Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

WD Red 10TB NAS Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 256MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD100EFAX $367.87

Apr 6, 2007
451 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
viktor89 wrote: ]

Speed? what do you mean? isn't speed dependent upon our ISP? having a NAS gives you more speed than ISP provides?
A NAS connected you router will let you go as fast as your router will permit (typically Gbits/s over LAN or Mbps/sec over wifi). When you have cloud (online) storage, you are limited to what the ISP will provide, 10's of Mbps to maybe 1 Gbit/sec if you are lucky (and paying a fortune), and you may be limited to how much data you have a month. So yes generally NAS will be much faster than getting through your internet. All comes down to your needs.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6721 upvotes
Alberta
viktor89 wrote:
From where?
I purchased a 8tb WD red from Amazon in July 2019 for $205 and in December for $199.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2008
1190 posts
501 upvotes
Abbotsford
FYI, I ordered a WD Red 10TB 101EFAX from Amazon a couple of weeks ago and the bare drive was shipped in a thin padded envelope WITH NO ADDITIONAL PADDING! I was shocked.

When I installed the drive it made some strange clicking sounds when powering on. Clearly it was damaged due to the poor packaging. I sent it back immediately.

I'll never order another bare hard drive from Amazon again.
Mar 9, 2014
328 posts
587 upvotes
Ottawa
btkli wrote: A NAS connected you router will let you go as fast as your router will permit (typically Gbits/s over LAN or Mbps/sec over wifi). When you have cloud (online) storage, you are limited to what the ISP will provide, 10's of Mbps to maybe 1 Gbit/sec if you are lucky (and paying a fortune), and you may be limited to how much data you have a month. So yes generally NAS will be much faster than getting through your internet. All comes down to your needs.
I've started researching NAS units- I'm assuming - all NAS unit needs is constant internet connection and power?
Which kind of RAID do you run? for me it'll be most likely the one in which 4 TB is counted as 2 TB so I have 2 copies. lol that's all I know abour RAID
Apr 6, 2007
451 posts
477 upvotes
Toronto
viktor89 wrote:
I've started researching NAS units- I'm assuming - all NAS unit needs is constant internet connection and power?
Which kind of RAID do you run? for me it'll be most likely the one in which 4 TB is counted as 2 TB so I have 2 copies. lol that's all I know abour RAID
Most use Synology with a backup power supply. Some backup power supplies communicate with the Synology NAS to warn of power failure, and gives time for the NAS to finish it's operations and shut down, so that no data is lost. They have a compatible UPS list on Synology you can look up.

As for raid, yes I use the Synology Hybrid Raid (SHR). You can take a look this to try and help you decide:
https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/RAID_calculator
Last edited by btkli on Apr 12th, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6241 posts
708 upvotes
chadw01 wrote: yup they are cuda pro's in there, but they also hit $199 last Nov, so if you can wait, BB should have it back down to that again

otherwise, the 8TB Costco one's with the WD white label reds are still the best deal at the moment
+1

I got the 10TB Seagate External in Nov/Dec when they were selling to $199.

Plugged the external into my desktop via USB as soon as I got home. Confirmed drive inside was a 10TB Barracuda Pro. Stress tested it to make sure it was solid, and then shucked it and threw it into my unRaid file server.

The exact same drive in the enclosure goes for around ~$500 buying it as a stand alone internal drive. For that price, I could buy TWO external Seagate 10TB External drives with the same internal drive inside of them, have one bite the bullet within the first year, have the drive rejected for warranty purposes, and STILL be financially ahead vs buying one internal drive.

If you're looking for high density mechanical hard drives, nowadays you are almost always better off cost-wise going with an external drive and shucking it. In some cases, you will literally be hundreds of dollars ahead.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
2116 posts
1137 upvotes
I just bought a 10TB Seagate Expansion drive from Best buy for $250. I've never shucked before but it was dead easy. Inside was a 10TB Barracuda Pro, which is a seriously premium drive for this price and better than the Red.

Good luck all.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5581 posts
7780 upvotes
Vancouver
viktor89 wrote: No, no. I ain't even mad lol. I learned something new.

I cancelled my own order as well. I'll go towards shuck it route. I was just concerned with warranty considering how much we spend on drives only to learn it got denied it something goes wrong.

BTW there's a Toshiba X300 at $266 CDN 8tb on amazon as well. (internal)
Few things:

* You made a good decision by canceling your order - you already learned that Smiling Face With Open Mouth;

* Look into 10GB Seagates for shucking - I am the last one to stand up for Seagate in general, but these should be "Pro" models, and they are good. As well as IronWolfs...

