Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Weiser Premis Smartlock - $158 (regular $250)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 18th, 2019 6:20 pm
[OP]
Apr 9, 2007
39 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon Canada] Weiser Premis Smartlock - $158 (regular $250)

After realizing the August Smartlock I bought won't fit my door I found this one on sale at Amazon. Seems a good price:

https://www.amazon.ca/Weiser-Touchscree ... 268&sr=8-2

You need an iPhone/Apple Homekit to use most features, but it also includes a touchscreen keypad if you don't. Does anyone have any experience with this one?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2018
1909 posts
1282 upvotes
Kitchener
Reviews don’t look the greatest
Gaming PC: i5 9400f, GTX 1070 8gb x2, 32GB RAM
Media PC: i5 6500, GTX 1060 6gb, 16GB RAM
Phone: iPhone 8
Oct 12, 2015
225 posts
162 upvotes
Ottawa
NowJoJo wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 1:23 pm
Reviews don’t look the greatest
My thoughts exactly.

Tempting price but a front door lock is not something I take lightly, especially when it comes to faceplate scratches, short battery life, and most importantly terrible customer service.
Nov 23, 2011
381 posts
291 upvotes
West GTA
springbreak wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 1:18 pm
After realizing the August Smartlock I bought won't fit my door I found this one on sale at Amazon.
Thats a shame the August won't work for you, I have one and couldn't live without it now, it is awesome!
Mar 11, 2004
35 posts
2 upvotes
Ottawa
I have a similar model...
It works great as a keypad lock 95% of the time.
Sometimes screen doesn't react properly or whatever.

If you are looking for more of a smart home integration, it is very very limited. its good to...
it can basically just tell me if it is locked. I can lock it remotely if it isn't....
Jan 22, 2019
174 posts
136 upvotes
Stick to regular pressured buttons (Schlage Connect for example) instead of touch screen. It doesn't function well in the winter. I switched from this to Schlage Connect. I also didn't have great experience with August locks either. If I'm out for a run, I prefer to leave my phone and keys at home.
Apr 11, 2003
639 posts
115 upvotes
Edmonton
Works well enough, we have 3 of them. Extreme cold it's not super responsive. We seldom use the touch pad though, mostly the app on our phones from the car or the driveway. Batteries last a few months, if I recall. We just pop the screw, swap the rechargables, and go about our day. It's 'seasonal maintenance'.
Jul 28, 2014
13 posts
8 upvotes
ChuJai wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 1:43 pm
it can basically just tell me if it is locked. I can lock it remotely if it isn't....
Is this true? The website says there's HomeKit integration and the image suggest they have remote lock/unlock functionality.
https://www.weiserlock.com/en/premis
Dec 23, 2010
161 posts
168 upvotes
Toronto
I have this lock for 2 years now. Working great. Yes touchscreen is ...touchy at times, but I rarely use it.

I use Costco batteries in it, lasts about 4 months before it starts to complain.

One thing to note is adjust your door so that the deadbolt is free to move and doesn’t catch on anything, this will improve battery life.

You can set different passcodes for different people and the can be limited by: anytime access, date/time range, day/time of week, or once in the next 24 hours.

Yes the app is old, but functions without issue. Works remotely when paired with HomeKit.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1916 posts
443 upvotes
I recommend the Yale Assure locks if you need native homekit support. I've had mine for a few years now and battery life is ~1.5-2 years. I picked mine up with homekit module for ~$160 a while back.
Nov 23, 2017
114 posts
49 upvotes
I ended up getting a Schlage encode. Have yet to install but the reviews looked more favorable.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
19006 posts
5906 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
Nobody else read the product name wrong at the first glance?

I have Nest x Yale and other Yale Assure locks. I think Yale is the way to go personally.
Sep 11, 2008
455 posts
222 upvotes
Quebec
BinaryJay wrote:
Sep 17th, 2019 2:56 pm
Nobody else read the product name wrong at the first glance?

I have Nest x Yale and other Yale Assure locks. I think Yale is the way to go personally.
Not at first glance. After I read your post tho.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
2093 posts
781 upvotes
Quebec
Kinda suck that it's only go with homekit
Jan 12, 2005
526 posts
92 upvotes
Calgary
from my personal experience, i would not recommend this touchscreen. i've had it for 14 months and cannot take the inconvenience of it any more.
using bluetooth via iphone app to lock/unlock is decent experience.
using the touchscreen however is horrid. most of the time you are waiting for the screen to wake up or something as it will not register your finger presses. very frustrating.
i do like how it tracks all activities as that was one of the main reasons for buying it. the unresponsive touchscreen was however too high of a cost to pay!

i have replaced it with a Weiser SmartCode 10 Electronic Deadbolt which works as advertised. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B073WW ... UTF8&psc=1