?

I'm fully willing to correct my stance if the numbers say otherwise and Seagate has made quality improvements. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

EDIT: looks like 2019 doesn't have any WD, but Seagates failure rate is 0.96%-3.32%. HGST failure rates are 0.4%-0.79%. HGST worst failures are better than Seagate's best. Seagate's worst drives are 8.3x more likely to fail than HGST's best

And RE: no major purchaser avoiding Seagate: Many (especially Dell, for instance) use whatever parts the can get that are the cheapest. Even the same model of laptop can have 3-4 different NICs, RAM, HDs.
Sep 29, 2010
330 posts
383 upvotes
pbtech wrote: You should look at the data and correct your stance then. Backblaze stopped using Western Digital Drives all together in 2019. They mostly buy Seagate drives, like they have for at least 5 years now. What does that data tell you?
Goodbye Western Digital
In Q2 2019, the last of the Western Digital 6 TB drives were retired from service. The average age of the drives was 50 months. These were the last of our Western Digital branded data drives. When Backblaze was first starting out, the first data drives we deployed en masse were Western Digital Green 1 TB drives. So, it is with a bit of sadness to see our Western Digital data drive count go to zero. We hope to see them again in the future.
They mentioned, somewhere in that same report (or the one before it) that it WASN'T a quality thing for WD, it was because they can't get any good deals on them in bulk.

Also of note, they can do the risk-reward math on drives dying because they probably have a ton of redundancy. Even with a 3% failure rate, the cost of replacing drives is less than the price gap, and they won't lose data. If you're not running with redundancy (or can't afford the downtime - most systems will hotswap/rebuild on their own, but restoring a PC backup can be tedious), then the premium for reliability would be worth it.
pbtech wrote: BTW, you should be careful promoting Kingston SSDs. They have a similar reputation to Seagate with hard disks, only there might be some actual statistics to back that notion up. I've had very bad luck with them personally.
I have been fortunate enough to not have any issues, and they had really good reviews everywhere, so I bought the best i could for the $, based on the info available. Too bad no one does for SSDs what BackBlaze does for HDs. :(
pbtech wrote: Edit: I know Dell and other OEMs switch hard disks suppliers regularly. I guess they see them as interchangeable and not that one brand in inherently better than others? I'm not trying to say that Seagate is the best; I'm only disputing your advice.
I can't remember the source (prob book or podcast), but basically Dell's whole model (and most manufacturers have copied it to keep up) was to basically build JiT with whatever the cheapest available at the time was. That's how they stay price competitive.

It's sort of like that quote from fight club...
A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.
If the failure rate is 3%, and the cost for better drives >3%, then they keep using the cheaper drives. They don't care about your data, they care about fulfilling the warranty - which only includes replacing the drive, not recovering your data.
Jun 14, 2017
114 posts
111 upvotes
As noted above, Western Digital has snuck SMR drives into their Red line for NAS devices. I am not aware of Seagate doing anything so underhanded and ill-advised and surely this is not a reason to recommend WD.
Companies like Backblaze aren't using a single Western Digital drive in their facility and every major OEM uses them equally with any other brand. I think we agree on all of this.
It is hard for me to understand how you can believe: "Western Digital > Seagate" and not think it is driven by brand loyalty. You seem to realize that no major purchasers share your opinion.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
4455 posts
5998 upvotes
Vancouver
vodka wrote: Are these WD better than the 8TB Seagate (which I bought from Staples for $150 in Dec 18 - thread on here).
Looking to add a 2nd for backups, and rotate monthly between the 2, store the other in the safe.

-on another note (please point be to the right thread if exists, looking to do a 3rd backup copy offsite, at my family's place- is there anything in place to facilitate this easily?

cheers
Without getting in usual and ridicules contest "who's bigger and better", in this particular case WD is the better choice...

However, nothing wrong with 10TB Segate [from another thread - Best Buy @ $229 I think] because it is Barracuda PRO - one of the best drives in this category out there.
"A fool and his money are soon parted" Thomas Tusser (1524-1580)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9742 posts
5635 upvotes
Seagate's 10TB for $229.99 is the current benchmark I think. Right?
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2007
2635 posts
3189 upvotes
Calgary
max011 wrote: Without getting in usual and ridicules contest "who's bigger and better", in this particular case WD is the better choice...

