Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

WD Red 10TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD100EFAX $367.87

Apr 6, 2007
451 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
chadw01 wrote:
a lot put useless data they don't mind losing (e.g. movies, pr0n, etc) so they are willing to roll the dice; but in your case, would make sense since it's for your business and you can simply write off the purchase as a business expense vs the average rfd frugal consumer; you need stability and certainty and that's understandable, but different strokes for different folks

the white label reds and cuda pros that are shuckable are very solid drives and i would rather take the chance on those than the previous thread on seagate smr's that were on sale a few weeks ago that folks were jumping right ontop of because of the low price per gb
Ya that's the thing. I think everything has its purpose. Some just focuses on the $/GB.. but it's like you said, some would say the SMR drives are just as adequate. Who am I to say really. If it works for them great. If the shucked Costco drives works for you better, then even better for you. I just can't can't bother with a riskier purchase for my business (especially reading about some possible fire issues), and the WD Reds have been great for me.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
Lush78 wrote: I recently rebuilt my 12 bay Synology with 12 of the Costco 8tb mybooks. Best deal going IMO.
I have a Synology also and this is temping. How did you migrate existing data?
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
Jaytee wrote: I have a Synology also and this is temping. How did you migrate existing data?
I was fortunate that I had all my data backed up on a friend's Synology. After rebuilding, I simply transferred it back.
Mar 9, 2014
328 posts
587 upvotes
Ottawa
I feel like once a person goes NAS there is no going back. I have a cloud storage plan of 5TB and now the drive I've ordered 8tb (they both would have same data) I am just wondering if I go NAS route as well, I'll have my personal cloud but then I would need to ensure it is fed with internet and power all the time and it's untouched or undamaged or I'll lose all my data unless I build redundancy but then for that I'd need extra HDD and for RAID- i'd need similar HDD -oh wow even writing all this makes me think it'll be a such a huge learning curve for me.

When will cloud storage become cheap- anyone has any idea? lol
Apr 6, 2007
451 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
Jaytee wrote:
I have a Synology also and this is temping. How did you migrate existing data?
Are you talking about changing out a drive in your NAS, or migrating all the drives from one Synology NAS to a new Synology NAS? If you going from old to new Synology NAS, migration is actually quite easy. You backup first of course, but the process is more like backing up your settings, then turning off your your old NAS, and moving the drives to the new in the same order as your old. Turning it on and the process is pretty much automatic.

Now some of the newer Synology NAS support the BTRFS file system (but also support the older ext4). Something to look at if you want to make the conversion now. So far the only way to do that is to start building everything from scratch. That was the route I took.. built everything in the new BTRFS. The process is a lot longer, takes a lot of old hard drives to backup everything.. but I rather do it now than later when I have even more data to backup
Last edited by btkli on Apr 12th, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 6, 2007
451 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
viktor89 wrote: I feel like once a person goes NAS there is no going back. I have a cloud storage plan of 5TB and now the drive I've ordered 8tb (they both would have same data) I am just wondering if I go NAS route as well, I'll have my personal cloud but then I would need to ensure it is fed with internet and power all the time and it's untouched or undamaged or I'll lose all my data unless I build redundancy but then for that I'd need extra HDD and for RAID- i'd need similar HDD -oh wow even writing all this makes me think it'll be a such a huge learning curve for me.

When will cloud storage become cheap- anyone has any idea? lol
It really comes down to your use. If are ok with the portable drive and possibly having to run everything thru a computer or lug it around wherever you need, then go with it as it may be cheaper. The NAS itself is basically a computer. It turns on itself when it's needed, or hibernate itself when not. I can access all my files everything, inside or outside my house.

Cloud is nice but not cheap. You will also have difficulty getting to your items if you lose internet or data. You also will need fast enough bandwidth and enough data to access your information. I don't know if that speed will be good enough for many tho, especially when you are talking about TB of information...
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1095 posts
558 upvotes
Montreal
Any good deals on a NAS right now?
Feb 8, 2013
258 posts
118 upvotes
what's the speed of the WD drives from Costco? 7200?

