Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

WD_Black 1TB SN850 SSD Solid State Drive with Heatsink (PS5 compatible) Camelx3 all time low $239.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2022 8:45 am
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37128 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: Why is the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus more attractive than the S70 Blade?

It seems the S70 has noticeably faster reads and writes. Writes are way faster on the S70.

Is this an edge case concern or is this the anti-ADATA bandwagon effect? The S70 is also $20 cheaper.

We know ADATA's history, is that the reasoning here?

These are review era drives folks, ADATA is not going to risk nerfing their top shelf NVMe while reviews are still circulating. They'll wait for the product to age out first.
tietherope wrote: This is largely aimed at the PS5 and lesser drives will not cut it.
For that reason, I'd actually recommend the S70 over the Sabrent Rock 4 Plus, if the specs are honest.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ad ... sd-review/

The above review falls short of recommending the drive because of the release date pricing on the 2TB. The aggressively priced 1TB is a great value, at just $10 higher than ATL.

The minimum read performance required by the PS5 is 5500mb/s, but I wouldn't be surprised if that minimum threshold isn't enough for some games during high intensity in-game sequences. So many people are complaining about this situation that I think the XSX made the right move not forcing this gamesmanship on players. That said, if you're in for a PS5, you might as well be in for an affordable 4.0 drive in the S70.

God bless, Gentlemen.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8438 upvotes
GTA
redflagdealsguy wrote: Why is the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus more attractive than the S70 Blade?

It seems the S70 has noticeably faster reads and writes. Writes are way faster on the S70.

Is this an edge case concern or is this the anti-ADATA bandwagon effect? The S70 is also $20 cheaper.

We know ADATA's history, is that the reasoning here?

These are review era drives folks, ADATA is not going to risk nerfing their top shelf NVMe while reviews are still circulating. They'll wait for the product to age out first.
I don't think they waited very long to nerf out the drives I linked before. I believe they nerfed them right after sending out review hardware to the usual magazines and YT channels, which is why some got angry and retracted or quickly updated their reviews. You can have a lot of reviews before it ships to the public, and Aging Out sounds like years but could in fact be a month, tops.
So how long has this drive been in manufacture again? In your opinion, is it unjustified anti-Adata bandwagoning? Is their history enough to advise people to be wary, just to save $20 or $40?
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37128 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: I don't think they waited very long to nerf out the drives I linked before. I believe they nerfed them right after sending out review hardware to the usual magazines and YT channels, which is why some got angry and retracted or quickly updated their reviews. You can have a lot of reviews before it ships to the public, and Aging Out sounds like years but could in fact be a month, tops.
So how long has this drive been in manufacture again? In your opinion, is it unjustified anti-Adata bandwagoning? Is their history enough to advise people to be wary, just to save $20 or $40?
That answers my question.

Regarding your question on the waiting period:

Review Date - Dec. 21, 2021
Despite its strong performance in a variety of tests, the ADATA XPG Gammix S70 Blade is also among the more affordable, enthusiast-class PCIe Gen 4x4 SSDs. The 2TB drive we tested can currently be found for only $249, which works out to about $0.12 - 0.13 per gigabyte. There are a handful of lower-priced Gen 4 SSDs available, but not that offer the kind of top-end performance of the ADATA XPG Gammix S70 Blade. The only read downside to the drive is that it can run somewhat warm relative to some other top-end M.2 SSDs, so it's probably best suited to an enthusiast desktop system or PS5 where there is good airflow, versus an ultrabook where airflow is often reserved for the CPU and GPU. Considering the all around strong performance and highly competitive pricing, however, we can easily recommend the ADATA XPG Gammix S70 Blade. If you're building a new rig or upgrading your SSD, the ADATA XPG Gammix S70 Blade should be on your short list.
https://hothardware.com/reviews/adata-x ... ssd-review
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Jan 23rd, 2022 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Aug 23, 2019
668 posts
519 upvotes
Bad deal for a PS5 storage "upgrade" since a gen 3.5 (gen 4 controller) ssd to work just as well for $125

https://www.amazon.ca/WD_Black-SN750-In ... B095HB3L6G

To be on the "safe side" for future games then id get any cheap gen 4 but i think its unnecessary.
Last edited by Zarkey on Jan 23rd, 2022 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37128 upvotes
Zarkey wrote: Bad deal for a PS5 storage "upgrade" since a gen 3.5 (gen 4 controller) ssd to work just as well for $125

