Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

WD_Black 1TB SN850 SSD Solid State Drive with Heatsink (PS5 compatible) Camelx3 all time low $239.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2022 8:45 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
User avatar
Nov 13, 2003
145 posts
61 upvotes
New Market

[Amazon.ca] WD_Black 1TB SN850 SSD Solid State Drive with Heatsink (PS5 compatible) Camelx3 all time low $239.99

Last edited by tastle on Jan 23rd, 2022 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
118 replies
Jr. Member
Aug 26, 2010
101 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
Not saying it’s a bad deal, but still more than I’m willing to pay for console storage.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23076 posts
28581 upvotes
With Microsoft buying up big name developers and not requiring PCIe 4.0 drives, plus the XSX being easier to source, and Gamepass being great...

It's a hard sell for this drive on the basis of the PS5 alone.

It's a great workstation drive though, and if it's an ATL, that's something in this price environment.
.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
5586 posts
5799 upvotes
GTA
Smokecell wrote: Not saying it’s a bad deal, but still more than I’m willing to pay for console storage.
Just get a cheap external USB drive then. But if you want an internal solution, this deal is fine.
I paid $200 for a 1tb Samsung 980 Pro and another $30 for the Sabrent PS5 heatsink which I just noticed is on sale for $25 right now

My drive is a different model and I would prefer the Samsung, but still comparable in price.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
5586 posts
5799 upvotes
GTA
redflagdealsguy wrote: With Microsoft buying up big name developers and not requiring PCIe 4.0 drives, plus the XSX being easier to source, and Gamepass being great...

It's a hard sell for this drive on the basis of the PS5 alone.

It's a great workstation drive though, and if it's an ATL, that's something in this price environment.
When just comparing the product and not declaring the console wars over, this doesn't equate. Both consoles accept external USB storage, whereas Xbox's storage solution is proprietary, still a bit external, and more expensive

Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox Series X|S 1TB Solid State Drive - NVMe Expansion SSD for Xbox Series X|S (STJR1000400) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08K3S6WJM/ref ... UTF8&psc=1

$279 and I don't know if it's ever gone on sale
c'mon get happy!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7613 posts
5585 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: When just comparing the product and not declaring the console wars over, this doesn't equate. Both consoles accept external USB storage, whereas Xbox's storage solution is proprietary, still a bit external, and more expensive

Seagate Storage Expansion Card for Xbox Series X|S 1TB Solid State Drive - NVMe Expansion SSD for Xbox Series X|S (STJR1000400) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08K3S6WJM/ref ... UTF8&psc=1

$279 and I don't know if it's ever gone on sale
$279 is actually the sale. $299 most places and from Microsoft.

I only bought one because I had $125 in Microsoft rewards to use. I also have this WD drive in my PS5 from a previous deal. Happy with both solutions.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
5586 posts
5799 upvotes
GTA
tietherope wrote: $279 is actually the sale. $299 most places and from Microsoft.
Oh strange it doesn't indicate it being on sale in the Amazon page I linked, must be Amazon's regular price then
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 13, 2015
4815 posts
5266 upvotes
Alberta
BernardRyder wrote: Oh strange it doesn't indicate it being on sale in the Amazon page I linked, must be Amazon's regular price then
I've been tracking it for a while and it's normally $289 on Amazon.
Newbie
Dec 16, 2021
2 posts
4 upvotes
980 plus was $199 Boxing Day for 1TB for better performance. Cold deal.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2008
7613 posts
5585 upvotes
codex119 wrote: This drive is way too overpriced. Just get the s70 blade for near half the price and near the same performance.

https://www.amazon.ca/XPG-1TB-GAMMIX-Bl ... 201&sr=8-2
$160 vs $240 isn't nearly half though. It's 50% more, not 100%. Experience varies, but a lot of people indicate you still want to buy a heatsink for the S70 as the one included isn't all that great.
PrinceGKRQ wrote: 980 plus was $199 Boxing Day for 1TB for better performance. Cold deal.
This has a heatsink from the factory. Not a fair comparison. This drive without a heatsink also goes for $190 to $199 often enough.

From my research a month or two ago the WD drive was actually ahead for the most part in a PS5, although just slightly.
Last edited by tietherope on Jan 23rd, 2022 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penalty Box
Jan 1, 2018
717 posts
1210 upvotes
PrinceGKRQ wrote: 980 plus was $199 Boxing Day for 1TB for better performance. Cold deal.
I have both and the sn850 performers better in most tasks.

Sn850 is the fastest I own.
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2011
2072 posts
4644 upvotes
Mississauga
codex119 wrote: This drive is way too overpriced. Just get the s70 blade for near half the price and near the same performance.

https://www.amazon.ca/XPG-1TB-GAMMIX-Bl ... 201&sr=8-2
Cheap drives are great to use for short-term use, and they usually fail the longer you use them or how often you use them. The speeds on more inexpensive drives also tend to perform worse when you start filling up the drive. Plus, when you're dealing with a warranty claim, their support is generally non-existent too. If you plan to keep a PS5 for quite a while, it is better to go with a more reputable brand and paying a bit of more for peace of mind.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23076 posts
28581 upvotes
jetertmac wrote: Cheap drives are great to use for short-term use, and they usually fail the longer you use them or how often you use them. The speeds on more inexpensive drives also tend to perform worse when you start filling up the drive. Plus, when you're dealing with a warranty claim, their support is generally non-existent too. If you plan to keep a PS5 for quite a while, it is better to go with a more reputable brand and paying a bit of more for peace of mind.
Nah, you'll be fine, these are PS5 games which you can re-download from the cloud. For a dedicated workstation, maybe consider the premium SN850

The S70 fits the bill nicely, we're early in the life cycle, so ADATA has not nerfed the components yet.

He's giving good advice.
.
Member
Jun 20, 2009
452 posts
492 upvotes
edmonton
PrinceGKRQ wrote: 980 plus was $199 Boxing Day for 1TB for better performance. Cold deal.
Hot for those who are looking for a 1TB NVME right now for their PS5.

Also, combine with the Amazon business $100 off $300 offer for even more savings.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 16, 2009
5586 posts
5799 upvotes
GTA
redflagdealsguy wrote: Nah, you'll be fine, these are PS5 games which you can re-download from the cloud. For a dedicated workstation, maybe consider the premium SN850

The S70 fits the bill nicely, we're early in the life cycle, so ADATA has not nerfed the components yet.

He's giving good advice.
And there's the rub...

Same company that nerfed previous products and got called out for it all over the internet. No thanks

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata ... ping-parts

That's partially why I went with the Samsung, but I would also trust a WD over Adata and their shady practices. Why not wait for a FattyDove or similar low end Chinese brand to start cranking out M2 Gen4 drives, those will be even cheaper than Adata and also use hyped specs and a "components lottery" system.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
23076 posts
28581 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: With Microsoft buying up big name developers and not requiring PCIe 4.0 drives, plus the XSX being easier to source, and Gamepass being great...

It's a hard sell for this drive on the basis of the PS5 alone.

It's a great workstation drive though, and if it's an ATL, that's something in this price environment.
If you can afford both, get both consoles, live the dream. Get a 4.0 drive while you're at it, for the PS5.

That being said, someone provided a detailed analysis of the console market below. Watch all 5 minutes.
https://v.redd.it/acgnztz91ed81
.

Top