Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal 2.5in SSD - 114.99$ ATL

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 5th, 2021 10:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2008
1129 posts
1872 upvotes
Montreal

[Amazon.ca] WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal 2.5in SSD - 114.99$ ATL

I think this is the ATL for this ssd drive. It's a great drive for a great price, maybe not great as an OS drive, but great to store games.
Thread Summary
Not the specs you're looking for? Check out RFD Reviews' list of the best SSDs for your devices!
12 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
10555 posts
19662 upvotes
Montreal
Micron NANDs and DRAM so great drive even as OS drive with storage space.

OP probably means not so great as an OS drive because it's too big? Then the 250 GB version is $55 also on Amazon.ca

EDIT: WD use SanDisk NANDs.
Last edited by Temporel on May 19th, 2021 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
6274 posts
7441 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Temporel wrote: Micron NANDs and DRAM so great drive even as OS drive with storage space.

OP probably means not so great as an OS drive because it's too big? Then the 250 GB version is $55 also on Amazon.ca
Micron? With that description, I'd be thinking of the MX500.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2014
1094 posts
1324 upvotes
rugerty100 wrote: Micron? With that description, I'd be thinking of the MX500.
Micron also has/had a close relationship with Intel (SSDs) as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2003
1418 posts
729 upvotes
Temporel wrote: Micron NANDs and DRAM so great drive even as OS drive with storage space.

he means wd blue is a lower tier drive, so it may be better suited to store games rather than apps/os
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
10555 posts
19662 upvotes
Montreal
Sorry, my mistake.

It turns out WD use SanDisk NANDs according to Newmaxx's SSD list.

Still, since the WD Blue has DRAM, I would not hesitate to use it as an OS drive.

Crucial MX500 has lost a little bit of its aura lately with the still unacknowledged write amplification problem.
Dec 15, 2015
479 posts
463 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
I got this from a previous deal and PM with Staples plus coupon and it ended up around $114.xx tax in. Good ssd for a good price.
"With great discounts comes great battle for self restraint"
Oct 14, 2009
625 posts
340 upvotes
Toronto
ATL was 104.99 from Newegg a few weeks ago but price is still good
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2019
2172 posts
2787 upvotes
I thought there is a chip shortage?
-------------------
GO zoomers ~
$36 6GB UNLIMITED CARP voicemail + a free phone / 2yr
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5692 posts
3831 upvotes
Toronto

EDIT: WD use SanDisk NANDs.
JustinZ wrote:
he means wd blue is a lower tier drive, so it may be better suited to store games rather than apps/os
Temporel wrote: Sorry, my mistake.

It turns out WD use SanDisk NANDs according to Newmaxx's SSD list.

Still, since the WD Blue has DRAM, I would not hesitate to use it as an OS drive.

Crucial MX500 has lost a little bit of its aura lately with the still unacknowledged write amplification problem.
I think people see SATA these days and think SATA isn't ideal for OS use. The jump from SATA to NVMe is nowhere near from HDD to SSD so I think the NVMe push is a but overblown. Sure the system won't be quite as snappy but it's still more than adequate and personally I think both the MX500 and WD Blue 3D are fine and make excellent upgrades for older systems that don't have NVMe slots. They also make fantastic secondary drives where NVMe slots are limited. I doubt anyone using old SATA drives is taxing an MX500 enough to worry about write amplification.

As for the NAND thing. It's definitely Sandisk NAND, though IIRC, Sandisk NAND is made in a partnership with Toshiba, though I don't know if this affects all Sandisk NAND or not. Either way, the NAND on any of the drives being discussed is solid and shouldn't be an issue that most users should concern themselves with.
Deal Expert
Jan 12, 2017
20530 posts
5862 upvotes
Scarberia
need a 1tb nvme drive at this price!
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to [email protected] stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>