Kev
Dec 26, 2008
631 posts
344 upvotes
Ottawa
Unless you need 10T, I bought WD RED 8T for 199. if you are not in a hurry, probably you can wait for a better deal.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
btkli wrote: If you talking about changing out a drive in your NAS, or migrating all the drives from one Synology NAS to a new Synology NAS? Of you going from old to new Synology NAS, migration is actually quite easy. You backup first of course, but the process is more like backing up your settings, then turning off your your old NAS, and moving the drives to the new in the same order as your old. Turning it on and the process is pretty much automatic.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant upgrade the disks sizes in my Synology. But now that I think of it, I might as well just buy a new Synology and drives.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Apr 6, 2007
451 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
Jaytee wrote:
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant upgrade the disks sizes in my Synology. But now that I think of it, I might as well just buy a new Synology and drives.
It's actually pretty simple.. is yours on Raid? Mostly it's just taking out the old drive and replace the drive with the new. But you have to do it one at a time, and give each plenty of time to rebuild the array before you swap the next drive. You you check the status over diskstation.
Last edited by btkli on Apr 12th, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
btkli wrote: Ya not much of a deal.. WD Red 10TB (WD100EFAX) was on sale last week at neweggs for $349 +$8 for shipping, or the WD101EFAX - newer but not helium filled was selling for $329 + shipping.

I posted that here last week but got no love because people don't appreciate the NAS drives. People keeps talking about the Costco drives, and it's true it's cheaper BUT there are also risks. There are a lot of talks about modifying the drives for it to work (molex to SATA), and in some cases even catching fire. The drives also don't have TLER enabled by default (you will have to manually enable it Everytime you reboot) which may be important to some that doesn't have software error detection in some RAID setups.

Anyways I have had a lot of appreciation for NAS drives. Some of the drives I'm still using are from 2014 and all of them are still running strong. I also run my NAS for my business, so I have no appetite to take these risks with the cheaper drives (yes I have had previous issues with my desktop drives dying in my NAS that wrecked up my array, and none of them lasted more than 3 yrs). Anyways the longevity of these NAS drives are enough for me to justify the extra costs.

I just don't think the price is that great right now. Anyways I also dont think people realize how sh*tty our CAD is right now, and the price of items like HDD has gone up significantly. Anyways don't get too hard on yourself about it. I appreciate you posting this
For this I give you thumbs up
Yup I ordered the 101's from your newegg thread. Bought 4 but one was DOA WTF! The drive worked but sounded like a jet engine and was vibrating the whole array. Newegg was good about doing a RMA, but due to covid it's going to nearly a 2 week ordeal now. First time I've ever had a DOA drive.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
okko08 wrote: what's the speed of the WD drives from Costco? 7200?

Kev
5400rpm
Apr 6, 2007
451 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote:
Yup I ordered the 101's from your newegg thread. Bought 4 but one was DOA WTF! The drive worked but sounded like a jet engine and was vibrating the whole array. Newegg was good about doing a RMA, but due to covid it's going to nearly a 2 week ordeal now. First time I've ever had a DOA drive.
Thanks for the share! I never had DOA myself either. But good everything is done thru RMA (sucks for the little bit of wait!)

Luckily my drives all came fine. Fingers crossed...
Last edited by btkli on Apr 12th, 2020 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6722 upvotes
Alberta
Another upside to shucking is that the drives are protected during shipping a lot better in retail packaging and rubber mounted inside the enclosure.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23735 upvotes
Richmond Hill
btkli wrote: Thanks for the share! I never had. DOA myself either. But good everything is done thru RMA (sucks for the little bit of wait!)

Luckily my drives all came fine. Fingers crossed...
Yup just bad luck. Newegg had the drives packaged really well for shipping.
Apr 6, 2007
451 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
Ya newegg had everything extremely well packaged. The drives themselves have it's own air cushions and it's individual boxes.. and then they all were put into a bigger box that had more air cushions.. I don't blame Newegg at all for the DOA drive, of there was any. I have heard Amazon just ships these drives in an unprotected envelope.
Last edited by btkli on Apr 12th, 2020 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5744 posts
5510 upvotes
Toronto
Jaytee wrote: Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant upgrade the disks sizes in my Synology. But now that I think of it, I might as well just buy a new Synology and drives.
You easily upgrade in DSM:
Can I use larger hard drive(s) to expand the storage capacity on Synology Product (for DSM 2.2 and onward)?
https://www.synology.com/en-global/know ... and_onward
Mar 9, 2014
328 posts
587 upvotes
Ottawa
btkli wrote:
It really comes down to your use. If are ok with the portable drive and possibly having to run everything thru a computer or lug it around wherever you need, then go with it as it may be cheaper. The NAS itself is basically a computer. It turns on itself when it's needed, or hibernate itself when not. I can access all my files everything, inside or outside my house.

Cloud is nice but not cheap. You will also have difficulty getting to your items if you lose internet or data. You also will need fast enough bandwidth and enough data to access your information. I don't know if that speed will be good enough for many tho, especially when you are talking about TB of information...
Speed? what do you mean? isn't speed dependent upon our ISP? having a NAS gives you more speed than ISP provides?

Aymer wrote: Unless you need 10T, I bought WD RED 8T for 199. if you are not in a hurry, probably you can wait for a better deal.
From where?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)