[Amazon.ca] WD_Black SN750 1TB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD $179.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2020 7:26 pm
Tags:
Sep 16, 2011
229 posts
195 upvotes
Lethbridge
NirajP wrote: Primarily for gaming, I don't know how ssd behave during extended gameplay, does it involve constant reading/writing? Specific to high file size games like COD WWII or RDR2
Jep4444 wrote:
The only time games write to an SSD is at installation and when you are saving your data (this includes auto-save). Games primarily read from the SSD and dump the data into RAM. Most of the things you do when gaming will be written to RAM, not to storage.

It doesn't sound like your workload is at all dependent on quality of SSD. You'd be hard pressed to notice the difference between a low end SSD and an SN750 unless you sat there actually timing things, and even less so for the SX8200 Pro vs SN750. The only 2TB SSDs I see cheaper ATM are either SATA (Adata SU800 at $260 being by far the best deal if you're just using it as a game drive) but if you want to go NVMe or even just m.2, the only one substantially cheaper is the Adata SX8100 and I do NOT recommend that drive as it's prone to running hot and overheating. There are a few other drives close to in price(ie SATA m.2 WD Blue or sata Crucual MX500), none are worth saving a few bucks for.
I installed the XPG SX8200 last night after deciding to keep it when I saw this deal for the SN750. I recently RMA'd a 1TB HP NVME so I was using my 500GB SATA Samsung EVO force for a few days. I couldn't tell the difference between the SX8200 and SATA EVO for gaming. I didn't see any reason to exchange it for the SN750, except for maybe the differences in warranty service quality but I've read both ADATA and WD are pretty decent for that, and both have a 5 year warranty.
Last edited by seriosbrad on Jun 30th, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4472 posts
2307 upvotes
Toronto
BertL67369 wrote: Not for an Console, take a look of the newest External SSD, it boost Ps4 and Xbox. Newest USB 3.2 Gen 2x2,
https://shop.westerndigital.com/product ... 00ABK-WESN
The PS4 and XB1 can't even interface with that drive above USB 3.1 gen 1 speeds, which is much slower than the speed of that drive. It's also well established that the way the PS4 and XB1 work, while they do benefit from SSDs, they don't benefit as much as one would like.

Also, this drive is slower than NVMe SSDs because those interface directly with PCIe, which is faster than USB 3.2 gen 2x2. I suspect what you're looking at is just an SN750 shove into an external enclosure that is slower than Thunderbolt and runs on an interface that is uncommon in current laptops.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4472 posts
2307 upvotes
Toronto
seriosbrad wrote: I installed the XPG SX8200 last night after deciding to keep it when I saw this deal for the SN750. I recently RMA'd a 1TB HP NVME so I was using my 500GB SATA Samsung EVO force for a few days. I couldn't tell the difference between the SX8200 and SATA EVO for gaming. I didn't see any reason to exchange it for the SN750, except for maybe the differences in warranty service quality but I've read both ADATA and WD are pretty decent for that, and both have a 5 year warranty.
Ya, most users won't actually notice a difference 99% of the time. I do notice my computer boots a little faster and Chrome opens a little quicker since moving from a SATA SSD (Evo 850) to NVMe SSD (Silicon Power P34A80, somewhat comparable to the SX8200 Pro, probably a little better) but nothing world changing. I also "downgraded" to a WD Blue SN520 (OEM version of the SN500) and still didn't notice a difference (I put the P34A80 in my laptop cause I wanted the extra storage space in there since it's 1TB and my laptop came with a 256GB, my laptop also feels no quicker since the change).
Nov 24, 2018
71 posts
31 upvotes
Montreal, Quebec
Jep4444 wrote: The PS4 and XB1 can't even interface with that drive above USB 3.1 gen 1 speeds, which is much slower than the speed of that drive. It's also well established that the way the PS4 and XB1 work, while they do benefit from SSDs, they don't benefit as much as one would like.