https://www.amazon.ca/WD_Black-SN750-In ... B095HB3L6G

This is bad reasoning, as the 5500mb/s read floor was set for current and future PS5 games in mind. Current games haven't necessarily fully tapped that potential.
Aug 23, 2019
668 posts
519 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: This is bad reasoning, as the 5500mb/s read floor was set for current and future PS5 games in mind. Current games haven't necessarily fully tapped that potential.
Yea that is possible BUT i think Sony will have to open their exclusives up for other platforms as it is going to be feeling pressure from MS who's been on a shopping spree. So when games/software are made for multiple platforms then they have to be more accommodating. Either way i think these super ssd demanding games are few years away. I predict that by next year most "regular" gen 4 ssd's will be much cheaper.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
3127 posts
2182 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: And there's the rub...

Same company that nerfed previous products and got called out for it all over the internet. No thanks

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata ... ping-parts

That's partially why I went with the Samsung, but I would also trust a WD over Adata and their shady practices. Why not wait for a FattyDove or similar low end Chinese brand to start cranking out M2 Gen4 drives, those will be even cheaper than Adata and also use hyped specs and a "components lottery" system.
For someone believing to be fairly knowledgeable in SSDs, you might have missed this article which contradicts your statement completely... same author and same website:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsu ... -parts-too

If you are going to start speaking of a companies shady practice, you might want to mention that the practice of swapping components is not only common in SSDs, but every facet of manufacture worldwide. They all have the option. All but one I know of have done it at some time or another.
2372 upvotes
Ottawa
BernardRyder wrote: And there's the rub...

Same company that nerfed previous products and got called out for it all over the internet. No thanks

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/adata ... ping-parts

That's partially why I went with the Samsung, but I would also trust a WD over Adata and their shady practices. Why not wait for a FattyDove or similar low end Chinese brand to start cranking out M2 Gen4 drives, those will be even cheaper than Adata and also use hyped specs and a "components lottery" system.
No wonder the 2 ADATA m.2 ssd's I got for my chromebook sucked. The first started to fail after 6 months. the 2nd I got from RMA started to fail within a couple of months. I gave up and got a Chinese KingDian, or was it KingSpeed. It is marginally slower in speed tests, but I can't tell the difference in usage, It has been working for the past 4 or 5 years and it came in at a cheaper price. I didn't think it would last as long, but its been great. (of course now that I've boasted about it, the ssd is going to fail in the very near future)

I thought ADATA would be ok, since they are sold in some computer stores here like Canada Computers, but I stay away now.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8438 upvotes
GTA
redflagdealsguy wrote:
That answers my question.
And your evasion answers mine
flamenko wrote: For someone believing to be fairly knowledgeable in SSDs, you might have missed this article which contradicts your statement completely... same author and same website:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/samsu ... -parts-too

If you are going to start speaking of a companies shady practice, you might want to mention that the practice of swapping components is not only common in SSDs, but every facet of manufacture worldwide. They all have the option. All but one I know of have done it at some time or another.
Quote me on this claim to knowledge? I do know some things about SSD's but am not professing to be an expert anywhere. In any case, thanks for the article, which just proves my point about Adata Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

The article makes clear Samsung was reacting to pandemic slowdowns with the swap AND updated the literature of the SSD to reflect this. Was it on par with performance of the original? No, but the original had been out since early 2019 at least, compare that to late 2019 for the Adata linked in my article and the discovery of performance issues in early 2020. Even then they found the performance of the Samsung to still be OK, but admittedly not the same as the original. And while all PC component companies swap parts out for various reasons over the life cycle of a product, Adata's is not on par with what Samsung (or most other manufacturers) did in time period, disclosure, or performance.

But you should have gotten a clue there is a difference between the two situations just from your linked article's lead:
Component swap done right
Thumbs Up Sign
c'mon get happy!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37128 upvotes
jetertmac wrote: The 2TB WD drive without heatsink is on sale on Amazon

WD_BLACK 2TB SN850 NVMe Internal Gaming SSD Solid State Drive - Gen4 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND, Up to 7,000 MB/s - WDS200T1X0E https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08KFRFL8F/ref ... UTF8&psc=1
Only an arm and two legs, I'm in.

The S70 is a no brainer this early in the life cycle, Sabrent is a close second in the 1TB model.

