Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Wemo Mini Smart Plug 3-Pack, WiFi Enabled, Works Amazon Alexa The Google Assistant | 26% Off | $73.90

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 3rd, 2020 6:42 pm
[OP]
Jun 10, 2004
562 posts
1077 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Wemo Mini Smart Plug 3-Pack, WiFi Enabled, Works Amazon Alexa The Google Assistant | 26% Off | $73.90

518ouYI-BGL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
  • Plug in a Wemo Mini Smart Plug, download the free app, and control your lights and appliances from anywhere, even using your voice through Amazon Alexa and Google assistant. Only needs Wi-Fi
  • Compact size; Wemo Mini features a sleek new form-factor that allows you to stack two Mini Smart Plugs in the same outlet
  • Schedule automatically, Never come home to a dark house; Schedule the fan to turn on before you arrive; Sync lamps and devices to sunrise, sunset, or pre-set times automatically
  • Randomize Lights. The Mini Smart Plug protects your home better than a mechanical timer; “Away Mode” will turn your lights on and off randomly to make it look like you’re home even when you’re not
  • Voice control with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant; Pair with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant built-in devices like Google Home and control your lights and appliances with your voice

-Callahan-

PRICE DROP June 8th

Lowest Recorded Price EVER on CCC!

Annotation.jpg
Last edited by harold_callahan on Jun 8th, 2020 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
25 replies
Jul 18, 2015
180 posts
201 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Single wemo mini smart plugs are $24.99, buying three seperate ones totals to $74.97.

Link to 1 plug
Jul 11, 2009
545 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
What's the diff between these and the ones at costco which are 2 units for $ 20?
Last edited by JimU on Jun 3rd, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 30, 2008
604 posts
152 upvotes
Vancouver
Nothing against weMo. I have their switches and the work well, but, aren't these extremely overpriced? I have a dozen Chinese plugs, geekbes and cesmart, that work great with alexa, etc. They were all less than $10 a piece. Just picked up a pair last week from Costco, that include energy monitoring, for $20. What makes these things worth over $20 each? Not trying to be a troll, just curious.
Jul 11, 2009
545 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
madmox wrote: Not trying to be a troll, just curious.
me too.
Feb 17, 2019
22 posts
110 upvotes
Montreal
JimU wrote: What's the diff between these and the ones at costco which are 2 units for $ 20?
I've had these from a variety of companies, and I think it's safe to say the only difference Is that you pay a huge premium on WeMo for a recognizable brand.
If you have to ask if I'm being sarcastic, I am.
Jul 18, 2015
180 posts
201 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
JimU wrote: me too.
I'm certain you won't get many responses because there isn't much evidence based information people can provide.
Here are the facts:

The most important component of iot devices is the software. That is essentially what you are paying for.

Wemo itself is based in the US. Wemo is a subsidiary of Belkin (HQ in California), but Belkin is a subsidiary of Foxconn (company most notable for manufacturing iphones).
With most of the other cheap iot devices, the software is chinese.
TP link is pretty well known and not cheap, but it is also a chinese company with an app developed in china.

Please note I am just stating the facts, I am not telling you what is better or worse.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2007
1196 posts
180 upvotes
Toronto
JimU wrote: What's the diff between these and the ones at costco which are 2 units for $ 20?
I have these from Costco, as well as the light switches. They perform better than the Leviton ones I have as my Leviton often lose connections!

Also I prefer to keep my products within one brand so I don’t have too many random apps.
Sep 7, 2002
853 posts
209 upvotes
Do those costco ones work with alexa/google? I'm looking to get my first wifi smart plugs, but want something that isn't tied to a 3rd party that when they shut down, take down some/all functionality with it
Dec 24, 2013
94 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
In case anyone is wondering ~90% of off-brand "chinese" smart iot devices are produced by Tuya.
i.e you can use a smart device made by Globe, CE Smart Home, Moko, Gosund to name a few all with the Tuya Smart app.

The easiest way I have found to tell if it's a "Tuya" product is compare screenshots of the "rebadged" app to the official Tuya Smart app.
Aug 11, 2012
178 posts
149 upvotes
Halifax
Besides controlling the Christmas tree power during the holiday season, I cannot find any other efficient use. Maybe because I have smart switches, bulbs, clocks, etc. already. What do you guys use the smart plugs for?
Dec 24, 2013
94 posts
97 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
strife wrote: Do those costco ones work with alexa/google? I'm looking to get my first wifi smart plugs, but want something that isn't tied to a 3rd party that when they shut down, take down some/all functionality with it
Yes they work great with Alexa, these are licensed by Tuya who is a very big IOT company who produces 90% of these offbrand. They aren't going away anytime soon.
Aug 5, 2019
71 posts
64 upvotes
insinaty wrote: Besides controlling the Christmas tree power during the holiday season, I cannot find any other efficient use. Maybe because I have smart switches, bulbs, clocks, etc. already. What do you guys use the smart plugs for?
Lamps
Fan
Coffee maker
Phone charger (built in timer to prevent overecharging / save battery)
Watch charger (built in timer to prevent overecharging / save battery)
Dumb LEDs under my kitchen Cabinet
To name a few...
Nov 1, 2006
26 posts
42 upvotes
Barrie
insinaty wrote: Besides controlling the Christmas tree power during the holiday season, I cannot find any other efficient use. Maybe because I have smart switches, bulbs, clocks, etc. already. What do you guys use the smart plugs for?
I have an air purifier in the bedroom that is rather noisy and makes sleeping difficult. Rather than turning it on-and-off (and inevitably forgetting to turn it back on), I have it always on, but plugged into a Wemo switch.

We also used to have one that the basement TV was plugged into because it was mounted and we lost the remote. the kids just had to say "OK Google, turn on the downstairs TV".

Other than that, I've had a tough time justifying buying more. The one we plugged the Christmas tree into is still in the living room with nothing plugged into it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)