• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2018 7:23 pm
[OP]
Nov 13, 2007
480 posts
284 upvotes
Ontario

[Amazon.ca] WD black 256gb M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD $119.99

Lowest sale price on a great m.2 ssd for those who got that great deal on a dell xps 13.
Last edited by gates59 on Feb 26th, 2018 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
2413 posts
537 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
bah. I've been watching the sb black 512gb multiple times a day now for a few weeks for my vx15. saw your post and thought, if they're knocking some off the 256 maybe the 512 too!? nopes. lol I'll keep watching. thanks for the post OP.
Second rule of RFD ... don't talk about stocktrack.ca with non-members of RFD
Third rule of RFD ... see first rule. if you don`t know first rule, someone`s following the rules ;)

Woodstock, ON
Nov 5, 2009
97 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Is there an easy way to clone an existing ssd to one of these? I have always used a hardware drive duplicator in the past.
Aug 26, 2006
747 posts
491 upvotes
Montreal Area
Buy an m2 to sata adaptor and plug it in ur duplicator
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29131 posts
9669 upvotes
tkboyz wrote: Buy an m2 to sata adaptor and plug it in ur duplicator
Most of these only work with m.2 SATA drives, so be careful with that idea.

Anyway good price, though despite the "Black" name, this is actually a lower-end NVMe SSD. I guess they called it Black because in comparison to HDDs...lol.

This actually uses planar TLC NAND (you know the kind the naysayers on RFD pooh-pooh to no end and incessantly tell people not to buy?) but it still performs better than Intel's 600p (which uses 3D TLC). That said the 600p is now discontinued and the newer 760p that replaces it, is superior to this drive--though I'm not sure what those sell for or if they are even easy to get right now. Personally I don't see the huge problem with planar TLC especially if it performs well (SLC cached) and a good warranty (this has 5 years) it should be a good bet.

What sucks the most for us is that MyDigitalSSD drives are still not very easy to get in Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5799 upvotes
Burlington
mcmaxx wrote: Is there an easy way to clone an existing ssd to one of these? I have always used a hardware drive duplicator in the past.
just plug it in and download some free cloner. pretty easy. got mine done in like 20 mins
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5799 upvotes
Burlington
pca1987 wrote: which one is better? crucial mx300, WD blue or WD black?

WD blue 250gb is $105 so I am guessing black is better?
https://www.amazon.ca/Blue-NAND-250GB-S ... blue+250gb

crucial mx300 is 275gb for the same WD black price
https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-MX300-275 ... x300+275gb
those are just regular m2. not nvme.. so theoretically 1/4 of the speed of the WD black.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6884 posts
5799 upvotes
Burlington
pca1987 wrote: oh wow, I am not familiar with this - so do I need a special port to use nvme? how can you tell if a laptop supports it? for example that inspiron 15 i5570

http://click.linksynergy.com/deeplink?i ... b&u1=rfdcb
not sure about that. But my bet would be yes, newer tech should have it.

You can confirm by going into bios and look at the storage option, it should show NVMe or PCIe 3x4
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29131 posts
9669 upvotes
pca1987 wrote: oh wow, I am not familiar with this - so do I need a special port to use nvme? how can you tell if a laptop supports it? for example that inspiron 15 i5570

http://click.linksynergy.com/deeplink?i ... b&u1=rfdcb
Yes, by and large, consumer-level NVMe drives use an m.2 slot. It's not exactly "special" but it will typically only be found on Skylake and newer machines. Not all Skylake and newer will have one though and there are some older Haswell and Broadwell -based machines that can have it as well (albeit usually bandwidth-limited due to 9-series chipset limitations).

Note that the speed difference between NVMe and SATA isn't really 4x, the sequential rates are certainly much faster but the performance differences "where it counts" are not nearly as large. That said NVMe is still faster; and, if you can use an NVMe drive, it's a better idea these days to go that route than SATA. The price difference between SATA drives and the lower-end NVMe is not that big anymore so it's definitely worth it to spend the little bit extra to go NVMe...if you can.

