Western Digital 6TB WD Red Plus NAS Hard Drive, CMR, WD60EFZX- $164.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 10:24 pm
[OP]
May 17, 2011
85 posts
86 upvotes
Montreal, QC

[Amazon.ca] Western Digital 6TB WD Red Plus NAS Hard Drive, CMR, WD60EFZX- $164.99

Hi folks,

I know the 4TB was on sale recently, but if you need the 6TB it's on sale on Amazon, NewEgg and MemoryExpress and direct with WD (no stock though). If buying multiple drives for a NAS, get them from diffrent suppliers to avoid getting drives from the same batch (just in case it was a bad batch)

Happy hunting
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
2669 posts
6129 upvotes
Ontario
I need some Red Plus drives for a new NAS I bought a couple months ago. I will give Newegg a try. Last time I bought a drive from Amazon, the bare drive came in one of those bubble wrap bags. Corner was literally dented.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2566 posts
1751 upvotes
I wanna create a backup for my 16TB FreeNAS server.
2 of these in raid0 would probably be enough to cover the bulk of the data.

What would be the best method? (outside of adding new drives to the existing freenas machine)
Sep 18, 2012
233 posts
281 upvotes
Quebec City
PerformingAzura wrote: I wanna create a backup for my 16TB FreeNAS server.
2 of these in raid0 would probably be enough to cover the bulk of the data.

What would be the best method? (outside of adding new drives to the existing freenas machine)
If you want to backup data, do not use raid0, if you lose a drive = you lose all data.

For 2 disks, use raid1. (you can loose a drive).
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
2669 posts
6129 upvotes
Ontario
li442il wrote: If you want to backup data, do not use raid0, if you lose a drive = you lose all data.

But they're trying backup a 16TB NAS using two x 6TB, saying they'd at least get most of the data. Using Raid 0 would only get them 6TB. Yes, I understand they would lose the redundancy.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
2566 posts
1751 upvotes
li442il wrote: If you want to backup data, do not use raid0, if you lose a drive = you lose all data.

Skilas wrote: But they're trying backup a 16TB NAS using two x 6TB, saying they'd at least get most of the data. Using Raid 0 would only get them 6TB. Yes, I understand they would lose the redundancy.
+1

The 16TB is a 3x8TB in raid5. I have snapshots enabled so no worries if I mistakenly delete something or get hit by ransom ware.

But I have nothing to protect myself if multiple drives died or something similar.

I supposed I could build another 3x8TB raid 5 but I'm trying to do this for as little money as possible :)

My current freenas server cost me 50$ and doubles as a NVR as well.
[OP]
May 17, 2011
85 posts
86 upvotes
Montreal, QC
PerformingAzura wrote: +1

The 16TB is a 3x8TB in raid5. I have snapshots enabled so no worries if I mistakenly delete something or get hit by ransom ware.

But I have nothing to protect myself if multiple drives died or something similar.

I supposed I could build another 3x8TB raid 5 but I'm trying to do this for as little money as possible :)

It depends on how robust of a backup plan you want... if money is the concern, for the cost of these 2x 6TB drives, you can buy an external 12-14TB external drive and have your NAS backed up on that... it's not ideal but it's cheap.

Personally, I have my NAS's critical data backing up to my brother's NAS (and vice versa) and also to Onedrive, I also have my less critical data backing up to a 2 drive Synology NAS that I got second hand (with new drives of course).

You have to pick and chose what strategy works for you and strickes a balance between cost and protection...
Oct 19, 2009
248 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
PerformingAzura wrote: ...
I would not assume that snapshots protect you from ransomware attacks. Snapshots occupy the same media (at least for some filesystems). I would assume the worst-case and take the view that my snapshots and my files are equally vulnerable. Offline storage is your safest bet if you need to recover from a ransomeware attack.
Apr 6, 2008
575 posts
555 upvotes
Toronto
PerformingAzura wrote: +1

Raid 0 (striping your data across 2 disks) only gives you faster write speed as you write half-stripes of data to each disk. But for a backup, all you have is time - people aren't usually waiting around for their backups to hurry up and finish. In Raid 0, if you lose 1 disk, you lose 100% of your backed up files, as you only have half-stripes of data on any disk. If it's a backup, I would think JBOD would work fine. If you lose 1 disk, you only lose 50% of your files, rather than 100%.