[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7173 posts
8786 upvotes
Richmond Hill

[Amazon.ca] WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 2280 500GB - $77

Good morning everyone

I noticed the 500GB SN550 dropped under $80 today. It's not the fastest drive out there, but it's also not awful. I plan on slapping this into my thinkpad as a secondary/storage drive
https://www.amazon.ca/Blue-SN550-500GB- ... B07YFF3JCN

Most SSD deals have been hovering around the $90 to $100 range, so I figured this would be a good post

When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
14 replies
Apr 1, 2009
145 posts
120 upvotes
Terrace
Thank you. Looks like a great price. Cheaper than many SSD drives.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5566 posts
3693 upvotes
Toronto
Zarkey wrote: I don't think these have DRAM. Just putting it out there but good deal for casual user

https://www.storagereview.com/news/wd-b ... ssd-review
It doesn't but the lack of DRAM is a bigger deal on SATA than on NVMe. I don't recall the specifics but the way this drive handles the lack of DRAM is also a lot better than just about any other DRAM-less drive on the market.

This is actually one of the best entry level drives on the market and is very easy to recommend at this price point. There is better for sure but when it's mostly going up against QLC drives, this is better.
Aug 23, 2019
560 posts
416 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: It doesn't but the lack of DRAM is a bigger deal on SATA than on NVMe. I don't recall the specifics but the way this drive handles the lack of DRAM is also a lot better than just about any other DRAM-less drive on the market.

This is actually one of the best entry level drives on the market and is very easy to recommend at this price point. There is better for sure but when it's mostly going up against QLC drives, this is better.

Yea I just got one for my new rig so i guess ill find out in a years time how it fairs as a main drive in a year lol. Seems to be better than the cheaper samsung drives posted here for $60/70. some of those also slow down as their cache shrinks
Mar 31, 2018
236 posts
246 upvotes
Any suggestions for a compatible enclosure?
Looking to make up a portable external SSD storage.
Appears that it is very important to make sure the enclosure is correct fit.
Thanks.
Sep 30, 2019
5 posts
mississauga
Sizing isn't the issue its NVMe vs SATA. The enclosure you're looking for will have a physical form factor of M.2 to match this drive. It is important to make sure it is an NVMe enclosure, not a SATA enclosure, as they have different pin configurations. Another thing to consider is transfer speed but thats usually a matter of fast vs very fast.

a basic cheap one is (https://www.amazon.ca/Enclosure-Adapter ... 642&sr=8-3)
Mar 31, 2018
236 posts
246 upvotes
Thanks.
So basically around $120 for the SSD plus enclosure.
Not bad for a 500gb SSD portable storage.
Jun 9, 2019
59 posts
64 upvotes
Do not just get any cheap enclosure, some will heat up too much and disconnect intermittently. There is one particular forum thread where this is discussed: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/st ... ?view=date

Basically, recommendation is to buy one that has either RTL9210 or ASM2362 controller.
Banned
May 15, 2016
7020 posts
2486 upvotes
Can someone recommend a good fast reliable drive for this? What is the max speed?
Feb 11, 2014
44 posts
38 upvotes
Mississauga
I plan on slapping this into my thinkpad as a secondary/storage drive
Just out of curiosity OP, what do you use as your primary storage drive? I've also got a ThinkPad that I've been thinking of upgrading.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32856 posts
14572 upvotes
Did WD do anything to make amends for their SMR debacle? 'Cause if not, I still say "don't buy WD".
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2013
5566 posts
3693 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: Did WD do anything to make amends for their SMR debacle? 'Cause if not, I still say "don't buy WD".
I despise the way WD treats customers too. Their poor track record extends well past the SMR debacle, encrypting drives at a hardware level without any ability to disable it, soldering USB ports directly to externals, trying to bury drive problems by renaming them. That said, it's hard to not recommend this drive when WD did such a solid job of producing a drive that can compete with QLC drives on price but still easily outperforms them.