However, nothing wrong with 10TB Segate [from another thread - Best Buy @ $229 I think] because it is Barracuda PRO - one of the best drives in this category out there.
Recent shucks have shown people getting Ironwolf Pros, which IMO is great, especially if you’re going to put them into a NAS. I ordered two in the hopes of getting the Ironwolf Pros. Need to retire the 5 x 3 GB WD Reds in my Synology as I’m running out of space.
Oct 9, 2013
286 posts
49 upvotes
Calgary
ZipSpeed wrote: Recent shucks have shown people getting Ironwolf Pros, which IMO is great, especially if you’re going to put them into a NAS. I ordered two in the hopes of getting the Ironwolf Pros. Need to retire the 5 x 3 GB WD Reds in my Synology as I’m running out of space.
What's the source of your information??? Have u find any yourself...

Any idea of manufacturing date or the batch for the same ???

Thanks
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2011
1066 posts
217 upvotes
Vancouver
I have like 4 MyBooks from years ago that totals around 10GB, is it best to just buy 1 myBook 10TB and transfer everything and toss the old ones away? I feel like I am taking up too much space with all these old external HDs.
Jun 9, 2012
415 posts
267 upvotes
Vancouver
rajat001 wrote: Thanks... it means it's better to.have the iron wolf pro as they are NAS based officially.. better than Barracuda pro .. ?? Right ??
Yes, they are better for frequently rewriting the platters. Although you can kinda just use cheaper 8TB SMR versions if you are using Unraid. Just make sure your parity drives are not SMR and it should be pretty okay. If you don't use them as parity, the rebuild time would become insane if you ever needed to do one.
Sep 29, 2010
330 posts
383 upvotes
pbtech wrote: As noted above, Western Digital has snuck SMR drives into their Red line for NAS devices. I am not aware of Seagate doing anything so underhanded and ill-advised and surely this is not a reason to recommend WD.
Seagate HAS done it: https://blocksandfiles.com/2020/04/15/s ... p-hdd-smr/

The article mentioned Toshiba has too.

I think it's safe to say many HD manufacturers have underestimated how much we would notice SMR.
pbtech wrote: Companies like Backblaze aren't using a single Western Digital drive in their facility and every major OEM uses them equally with any other brand. I think we agree on all of this.
It is hard for me to understand how you can believe: "Western Digital > Seagate" and not think it is driven by brand loyalty. You seem to realize that no major purchasers share your opinion.
Again, Backblaze has said in one of their reports that it was really a cost issue, NOT a quality one. Not sure what else there is to discuss if you ignore that fact.

And honestly, I'm not "brand loyal" to WD. To be honest HGST/Hitachi, Kingston and Crucial have been great too. I'm more anti-Seagate than anything else.
Oct 9, 2013
286 posts
49 upvotes
Calgary
BigBrother0 wrote: Yes, they are better for frequently rewriting the platters. Although you can kinda just use cheaper 8TB SMR versions if you are using Unraid. Just make sure your parity drives are not SMR and it should be pretty okay. If you don't use them as parity, the rebuild time would become insane if you ever needed to do one.
I am just putting In my pc... but they say if u format the drive and use as parity then data is safe even the drive is kind of dead...

These are smr drives ?? And we need to format that with AOMEI and create a small partition in the drive itself ??? That's how it will be ... I have one ssd and one 2 Tb traditional hdd in the system already... what do recommend??
Jun 14, 2017
114 posts
111 upvotes
pdipps wrote: Seagate HAS done it: https://blocksandfiles.com/2020/04/15/s ... p-hdd-smr/

The article mentioned Toshiba has too.

From the URL you posted:
"Seagate confirms that we do not utilize Shingled Magnetic Recording technology (SMR) in any IronWolf or IronWolf Pro drives – our NAS solutions family"
This is not the same thing. Western Digital did this with their NAS/Red drives.