The S70 appears to be a pretty good deal at both 1TB and 2TB.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
3127 posts
2182 upvotes
BernardRyder wrote: And your evasion answers mine

Quote me on this claim to knowledge? I do know some things about SSD's but am not professing to be an expert anywhere. In any case, thanks for the article, which just proves my point about Adata Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

The article makes clear Samsung was reacting to pandemic slowdowns with the swap AND updated the literature of the SSD to reflect this. Was it on par with performance of the original? No, but the original had been out since early 2019 at least, compare that to late 2019 for the Adata linked in my article and the discovery of performance issues in early 2020. Even then they found the performance of the Samsung to still be OK, but admittedly not the same as the original. And while all PC component companies swap parts out for various reasons over the life cycle of a product, Adata's is not on par with what Samsung (or most other manufacturers) did in time period, disclosure, or performance.

But you should have gotten a clue there is a difference between the two situations just from your linked article's lead:

Thumbs Up Sign
No. The fact is that you were trolling ADATA while then noting that you went with Samsung and failing to even mention that they swap components as well. I wondered why you didn't troll Samsung as well, which is why I linked the article.
1400 upvotes
North York
I bought 2TB Samsung for 360 just recently from Amazon and a generic heatsink for 17.99
Deal Fanatic
Jun 16, 2009
7363 posts
8438 upvotes
GTA
flamenko wrote: No. The fact is that you were trolling ADATA while then noting that you went with Samsung and failing to even mention that they swap components as well. I wondered why you didn't troll Samsung as well, which is why I linked the article.
Not saying Adata is as great as Samsung and WD is trolling in your opinion? And how was my response a troll? Posting articles here that don't support Adata, and have been discussed in other subforums within RFD, is now trolling them?
Let me remind you the OP shared a deal on a non-Adata product, so it's not like I'm scouring the forum to crap on Adata deals. If anything, maybe I should accuse you and the Adata sharer of trolling WD?

I think we found an Adata employee here...
c'mon get happy!
Feb 1, 2013
733 posts
825 upvotes
2 years away from PS5 Pro. Save your money and just put it towards your trade. New console with a bigger hard drive, new controller, new warranty. Lol
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
3127 posts
2182 upvotes
ADATA Employee since 2006 on RFD? I don't think so. If you don't understand trolling, it is when you choose to demean one company with statements such as this, "That's partially why I went with the Samsung, but I would also trust a WD over Adata and their shady practices." while at the same time forgetting to mention that every company (except Intel actually) has the same swapping practice to include Samsung. My guess from your posts is you are great at reading but really haven't had the drives in hand, but for your Samsung. Gotta love guys like that. "But I read this and this and this" so you must know what you are saying...
543 upvotes
Toronto
Samsung 980 Pro with built in Heat sink on sale Amazon $239.99
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2012
1062 posts
543 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: Only an arm and two legs, I'm in.

The S70 is a no brainer this early in the life cycle, Sabrent is a close second in the 1TB model.

The S70 appears to be a pretty good deal at both 1TB and 2TB.
I had 6121MB/S with 1tb XPG S70 ($159.99) + Sabrent Heatsink ($25).

I saw the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus and upgraded since it was on sale for $178.99. After installing, it only had 5814 MB/S as it required a firmware update (I don't have external enclosure and am on Mac).

In the end, I may just go with a WD SN850 850gb with heatsink for $169.99 as I really don't even really need additional storage.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27157 posts
37128 upvotes
oakley0023 wrote: I had 6121MB/S with 1tb XPG S70 ($159.99) + Sabrent Heatsink ($25).

I saw the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus and upgraded since it was on sale for $178.99. After installing, it only had 5814 MB/S as it required a firmware update (I don't have external enclosure and am on Mac).

In the end, I may just go with a WD SN850 850gb with heatsink for $169.99 as I really don't even really need additional storage.
Read or write?

Seems like a waste, the S70 looks like the best value right now, and you're losing 500GB by going to the half terabyte model in the SN850.

As I said, all the review models, from very recent reviews, all perform robustly. The S70 has not been nerfed. Ask me again in 2023 and maybe that will have changed, but not for now.

Nearly top tier performance with aggressive pricing. No brainer for now.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 19, 2010
7409 posts
6686 upvotes
Toronto
s1gfromwpg wrote: 2 years away from PS5 Pro. Save your money and just put it towards your trade. New console with a bigger hard drive, new controller, new warranty. Lol
I bought a 1TB instead of 2TB for this reason exactly...if they upgrade the internal to 1TB or maybe 2TB for the pro version, then I'll be set.
Koodo Mobile

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)