Also, this drive is slower than NVMe SSDs because those interface directly with PCIe, which is faster than USB 3.2 gen 2x2. I suspect what you're looking at is just an SN750 shove into an external enclosure that is slower than Thunderbolt and runs on an interface that is uncommon in current laptops.
Yes, basically I would benefit the SSD speed greatly help and the USB interface is better value than firewire
Alternatively, the WD black p10 HDD 4TB is great choice for console. But SSD would definitely be helpful for upgrading a console
===========
Zoomer 22.5$ unlimited calls/ text + Fido 5$ 4GB; Dual sim P30 Lite.
On Waitlist for QC coverage for Freedom mobile 99$/yr.
Nov 10, 2003
659 posts
232 upvotes
BC, Canada
Don't support Western Digital.
They lie about their hard drives and do bait and switch with specs!
Jul 23, 2006
444 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
I have sn750 500g, its temperature is hot, you should consider heatsink,
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2011
1118 posts
700 upvotes
Is this better or worse than the Sabrent Rocket?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4472 posts
2307 upvotes
Toronto
FreedomG20 wrote: Is this better or worse than the Sabrent Rocket?
Better but like similar talks about the SX8200 Pro, if your demands aren't write intensive, you probably won't notice much of a difference. Price is about the same so may as well get the better drive but it's not a big deal.
Aug 23, 2019
331 posts
217 upvotes
BertL67369 wrote: Not for an Console, take a look of the newest External SSD, it boost Ps4 and Xbox. Newest USB 3.2 Gen 2x2,
https://shop.westerndigital.com/product ... 00ABK-WESN
This is clever advertisement or most of it and i'm not even an ssd expert. the new USB 3.2 "Superspeed" has bandwidth of 20GB/s max, while the SSD is 2GB/s (both ways?) either way it's not hitting that that superspeed capacity. Even then it doesn't mean that you'll actually see significant difference in real world applications/games.

for regular gaming SATA is good enough, maybe get a regular PCie/nvme if someone looking at a workstation/high productivity stuff.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2006
1228 posts
134 upvotes
Zarkey wrote: This is clever advertisement or most of it and i'm not even an ssd expert. the new USB 3.2 "Superspeed" has bandwidth of 20GB/s max, while the SSD is 2GB/s (both ways?) either way it's not hitting that that superspeed capacity. Even then it doesn't mean that you'll actually see significant difference in real world applications/games.

for regular gaming SATA is good enough, maybe get a regular PCie/nvme if someone looking at a workstation/high productivity stuff.
So if I'm just a regular/average user of games/productivity apps, will I notice any difference in getting this cheaper Crucial P1 SSD for $146 instead: https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-1TB-NAND- ... 840&sr=8-3
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4472 posts
2307 upvotes
Toronto
enigma54 wrote: So if I'm just a regular/average user of games/productivity apps, will I notice any difference in getting this cheaper Crucial P1 SSD for $146 instead: https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-1TB-NAND- ... 840&sr=8-3
As long as you aren't doing write intensive tasks(which games don't fall under, but productivity tasks might), you won't notice a difference unless you've got the machines side by side. That said, I'd recommend the Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB (there is no tax on that so unless you're in Alberta, price will be about the same) over the P1 thanks to it's more powerful controller. Both are still QLC drives but unless you're gonna drop $20-30 more, it should be fine as long as you aren't doing heavy writes to the the drive on a regular basis.
Jul 23, 2006
444 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
Jep4444 wrote: Better but like similar talks about the SX8200 Pro, if your demands aren't write intensive, you probably won't notice much of a difference. Price is about the same so may as well get the better drive but it's not a big deal.
Sabrent has e12 controller, I think better than sn750 controller,
Aug 23, 2019
331 posts
217 upvotes
enigma54 wrote: So if I'm just a regular/average user of games/productivity apps, will I notice any difference in getting this cheaper Crucial P1 SSD for $146 instead: https://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-1TB-NAND- ... 840&sr=8-3
One thing to remember is TLC drives are better than QLC (this drive) in many ways like speeds, durability etc but im not sure by how much. For OS/main drive people usually recommend TLC because they can keep their speeds better once over 80% capacity. If you're going to fill that thing up quick then expect lower performance like older SSDs, durability shouldnt be an issue for low usage.

(Edit: ignore then Q model)
decent TLC https://www.amazon.ca/Silicon-Power-Gen ... B07L6GF81L

(i'm not an SSD expert but this is what i've read from others and general reviews)
Last edited by Zarkey on Jun 30th, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4472 posts
2307 upvotes
Toronto
googlebot wrote: Sabrent has e12 controller, I think better than sn750 controller,
Nah the WD controller is better, the SN750 can sustain write speeds of roughly 1.5GB/s through the life of it's write cycle. The E12 is closer to 1GB/s. The only TLC SSD to do better than the SN750 was the 970 Evo Plus. The Sabrent also now uses the E12s, which is technically as powerful as the E12 but does run a bit hotter so thermal throttling is a bit easier to achieve.