From the specs of your laptop (and reviews) it seems like you have two m.2 slots on it--one will already be populated by the wifi/BT card, the other is free and NVMe capable, so yeah you'd want to go with an NVMe drive--also this way you can leave your factory HDD in there for storage, no probs :)
Aug 30, 2015
811 posts
552 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
ES_Revenge wrote: Yes, by and large, consumer-level NVMe drives use an m.2 slot. It's not exactly "special" but it will typically only be found on Skylake and newer machines. Not all Skylake and newer will have one though and there are some older Haswell and Broadwell -based machines that can have it as well (albeit usually bandwidth-limited due to 9-series chipset limitations).

Note that the speed difference between NVMe and SATA isn't really 4x, the sequential rates are certainly much faster but the performance differences "where it counts" are not nearly as large. That said NVMe is still faster; and, if you can use an NVMe drive, it's a better idea these days to go that route than SATA. The price difference between SATA drives and the lower-end NVMe is not that big anymore so it's definitely worth it to spend the little bit extra to go NVMe...if you can.

From the specs of your laptop (and reviews) it seems like you have two m.2 slots on it--one will already be populated by the wifi/BT card, the other is free and NVMe capable, so yeah you'd want to go with an NVMe drive--also this way you can leave your factory HDD in there for storage, no probs :)
thank you so much, for $20 more I think the black is a good deal then.
Nov 11, 2003
288 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
mcmaxx wrote: Is there an easy way to clone an existing ssd to one of these? I have always used a hardware drive duplicator in the past.
Acronis true image can do the job
Dec 27, 2007
21391 posts
13007 upvotes
Kitchener
pca1987 wrote: thank you so much, for $20 more I think the black is a good deal then.
The reviews on newegg are little worrisome (overheating and throttling esp after firmware update).
Samsung EVO might be a safer bet (granted it $37 more but if you will be using this as a boot drive might be worth the premium) ?
https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-960-EVO-I ... B01LYFKX41
Banned
Apr 19, 2016
435 posts
226 upvotes
aasoror wrote: The reviews on newegg are little worrisome (overheating and throttling esp after firmware update).
Samsung EVO might be a safer bet (granted it $37 more but if you will be using this as a boot drive might be worth the premium) ?
dont buy this one, buy intel 760p, it just came out, it smash all tlc ssd include samsung 960evo. and 760p is only 99 usd. now memory express is on sale for 119 cad. almost about 99usd. forget samsung now... go for intel 760p. 256gb , up to 2900mb/s, just got one.
[OP]
Nov 13, 2007
480 posts
284 upvotes
Ontario
Lawrence0317 wrote: dont buy this one, buy intel 760p, it just came out, it smash all tlc ssd include samsung 960evo. and 760p is only 99 usd. now memory express is on sale for 119 cad. almost about 99usd. forget samsung now... go for intel 760p. 256gb , up to 2900mb/s, just got one.
I hope you are right on this intel 760p. I just bought it. Bought it from memory express. Had to pay shipping thought.
Feb 17, 2007
179 posts
61 upvotes
Try Ease US Partition Manager . The free version supports the cloning as long as your target drive is large than the source drive.
Aug 30, 2015
811 posts
552 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
aasoror wrote: The reviews on newegg are little worrisome (overheating and throttling esp after firmware update).
yeah just read some of them, it's definitely worrisome.
I had ordered a WD blue for $105 and decided to upgrade to the black for a few more dollars. The Samsung price would be stretching too much. I might consider this intel 760p that Lawrence0317 recommended. Downside is that it takes 2 weeks to arrive and is a new product so it may have the same problems or even new ones.

What to do what to do....
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
2522 posts
1673 upvotes
Montreal
Lawrence0317 wrote: dont buy this one, buy intel 760p, it just came out, it smash all tlc ssd include samsung 960evo. and 760p is only 99 usd. now memory express is on sale for 119 cad. almost about 99usd. forget samsung now... go for intel 760p. 256gb , up to 2900mb/s, just got one.
I cannot wait for 760p 1TB drives!
Oct 24, 2005
590 posts
201 upvotes
Samsung 960 EVO MZ-V6E250BW - Solid state drive - encrypted - 250 GB - internal - M.2 2280 - PCI Express 3.0 x4 (NVMe) - 256-bit AES - TCG Opal Encryption is $149.99 at dell.ca, so $10 less than Amazon:

http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/accessor ... 9922683927

But is intel 760P the one to go with? Will the price drop in near future?