* And the one - the most important thing!! - it took me too long to realize [I understood this concept when my $hitty WD Green crapped on me after like 4 months: Do I really want to send it back for the replacement, with all the data [backup drive!] on it that I cannot delete safely??? Answer was "No", obviously, and from that moment on, I just go for "liberating en-caged drives"; you buy a quality drive and hope for the best. Usually, this pays off big time in the long run...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6721 upvotes
Alberta
I handle all my own warranty. Throw failed HDD in garbage and buy another.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5581 posts
7780 upvotes
Vancouver
HugsNotDrugs wrote: I just bought a 10TB Seagate Expansion drive from Best buy for $250. I've never shucked before but it was dead easy. Inside was a 10TB Barracuda Pro, which is a seriously premium drive for this price and better than the Red.

Good luck all.
One, you overpaid it but important thing is that you are happy with it.

Two, what authority ever said it's better drive compared to Red/White helium WD???
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5581 posts
7780 upvotes
Vancouver
viktor89 wrote: When will cloud storage become cheap- anyone has any idea? lol
Just out of curiosity: How you guys handle encryption of your cloud-stored data??

I hope nothing goes up there without YOU encrypting it first LOCALLY???
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1136 posts
634 upvotes
Unlimited internet and mostly streaming services, what’s the use case for NAS now? Could anyone elaborate? I don’t play games, is it something must have? But I have a paid iCloud service for photos backup, one drive for documents, but in RFD , always NAS is really hot topic , just trying to understand the need
Deal Guru
Apr 10, 2011
12749 posts
25726 upvotes
Montreal
+1 and why is NAS so expensive? (apart from the drives themselves)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6721 upvotes
Alberta
I use my 24 bay nas for storing high quality movies, much better than any streaming service. I use my 15 bay nas, for music, documents, and games.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2017
2085 posts
1541 upvotes
Vancouver
Lush78 wrote: I was fortunate that I had all my data backed up on a friend's Synology. After rebuilding, I simply transferred it back.
Can’t you just pull one drive at a time and repair? Or doesn’t work that way?

I have a 918+ with two 1tb drives that filled too quickly.
Thinking of buying the Costco deal but not if I have to start over.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2004
1409 posts
1561 upvotes
max011 wrote: Two, what authority ever said it's better drive compared to Red/White helium WD???
There's probably no data on reliability, but at least the Seagate Barracuda Pro is 7200 RPM, which makes it faster.

The real problem is heat. If you can maintain a consistently low operating temperature, I'd say they'll both last at least to MTBF.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2015
5779 posts
6721 upvotes
Alberta
Suthek wrote:
Can’t you just pull one drive at a time and repair? Or doesn’t work that way?

I have a 918+ with two 1tb drives that filled too quickly.
Thinking of buying the Costco deal but not if I have to start over.
You could do that, but I was rebuilding my 24 drive array. This time I separated them into 2x12 using shr-2 for 2 drive fault tolerance in each pool. Building the array takes close to a week, so doing that one drive at a time would be extremely time consuming. That is an option if using SHR (allows for bigger drives) if backing up to another nas is not possible. Thankfully it was for me and it took nearly a week to transfer and about the same to build the array. In your case, it's not a big deal. You could easily backup to a portable drive too.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
@viktor89
since it is really not a good price for this 10TB
on your original post, Bottom right corner, you can send this thread to expired.
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5863 posts
2612 upvotes
echo_jey wrote: Unlimited internet and mostly streaming services, what’s the use case for NAS now? Could anyone elaborate? I don’t play games, is it something must have? But I have a paid iCloud service for photos backup, one drive for documents, but in RFD , always NAS is really hot topic , just trying to understand the need
Plex server with 50+ clients, surveillance software.

Most people like to manage their own data instead of relying on a third party "cloud", plus all those service costs add up
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2009
6858 posts
5573 upvotes
M-Arkham
max011 wrote: Few things:

* You made a good decision by canceling your order - you already learned that Smiling Face With Open Mouth;

* Look into 10GB Seagates for shucking - I am the last one to stand up for Seagate in general, but these should be "Pro" models, and they are good. As well as IronWolfs...

* And the one - the most important thing!! - it took me too long to realize [I understood this concept when my $hitty WD Green crapped on me after like 4 months: Do I really want to send it back for the replacement, with all the data [backup drive!] on it that I cannot delete safely??? Answer was "No", obviously, and from that moment on, I just go for "liberating en-caged drives"; you buy a quality drive and hope for the best. Usually, this pays off big time in the long run...
You're not the only one to stand up for seagate, Ive seen a lot of dead seagate drives in my life time, but at the moment, their barracuda pro and ironwolf drives are solid, and I could stand by that statement. Too bad their drives from 8-4 years ago were dismal failures n disasters
Signature removed due to rule violation

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)