Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

WD SN550 nvme 1TB $115 (ATL?)

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2021 2:39 pm
[OP]
Member
Apr 1, 2012
214 posts
231 upvotes
Nova Scotia

[Amazon.ca] WD SN550 nvme 1TB $115 (ATL?)

I don't see this posted yet, and believe it is the ATL.

Also available at Canada Computers and Newegg (same price), or PM to Memory Express.

Unfortunately it appears WD have done some bait and switch (as with most SSD makers now), so there is no guarantee which specific version you will get.

For those wanting a cheap price/GB nvme drive, this could be the one. For those wanting higher performance, you can pay a bit more and get a faster drive (SN750 at $145 is a valid option...personal choice).
Last edited by RFDSimon on Sep 8th, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated link
Thread Summary
If you're looking for more options, check out RFD Reviews' list of the best SSDs for your devices!
105 replies
Member
Sep 29, 2014
288 posts
352 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Is this good for a laptop? Any ideas on how much power this consumes?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23060 posts
28564 upvotes
It's a good price, but component swaps are hitting WD PCIe 3.0 SSDs now.

Not innocuous either.
.
Sr. Member
Aug 19, 2013
979 posts
1027 upvotes
TORONTO
the comments section in that same article seems to suggest even the SN750 was nerfed. Of course there's no solid proof yet but once a scammer, always a scammer probably applies here. They already tried to shove the SMR junk in NAS products.

There was even a RFD user here defending that SMR is great for NAS since no one ever RAIDs their NAS.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
1941 posts
1367 upvotes
Grande Prairie AB
saudor wrote: the comments section in that same article seems to suggest even the SN750 was nerfed. Of course there's no solid proof yet but once a scammer, always a scammer probably applies here. They already tried to shove the SMR junk in NAS products.

There was even a RFD user here defending that SMR is great for NAS since no one ever RAIDs their NAS.
The bait and switch thing sucks but 99.9% of users of this SN550 wouldn't notice at all, so it's still a good price, if the 2TB was $230 that would be a for sure buy.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23060 posts
28564 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Just for context, this is what everyone's talking about -- WD has silently switched the components on this SSD, resulting in 50% speed reduction, but they didn't update the model numbers. So all benchmarks from various review sites are no longer valid for this version
https://www.theregister.com/2021/08/27/ ... omponents/
This is planned obsolescence in action.

You may see class actions resulting from this, against multiple makers.

We don't need PCIe 4.0 drives immediately, don't cripple your 3.0 drives to convince us otherwise.

The problem is now industry wide among almost all makers.

This is why God invented lawsuits.
.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 12, 2012
2817 posts
2441 upvotes
Toronto
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Just for context, this is what everyone's talking about -- WD has silently switched the components on this SSD, resulting in 50% speed reduction, but they didn't update the model numbers. So all benchmarks from various review sites are no longer valid for this version
https://www.theregister.com/2021/08/27/ ... omponents/
How can we verify which one we got?
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4896 posts
1899 upvotes
Vancouver
My pre-built PC I picked up a week ago from Memory Express has a WD BLUE SN550 1B boot drive built June 30th 2021. I tested it with CrystalDiskMark and ATTO and it is right where I expected it to be.

As I understand how a boot drive works, I doubt it will ever handle a large file of the size that that is said to cause issues with the switched NAND - QLC in place of TLC. I've subsequently installed a Black SN750 2TB for my "working" drive where I will install as many apps and games as possible and also store new images that almost never get larger than 200M.

.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2012 upvotes
Fernando Poo
How's it compare with the SN750 Black?
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4896 posts
1899 upvotes
Vancouver
hagbard wrote: How's it compare with the SN750 Black?
I just ran a 1GB file test on the SN750 and the results are VERY surprising. NOT what I expected.

I'll post some images later. Going to run an 8GB and 16GB test on both drives.

.
Newbie
Dec 30, 2010
74 posts
103 upvotes
North York
check SMART info, the original full speed version with firmware starts with 21; however, the new downgraded version with firmware starts with 23.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4896 posts
1899 upvotes
Vancouver
Oh....doh!!! :facepalm:

I forget I had not yet swapped the drives into the correct slots. The SN750 is is a PCIe3.0 slot. I should not have been surprised.

Going to swap slots and then retest. Maybe have images tomorrow.

.
Sr. Member
Sep 25, 2009
883 posts
682 upvotes
NewsyL wrote: Oh....doh!!! :facepalm:

I forget I had not yet swapped the drives into the correct slots. The SN750 is is a PCIe3.0 slot. I should not have been surprised.

Going to swap slots and then retest. Maybe have images tomorrow.

.
SN750 is PCIe 3.0
SN850 is PCIe 4.0
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 8, 2003
10519 posts
2905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If it's now DRAMless QLC drive, avoid by all means.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 19, 2017
1404 posts
1287 upvotes
Moncton
wlee wrote: If it's now DRAMless QLC drive, avoid by all means.
Just the fact that it's QLC has it off of my list of recommended drives. It's bad enough when the manufacturer changes controller and/or quality of storage chips, but when they go so far as to change the type of storage media that has effects that go far beyond a few benchmark points.

I've got a couple of 500GB SN550 drives for use as secondary storage (SN750 and Gammix boot drives) but that was based on the original model. I wouldn't purchase one of these unless it was closer to $90 to compensate for lower expectations from the current design.
Koodo 8GB UL T&T @ $45 (ported in from Public Mobile)
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
4896 posts
1899 upvotes
Vancouver
strikeraj wrote: SN750 is PCIe 3.0
SN850 is PCIe 4.0
Yes, you're right! I had originally planned to get an SN850 and went with the SN750 based on a review that showed good write speeds under load.

Too much going on here ATM with backing up the old system for transfer to the new system - my brain is all over the place.

Nutshell.... with a 1GB file:

SN550 reads at 2455 MB/s
SN750 reads at 3130 MB/s

SN550 writes at 1990 MB/s
SN750 writes at 1175 MB/s.


I'll still test the 8GB and 16GB file sizes later.

.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23060 posts
28564 upvotes
NewsyL wrote: Yes, you're right! I had originally planned to get an SN850 and went with the SN750 based on a review that showed good write speeds under load.

Too much going on here ATM with backing up the old system for transfer to the new system - my brain is all over the place.

Nutshell.... with a 1GB file:

SN550 reads at 2455 MB/s
SN750 reads at 3130 MB/s

SN550 writes at 1990 MB/s
SN750 writes at 1175 MB/s.

I'll still test the 8GB and 16GB file sizes later.
.
Those SN750 writes are troubling.

Thanks for sharing.
.
Penalty Box
Jan 1, 2018
717 posts
1209 upvotes
Buy the sn750, or the sn850 if you have a gen 4 board.

These ssds have been messed with recently, I wouldn't support it.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)