[Amazon.ca] WD red pro 4tb NAS (7200rpm) 32% off, $169

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2019 2:54 am
[OP]
May 22, 2016
535 posts
633 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] WD red pro 4tb NAS (7200rpm) 32% off, $169

Great deal on this. This one has large cache so that could be important depending on your use
Last edited by SS76SS on Dec 9th, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
27 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
4274 posts
824 upvotes
Newbury, ON
This is the Pro red drive
Nov 17, 2019
25 posts
23 upvotes
Not a great deal. Memory Express sold WD 8TB for $199.99+TAX at black friday.
[OP]
May 22, 2016
535 posts
633 upvotes
WeikeM40570 wrote: Not a great deal. Memory Express sold WD 8TB for $199.99+TAX at black friday.
Link to that product to ensure you are comparing apples to apples
Dec 13, 2012
805 posts
556 upvotes
TORONTO
For streaming and backing up from a NAS, the Red (non-pro) is more than enough right? Picked up the Red 8TB during BF sales but that hasn't shipped yet.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2013
1448 posts
743 upvotes
GVR
Its a very good deal especially if you need drives for a heavy user NAS or maybe you have a big business. If you are a home user, the regular red is enough as long as backup and redundancy is followed.
Aug 14, 2009
379 posts
398 upvotes
BC
silvergate wrote: Its a very good deal especially if you need drives for a heavy user NAS or maybe you have a big business. If you are a home user, the regular red is enough as long as backup and redundancy is followed.
Also, any home user with a NAS or server with >8 bays would be wise to look at Red Pro, as non-Pro Red's are only designed for up to 8 in a single chassis.
Aug 12, 2010
789 posts
590 upvotes
SS76SS wrote: Link to that product to ensure you are comparing apples to apples
I saw the WD8tb for 199.99 and I believe it was 5400 rpm non/pro.

This is a deal for an SME buiness user. For home, well the 10TB External USB for $199.99 was the big deal this year
Zoomer $36 Plan Loyal
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
I would argue that 7200RPM is kinda useless in a NAS type drive, so I'm going to say that the 8TB Red for $200 here:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon- ... 9-2333831/
is a technically better deal.

Yes this is a better drive, but you don't need speed with a NAS drive since you're running a bunch of them.

trendless wrote: Also, any home user with a NAS or server with >8 bays would be wise to look at Red Pro, as non-Pro Red's are only designed for up to 8 in a single chassis.
I wonder what the technical basis (if anything) for this is.
I suspect that it's a marketing thing to sell "better" drives and nothing else.
Oct 1, 2005
603 posts
406 upvotes
Kitchener
lbmeyer wrote: For streaming and backing up from a NAS, the Red (non-pro) is more than enough right? Picked up the Red 8TB during BF sales but that hasn't shipped yet.
Yes. The 8TB red for $199 was very good.

If you ask me, when it comes to mass storage, price per GB is all that matters, period. And in that case the 8TB My Book is only $10 more than this 4TB Red Pro for double the storage, and has a white label red drive inside. RAID is not a backup strategy on its own, and you can't trust any drive no matter what the marketing says. For the same money you get double the TB which means you can have a second backup of all your data without spending more. That to me if far more valuable.
Aug 14, 2009
379 posts
398 upvotes
BC
death_hawk wrote: I would argue that 7200RPM is kinda useless in a NAS type drive, so I'm going to say that the 8TB Red for $200 here:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazon- ... 9-2333831/
is a technically better deal.

Yes this is a better drive, but you don't need speed with a NAS drive since you're running a bunch of them.

I wonder what the technical basis (if anything) for this is.
I suspect that it's a marketing thing to sell "better" drives and nothing else.
I've never seen 5400rpm drives used in an environment where performance matters. Random read/write IOPS alone make 7200rpm a better choice unless you truly don't care about performance.

As for number of disks, it's all about vibration tolerance. There's a reason why enterprise class storage like Red Pro, Gold, Ultrastar, Exos et al cost significantly more.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13001 upvotes
trendless wrote: I've never seen 5400rpm drives used in an environment where performance matters. Random read/write IOPS alone make 7200rpm a better choice unless you truly don't care about performance.
To be fair, I've never seen hard drives used in an environment where performance matters.
SSDs are going to murder 7200RPM drives if you care about IOPS.
As for number of disks, it's all about vibration tolerance. There's a reason why enterprise class storage like Red Pro, Gold, Ultrastar, Exos et al cost significantly more.
I mean... I'm not a huge sample size, but I've been using bottom of the barrel shucked drives in worse than enterprise environments without significant issues.
I'm talking about 100 stacked in enterprise cases in a rack.

Then there's Backblaze which actually uses consumer drives in enterprise and also seems to do just fine.
I don't think you could convince them that the double+ cost of enterprise drives is worth it to them either.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1113 posts
868 upvotes
Airdrie
I would have liked this a few months ago.

I picked up the 4tb WD blue for storage and it is quite slow and I had to RMA once already. They dont reimburse you shipping costs, so I spent $109 on the drive plus $13 return shipping. Should have bought a better drive and saved myself the headache.
[OP]
May 22, 2016
535 posts
633 upvotes
What do you use it for that its not fast enough for you?
mcwilly wrote: I would have liked this a few months ago.

I picked up the 4tb WD blue for storage and it is quite slow and I had to RMA once already. They dont reimburse you shipping costs, so I spent $109 on the drive plus $13 return shipping. Should have bought a better drive and saved myself the headache.
Banned
Dec 9, 2019
11 posts
11 upvotes
still pricey. about few months ago have got the 3.5 Inch Sata 6 Gb/s 5400 RPM 256MB Cache for 130CND. Pass
[OP]
May 22, 2016
535 posts
633 upvotes
christopherbye wrote: still pricey. about few months ago have got the 3.5 Inch Sata 6 Gb/s 5400 RPM 256MB Cache for 130CND. Pass
If 5400 is good enough for you , then sure, but this deal is the lowest price on amazon according to camel camel camel.ca if you need 7200 RPM and large cache..
Last edited by SS76SS on Dec 10th, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1113 posts
868 upvotes
Airdrie
SS76SS wrote: What do you use it for that its not fast enough for you?
Its sufficiently fast for my storage needs, as it's not my primary drive I think it tends to go to sleep. When I go to access it after a while of inactivity it has to spool up for a few seconds and sounds like it's going to take off before I can access it.

Maybe the rest of my computer is just too fast and quiet now, I never noticed this on my old computer which had two 5400 drives in it.

The headache mainly came from having it stop showing up on my desktop, figure out what was wrong, figure out how to access the data, then transfer all my data to two external drives and return it.

First world problems...
Dec 14, 2003
16 posts
3 upvotes
trendless wrote: Also, any home user with a NAS or server with >8 bays would be wise to look at Red Pro, as non-Pro Red's are only designed for up to 8 in a single chassis.
Out of curiosity do you have a reference for this?