Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Western Digital 14TB Ultrastar SATA HDD $579.99

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2020 10:14 am
26 replies
Newbie
Aug 27, 2009
98 posts
27 upvotes
Markham
Thanks, never had an Ultrastar HDD, is it better than green drive for lifespan and for torrent? other than price is on the higher end, is there any downside to it?

sorry for the newbie question, don't know much about HDD
Newbie
Aug 27, 2009
98 posts
27 upvotes
Markham
FYI Canada computers has it for $499
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 20, 2006
2529 posts
2814 upvotes
My benchmark for any hard drive purchase would only be $18-20 or lower per TB.
Banned
Feb 6, 2017
2176 posts
1259 upvotes
In for 4, j/k. Imagine having 56TB NAS lol.
Member
User avatar
Dec 2, 2016
373 posts
434 upvotes
I thought I was ballin with my 2tb . What are y'all doing with these 14tb drives? Media servers?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 12, 2014
701 posts
1561 upvotes
vancouver
HN12345 wrote: In for 4, j/k. Imagine having 56TB NAS lol.
or a 6 hard drive 84tb desktop pc
you could have a 100 000 games on there and still have space for media and stuff.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2011
1128 posts
1157 upvotes
Knowhere
Movie collection, the tv shows, the music, the family backups, photo/kids videos, study backup, work backup...... list goes on.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Apr 10, 2011
8942 posts
16097 upvotes
Montreal
muppetslayer wrote: (...) I'm not an expert in hard drives so don't downvote me. Seems to be reasonable for $41.43 per TB.
OP, people don't downvote YOU, they downvote the deal. :)
It's not a Hot deal at > $40/TB.
Member
Feb 11, 2019
398 posts
438 upvotes
ON
Obligatory ‘I hear it might be shingled’
Jr. Member
Nov 7, 2017
189 posts
457 upvotes
Montreal
AllanT232 wrote: or a 6 hard drive 84tb desktop pc
you could have a 100 000 games on there and still have space for media and stuff.

I have a 120TB desktop PC and with the size of games these days, I doubt you can even have 1000.

For 100k, you will need to find many old DOS games to fill it up Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 12, 2014
701 posts
1561 upvotes
vancouver
v3dg666 wrote: I have a 120TB desktop PC and with the size of games these days, I doubt you can even have 1000.

For 100k, you will need to find many old DOS games to fill it up Smiling Face With Open Mouth
sure there are games that are 100gb but there are plenty of visual novel and indie games that take up very little just look at stardew valley or lego games.
stardew valley is 496mb
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19519 posts
2234 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
AllanT232 wrote: sure there are games that are 100gb but there are plenty of visual novel and indie games that take up very little just look at stardew valley or lego games.
stardew valley is 496mb
Visual novels?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Feb 12, 2014
701 posts
1561 upvotes
vancouver
Supercooled wrote: Visual novels?
like steins gate or danganronpa or zero escape
you know like those old school choose your own adventure books where you have choices at certain points.
or even games like telltale games but those are more cinematic.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
1177 posts
1246 upvotes
Richmond Hill
HN12345 wrote: In for 4, j/k. Imagine having 56TB NAS lol.
Just imagine having a catastrophic failure of the 56TB nas, how do you back up the back up
Newbie
User avatar
May 14, 2019
9 posts
6 upvotes
ON
sirxterminator wrote: Just imagine having a catastrophic failure of the 56TB nas, how do you back up the back up
With 2x 56TB NAS of course ;)
Newbie
Jul 7, 2017
63 posts
52 upvotes
sirxterminator wrote: Just imagine having a catastrophic failure of the 56TB nas, how do you back up the back up


I have a 132TB NAS. Personally I have 3 parity drives which protect against up to 3 simultaneous drive failures. Then I use a cloud backup service that backs up only my more vital data, about 7TB worth. But if it were all vital, I'd have a second identical NAS at a friend's house, my office, or another offsite location with good internet and just mirror the data. Or if I was made of money I'd mirror the data to one of the many (expensive) cloud storage providers.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)