• Last Updated:
  • Sep 26th, 2020 9:13 am
[OP]
Banned
Sep 19, 2018
9 posts
18 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Wooden Spoons $13.98

Just picked these up since we needed some new spoons to replace our aging melamine which are starting to turn brown. Seems like a decent deal if they are of quality. We shall see.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07WY4 ... UTF8&psc=1
9 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1497 posts
936 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
Bought some to eat my bowl of porridge.
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
2501 posts
3242 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
ssjlancer wrote: Bought some to eat my bowl of porridge.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/food/ ... ults-chef/

OIL NO People are soaking their ‘clean’ wooden spoons in boiling water and the results are absolutely disgusting

Carly Bass

30 Jun 2020, 11:27Updated: 30 Jun 2020, 13:59

A WOODEN spoon is a staple item in everyone's kitchen - but how do you know when it's time to bin the one you have, and should you be using something else instead?

An Australian chef has suggested soaking your cooking utensil in boiling water to see how dirty they really are - and the results are disgusting.
The oil that comes out of the 'clean' spoon is disgusting
The oil that comes out of the 'clean' spoon is disgustingCredit: Facebook

Former MasterChef Australia judge, Matt Preston, came up with the "wooden spoon test" so home cooks can determine whether or not it's time to bin the cooking utensil.

The simple cleaning method involves leaving the spoons in a cup of boiling water for up to 20 minutes to see what oils are lurking inside the wood.

And it's safe to say many have been left completely shocked by just how dirty they are, despite some saying they clean it thoroughly every single day.

One woman took to Facebook to share her results after noticing a heavy layer of cooking oil appear on top of the water within minutes.
The water becomes cloudy in minutes
The water becomes cloudy in minutesCredit: Facebook

She said: "This one is going into the bin. A tip I learned from Matt Preston years ago. Does anyone soak their wooden spoons in boiling water?

"'Mine always go into the dishwasher every night but that doesn't stop what gets absorbed. Revolting really."

Shocked by the results, one person wrote: "Omg I’m going to go do this to my spoons right now."

But while some people were insistent that wooden spoons are the only way to go, others shared their new found distaste for the popular cooking utensil and vowed to make the switch to silicone.

"No wooden spoons or boards in my kitchen at all for this reason," one said.
Former MasterChef Australia judge, Matt Preston, came up with the wooden spoon test
Former MasterChef Australia judge, Matt Preston, came up with the wooden spoon testCredit: Getty Images

And another added: "I refuse to use or even own wooden spoons"

It seems chef Matt Preston agrees. Speaking about the "wooden spoon trick" to Delicious in 2016, he said: "On the surface a perfect present but stick an old one in a cup of boiling water to see what fate awaits all wooden spoons.

"Give it a sniff. Phew, stinky! And you were going to stir your custard with that!"

He added: "Ask for a $10 silicon spatula instead. They're hygienic, heat-resistant and flexible, so they are great for getting into the corner of a pan or getting every last skerrick out of a bowl."
People have been eager to see just how dirty their own spoons are
People have been eager to see just how dirty their own spoons areCredit: Facebook

Elsewhere, another woman asked: "Has anyone tried the 'Matt Preston' hack with their wooden spoons? Soak in a cup of boiling water... I do it every week," and shared a snap of her wooden spoon bathing in a pot of cloudy, murky water.

One person responded: "I find [wooden spoons] have a funky taste if they have been soaked in water so I just grab cheap ones often, chuck them out after a few uses or else the taste leaches into foods or they crack."

Meanwhile one user warned: "They are for not meant to go into dishwasher ... also I heard a chef giving a speech about wooden spoons he said highly unhygienic and also absorb a lot of smell.. silicon is a better option."

Next time you consider using your wooden spoon to cook up a storm, perhaps consider how dirty it could be - gross!
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
3548 posts
3149 upvotes
Muskoka
The “wooden spoon” was the weapon of choice for my mom when she threatened punishment
Public Mobile
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
44320 posts
4893 upvotes
Richmond Hill
So many things wrong about this article... wood should not go in the dishwasher whatsoever, and most people don’t season their wood that’s why it absorbs all sort of crap. If you season it regularly and use mostly warm water without soap, the protective layer will stick and none of your food will get absorbed into the wood.
Artisan woodworker crafting live edge tables, end grain cutting boards, and other home decor
Silver Coins | Philips Wake-Up Light with Radio | Heatware