• Last Updated:
  • Jul 1st, 2020 7:26 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2044 posts
662 upvotes
lightmeup wrote: dont be so sure....

hard drive era was either work or they dont.
SSD era, is not likethat anymore. the good brand like samsung, intel are good enough to not have the bluescreen issue, but Intel had 8MB bug, crucial had the 4000 hours bug, crucial m4 had BSOD, samsung 840 had some bugs too, the list goes on.

ok, here is a link: https://www.theverge.com/2012/1/17/2713 ... rring-bsod
lol, load of crap too? PERIOD?
No. I am sure and have studied and spoken to manufacturers in depth about all of what you just mentioned. I am speaking of today's SSDs... not 2012 as the article you quoted. Hard drives still go corrupt a bit at a time and then eventually die. It is because data is stored contiguously unlike a SSD where the data is always moved through TRIM and wear leveling... Oh by the way, the crucial M4 you spoke of was released in 2013and still have one of Amazons highest SSD consumer ratings after thousands of reviews.

But let's face it, every product known to man is bound to have a certain failure rate. It is simply a fact that SSDs are much lower than HDDs and last much longer.
[OP]
Jul 21, 2011
688 posts
545 upvotes
Knowhere
flamenko wrote: No. I am sure and have studied and spoken to manufacturers in depth about all of what you just mentioned. I am speaking of today's SSDs... not 2012 as the article you quoted. Hard drives still go corrupt a bit at a time and then eventually die. It is because data is stored contiguously unlike a SSD where the data is always moved through TRIM and wear leveling... Oh by the way, the crucial M4 you spoke of was released in 2013and still have one of Amazons highest SSD consumer ratings after thousands of reviews.

But let's face it, every product known to man is bound to have a certain failure rate. It is simply a fact that SSDs are much lower than HDDs and last much longer.
Man, you have the best ssd, the top of line Intel and Samsung. These never have stupid issues like I had with adata. Before I bought the adata, I thought the same thing, it was 2019, who the heck still have firmware issues! Guess what, adata still has shitty firmware!

Dude, Let me know when u have 960 2t again!
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
2044 posts
662 upvotes
I have 960 512... a few of them but the 2TB drives I can always use right now. Sorry. I xant speak to your personal situation with ADATA... but it is a rarity in the industry these days. It comes down to the HDD/SSD comparison and what is the best product for the consumer...

Have a good one and if I come across anything i will let you know.
Dec 14, 2003
582 posts
72 upvotes
I think this is a good deal. Tempted but... I'll resist.

Why is there such a big $ jump going to 2TB... and also the heatsink version should be 10$ more, not 70$!
Mar 24, 2017
41 posts
15 upvotes
I got this drive for about 200$ a few months ago for my gaming rig and I'm very happy with it. It's been very fast and reliable for the time that I've used it.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
40810 posts
6273 upvotes
djemzine wrote: Will this be good to use with an external enclosure with heat sink? Looking to pick one up for forensics usage. Thx.
Anyone?
Proud to be an Indian.
4472 posts
2307 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: Anyone?
I like how you quoted yourself Face With Tears Of Joy.

Anwyays, I don't know what forensic usage requires but I can give my general knowledge of external enclosures. There are generally two types of enclosures for NVMe drives, USB and Thunderbolt. Most USB ones are capped at 1GB/s (some newer ones are faster but you need the right hardware to interface with the newer USB ports), this drive is more than overkill for such an enclosure. Thunderbolt enclosures can handle this drive fine but it's gonna cost you about as much as the drive costs alone.

If you're gonna go the the USB route, You can certainly get a cheaper drive, even SATA though that would be a bit slower (though cheaper, especially the enclosures, this is also true for m.2 sata which would be the same size as a drive like this). What drive and speed to be recommended would really depend on how much data you write on a typical day.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
40810 posts
6273 upvotes
Jep4444 wrote: I like how you quoted yourself Face With Tears Of Joy.

Anwyays, I don't know what forensic usage requires but I can give my general knowledge of external enclosures. There are generally two types of enclosures for NVMe drives, USB and Thunderbolt. Most USB ones are capped at 1GB/s (some newer ones are faster but you need the right hardware to interface with the newer USB ports), this drive is more than overkill for such an enclosure. Thunderbolt enclosures can handle this drive fine but it's gonna cost you about as much as the drive costs alone.

If you're gonna go the the USB route, You can certainly get a cheaper drive, even SATA though that would be a bit slower (though cheaper, especially the enclosures, this is also true for m.2 sata which would be the same size as a drive like this). What drive and speed to be recommended would really depend on how much data you write on a typical day.
Thanks.

Well Digital forensics work in cyber security. So I would need good read and write speeds. Mostly read speeds.

I’ll be using USB 3.0 on my desktop and USB C port on my T480. I think the USB C is a thunderbolt port.
Proud to be an Indian.
24258 posts
2996 upvotes
Montreal
djemzine wrote: Will this be good to use with an external enclosure with heat sink? Looking to pick one up for forensics usage. Thx.
Are there external Pci-e enclosures?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4472 posts
2307 upvotes
Toronto
djemzine wrote: Thanks.

Well Digital forensics work in cyber security. So I would need good read and write speeds. Mostly read speeds.

I’ll be using USB 3.0 on my desktop and USB C port on my T480. I think the USB C is a thunderbolt port.
So then it's up to you if the extra speed afford by Thunderbolt is worth the additional cost of a Thunderbolt enclosure, knowing that the desktop can't even really benefit from it. If you opt to go with a cheaper enclosure, get a cheaper drive since you won't be able to max it out anyways. If you do spring for Thunderbolt, yes you could do better than this for speed but it'll cost you a lot more for fairly small gains.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4243 posts
2192 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
I like that it's GAAAMMIIINNNGGGGGG!!!!BombRegional Indicator Symbol Letters Um🦅High Voltage Sign
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2013
4472 posts
2307 upvotes
Toronto
mr_raider wrote: Are there external Pci-e enclosures?
Thunderbolt 3 connects directly to the PCIe bus so a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure would technically be a PCIe 3 enclosure.