Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

WD Red 4TB NAS Internal Hard Drive - 5400 RPM - SMR - $82.99

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 2nd, 2021 4:09 am
37 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
3158 posts
3525 upvotes
Montreal
Thanks. Got 2 more for my giant NAS. I write once and fill it full so all I care is that it can read fast enough 4k files and that's good enough. Thanks.
<no self promotion>
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
2536 posts
1726 upvotes
Kitchener
soupmaster666 wrote: SMR affects random write performance. The theory is that Red drives are used in NASes and are unlikely to see sustained random writes, so they won't be visibly affected. If your workloads involve that and you aren't caching, maybe try to get CMR.
Interesting and thank you for that explanation.

Taking that into account, if I am using it as a media drive in my Nas, where I write show to weekly, and then only delete the files a year or so later, should I worry about smr vs cmr?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1426 posts
378 upvotes
I am using this as backup file with raid 1. Probably writing on it once a week. So should be enough idle time for the drive to reorganize
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2019
1378 posts
1671 upvotes
koft wrote: I am using this as backup file with raid 1. Probably writing on it once a week. So should be enough idle time for the drive to reorganize
Not sure why you'd get a SMR drive for raid. It's the number one use case you shouldn't use SMR for. There are always deals on CMR for the same price.

I bought a 4tb blue a few months back for 80, this SMR trash is $3 more. Never pay more for SMR!
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2005
1531 posts
103 upvotes
SonicRings wrote: Not sure why you'd get a SMR drive for raid. It's the number one use case you shouldn't use SMR for. There are always deals on CMR for the same price.

I bought a 4tb blue a few months back for 80, this SMR trash is $3 more. Never pay more for SMR!
Been waiting on a deal for a 4tb CMR drive for the past month :(….crickets!!
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2019
1378 posts
1671 upvotes
doubleA wrote: Been waiting on a deal for a 4tb CMR drive for the past month :(….crickets!!
There was a 4tb wd red plus cmr for $85 last month.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2008
1674 posts
294 upvotes
Can you use it as a desktop hard drive?
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2009
1433 posts
1395 upvotes
Toronto
I paid $85 for the 4TB Red Plus (WD40EFZX) at Canada Computers in August. I’m sure there’ll be another sale soon (I.e no Time Machine required) . I personally would not buy the Red for $82.
Last edited by mcfrugal on Sep 29th, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 14, 2018
9970 posts
40829 upvotes
Star* wrote: Can you use it as a desktop hard drive?
Yes, it is a 3.5" SATA HDD
hi :)
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10208 posts
11270 upvotes
SonicRings wrote: Not sure why you'd get a SMR drive for raid. It's the number one use case you shouldn't use SMR for. There are always deals on CMR for the same price.

Sounds like someone has no clue what RAID 1 is.

Plus OP said 'writes once a week', you REALLY think SMR is going to make ANY difference in that case???

There is this INSANE level of, frankly, BLIND RAGE at any SMR drive, and those exhibiting this rage have zero clue as to WHEN SMR will actually make a difference.

If you can get a CMR drive cheaper than an SMR one, then go for the cheaper drive.
Deal Guru
Mar 5, 2007
10208 posts
11270 upvotes
SonicRings wrote: There was a 4tb wd red plus cmr for $85 last month.
Got a time machine handy?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2019
1378 posts
1671 upvotes
repatch wrote: Got a time machine handy?
He literally said he was looking all month and didn't see any. I told him there was one a month ago. What do I need a time machine for? You're funny.
Last edited by SonicRings on Sep 30th, 2021 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2009
1433 posts
1395 upvotes
Toronto
repatch wrote: Got a time machine handy?
Time Machine is only available to people who are able to read simple sentences. Sorry …
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2004
1426 posts
378 upvotes

Sorry I am still waiting for a CMR drive in decent prices but seems to missed out over the past month and a half. I am going to run a mirror for important file backup not running for media or high intensity read and write. (So SMR and CMR won’t make such Huge diff) Yes if I can get a CMR at good price will definitely jump on it. Maybe I will wait again before pulling the trigger.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2013
1813 posts
1358 upvotes
Toronto
With BF around the corner will hold off for WD Red Plus/Element drives. Looking to add a few more drives for my Plex.
May 8, 2021
8 posts
1 upvote
I ended up price beating the 6TB drive from Newegg at Memory Express, the manager said i was getting it near or at cost and he said he would have to contact his suppliers to figure out what was going on at Newegg. The sale went down not too long after, might have been a price error on the 6TB drive
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
Will the drive survive Amazon shipping it in a bubble mailer, tho?
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)