Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

WD Blue SN550 500GB NVMe Gen3 PCIe ($65 + FS)

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2021 12:33 pm
[OP]
Nov 22, 2009
821 posts
1004 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] WD Blue SN550 500GB NVMe Gen3 PCIe ($65 + FS)

All time low per CCC
Thread Summary
If you're shopping around, take a look at RFD Reviews' top picks for the best SSDs for your devices!
27 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
2203 posts
863 upvotes
Is 600 TBW considered good these days or should I be looking at another type of NVME for a drive to be used as external storage?
Sep 1, 2017
55 posts
100 upvotes
Goonish wrote: Is 600 TBW considered good these days or should I be looking at another type of NVME for a drive to be used as external storage?
It depends what you're using it for.. And that 600 TBW is for for 1tb drive. For plotting Chia. I would stay away from this drive. But as an OS or games drive.. this thing is perfect. You'd have to write the whole drive 600x which will never happen as standard use at home
Apr 6, 2007
449 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
Miatch wrote: It depends what you're using it for.. And that 600 TBW is for for 1tb drive. For plotting Chia. I would stay away from this drive. But as an OS or games drive.. this thing is perfect. You'd have to write the whole drive 600x which will never happen as standard use at home
Chia noob here, thinking of setting up for chia.. why is this no good for chia farming? Please and thanks.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2004
1304 posts
513 upvotes
Toronto
for chia, Ebay, 400gb sas SLC drive + sas adapter. best value per tbw.
Feb 14, 2006
858 posts
996 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
jp149 wrote: for chia, Ebay, 400gb sas SLC drive + sas adapter. best value per tbw.
Unsure if i'm impressed or disappointed i know what all that means.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
21133 posts
25079 upvotes
This drive is fine for PCs, but it remains hit and miss on some major laptop product lines. Compatibility issues and such.

At this price, it's hard to say no if you're building a value PC.
Nov 28, 2013
111 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
I was about to buy this Crucial P2 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD for $73 ($9 more than the WD Blue) Crucial to update an older "late 2013" MacBook Pro that I keep around as an emergency / backup machine. (Here is the details for anyone interested https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/up ... e.2034976/

I t was the most highly rated for speed and energy by the site where I learned how to swap in the new M.2 drive. The Crucial was almost 4x faster writing than the WD Blue.

Anyone know the main differences? Not sure saving $9 is worth it.

Thanks in advance!
Aug 30, 2019
11 posts
34 upvotes
btkli wrote: Chia noob here, thinking of setting up for chia.. why is this no good for chia farming? Please and thanks.
As of today with 1 Chia "plot", you can expected win time 1 block of 2 Chia coins is about 20 years. For the privilege's of this chance to "win", you need 5-7 hours of time,101GB of hard drive capacity, 260 GB of temporary SSD space and 1.3TB of data to be written to the SSD.
Since the SSD only have a TeraBytes Written Rating (TBW) of 600. This operation kills your SSD by 0.2%. In other words, 461 Plots later, your SSD is expended.

That's fine if you're doing it casually to learn, or for fun. But if you're aiming for "profit" there's better ways to spend your money.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3626 upvotes
Toronto
clinteast wrote: I was about to buy this Crucial P2 500GB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD for $73 ($9 more than the WD Blue) Crucial to update an older "late 2013" MacBook Pro that I keep around as an emergency / backup machine. (Here is the details for anyone interested https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/up ... e.2034976/

I t was the most highly rated for speed and energy by the site where I learned how to swap in the new M.2 drive. The Crucial was almost 4x faster writing than the WD Blue.

Anyone know the main differences? Not sure saving $9 is worth it.

Thanks in advance!
This chart is not accurate when it comes to the P2, which has been shifted from TLC to QLC. At 500GB, I wouldn't touch the P2 with a 10 foot poll due to atrocious off cache performance.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3626 upvotes
Toronto
canadarm2008 wrote: As of today with 1 Chia "plot", you can expected win time 1 block of 2 Chia coins is about 20 years. For the privilege's of this chance to "win", you need 5-7 hours of time,101GB of hard drive capacity, 260 GB of temporary SSD space and 1.3TB of data to be written to the SSD.
Since the SSD only have a TeraBytes Written Rating (TBW) of 600. This operation kills your SSD by 0.2%. In other words, 461 Plots later, your SSD is expended.

That's fine if you're doing it casually to learn, or for fun. But if you're aiming for "profit" there's better ways to spend your money.
While I don't know enough about chia to determine the worthiness of plotting it, I feel the need to point out, for the second time in this thread, that TBW is a measurement of warranty, not longevity. The NAND on your SSD is rated for many more writes than the drive is rated for, but since not all writes are made equal, the SSD manufacturers use very conservative estimates when assigning TBW ratings. So no, the SSD won't just up and die when you reach 600TBW.
Aug 30, 2019
11 posts
34 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: While I don't know enough about chia to determine the worthiness of plotting it, I feel the need to point out, for the second time in this thread, that TBW is a measurement of warranty, not longevity. The NAND on your SSD is rated for many more writes than the drive is rated for, but since not all writes are made equal, the SSD manufacturers use very conservative estimates when assigning TBW ratings. So no, the SSD won't just up and die when you reach 600TBW.
Correct It's not the exact life of the SSD in a sense that It probably won't die at the 601st TB but it is proportional. We can always expect manufactures will always state a endurance where they are confident that very few will come back. As a consumer, that is what we are concerned with this number, because it is the only related spec that's provided.

Another way I usually think about this is this: if WD know the expected failure TBW of each NAND on the chip is 2000TB, it won't rate the SSD at a mere 600TB.
Aug 10, 2013
476 posts
217 upvotes
Mississauga
For SSD,
I will pay more to buy the WD Black instead.
WD Black is much better quality, you pay what you get for.....
Thanks Op anyway!
Last edited by bonegraft on May 19th, 2021 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5508 posts
3626 upvotes
Toronto
canadarm2008 wrote: Correct It's not the exact life of the SSD in a sense that It probably won't die at the 601st TB but it is proportional. We can always expect manufactures will always state a endurance where they are confident that very few will come back. As a consumer, that is what we are concerned with this number, because it is the only related spec that's provided.

Another way I usually think about this is this: if WD know the expected failure TBW of each NAND on the chip is 2000TB, it won't rate the SSD at a mere 600TB.
It's funny you picked 2000TB because 1TB of TLC NAND would be rated for anywhere between 1500 and 3000 TBW. Now like I said earlier, not all writes are equal and the wear on a drive is not always the same. So there can be some performance issues long before you hit the 1500-3000 TBW range, and the manufacturers just don't want to deal with customers complaining because their SSD slowed down from writing too much. But no, I would not be shocked if a 1TB SSD lived to 2000 TBW.

EDIT: Just to add to that, for most of the drives on the market, the TBW is set identically to what the manufacturer of the controller recommends. Not what the manufacturer of the NAND recommends. I truly do not think it is a useful measurement for trying to gauge the lifetime of an SSD.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1234 posts
1177 upvotes
Great price for this drive, but it's Up to 2,400MB/s read and Up to 1,950MB/s write speeds mean it's best for motherboard with 2x M2 slots, and this one inserted in the 2nd pcie gen3 x2 slot.

The First pcie gen3 x4 would be better suited for WD SN750 Black ... probably not a big deal now, but Microsoft is working on bringing Direct Storage to Windows and MAYBE there might be some differences ...
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3476 posts
2020 upvotes
Up by $5 from OP price
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!