Expired Hot Deals

Amazon.ca

Amazon.ca Wusthof 9851 Grand Prix II 8-Piece Knife Block Set $227.13 free shipping

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2012 8:57 am
Tags:
11 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
20984 posts
5561 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
So tempted. This as been as low as 199.99 on amazon.com.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5106 posts
519 upvotes
Nice .... velly nice.

Great set for those starting out. I'm tempted but i'd better not. Wife would kill me, lol. Don't need anymore cutlery.
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
----------------------------------------------------
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Jun 13, 2010
448 posts
61 upvotes
Thanks OP, and kudos for your first post!

I was able to PM with Futureshop.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2007
2068 posts
557 upvotes
Calgary
I bought this set for $199 last year. Knives are ok, but if I lost them, I doubt I would buy them again. Handles feel a little cheap. They also don't hold their sharpness as well as other knives I've used.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2006
2181 posts
280 upvotes
Montreal
I actually find these quite expensive for what they are. I saw these at a local kitchen store and other than the name, they're certainly not up to the standards of other Wusthof knives.
Jan 8, 2008
477 posts
148 upvotes
Are you sure it was Grand Prix II? Wusthof's bottom line is called "Silverpoint" and looks similar, but is nowhere near the quality of this.

The Grand Prix II line is basically the Classic series with textured plastic handles instead of riveted plastic scales on the handles. I've only tried the chef's knife and I've held the others. I really liked the balance of the knives, even more than the Classic. The compact block makes it fine for small counters. If you're starting out, want a matching set of knives, and better quality than the average KitchenAid/Paderno/Cuisinart/Henckels sets...this is a good buy.

Note that, if you don't mind getting fewer knives at once, for this price you can get more value from the Victorinox fibrox line (i.e. you can get a fantastic 10" chef's knife and 10.25" bread knife instead) or some Japanese knives from japanesechefsknife.com.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5106 posts
519 upvotes
SKYMTL wrote: I actually find these quite expensive for what they are. I saw these at a local kitchen store and other than the name, they're certainly not up to the standards of other Wusthof knives.
Are you sure you are comparing the right cutlery? These are the Grand Prix 2's ... Grand Prix 2's ... not a cheaper line. These are fine cutlery by any standards.

This set is ~ 260 bucks US at cutleryandmore ...

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/wusthof-g ... et-p120307

Knifecenter has it for 300 bucks US.

http://www2.knifecenter.com/item/WU8518 ... -Block-Set

So, this is a decent deal for sure.
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
If you haven't figured it out yet ... i'm not a female. Have you ever watched MADtv?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 26, 2003
5106 posts
519 upvotes
Rudee wrote: I bought this set for $199 last year. Knives are ok, but if I lost them, I doubt I would buy them again. Handles feel a little cheap. They also don't hold their sharpness as well as other knives I've used.
Curious, if the Grand Prix 2's are "okay" ... what is your reference point? You must be used to some high end cutlery.
He .... looka lika MAN!
I tell you every ting!
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
3055 posts
579 upvotes
In bed.
zenzen wrote: Are you sure it was Grand Prix II? Wusthof's bottom line is called "Silverpoint" and looks similar, but is nowhere near the quality of this.

The Grand Prix II line is basically the Classic series with textured plastic handles instead of riveted plastic scales on the handles. I've only tried the chef's knife and I've held the others. I really liked the balance of the knives, even more than the Classic. The compact block makes it fine for small counters. If you're starting out, want a matching set of knives, and better quality than the average KitchenAid/Paderno/Cuisinart/Henckels sets...this is a good buy.

Note that, if you don't mind getting fewer knives at once, for this price you can get more value from the Victorinox fibrox line (i.e. you can get a fantastic 10" chef's knife and 10.25" bread knife instead) or some Japanese knives from japanesechefsknife.com.
So the difference between those two lines is just the handles? Because currently there's about a $115 difference for 8 pieces of the classic line: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0000AI ... YIK6Y9EEQB
Mok122cobra wrote:
Gotta love Crappy Tire and their $1600 set of "Artiste" pots and pans. Is this some kind of joke?
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/canadia ... #p30113679

😂
Jun 13, 2010
448 posts
61 upvotes
lazy_prodigy wrote: So the difference between those two lines is just the handles? Because currently there's about a $115 difference for 8 pieces of the classic line: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0000AI ... YIK6Y9EEQB
The original MSRP difference (according to Amazon.ca) is only 40$ though.

Some info about the similar Wusthof lines :

The Classic, Grand Prix II and Culinar lines all have the exact same blades. That's right -- you'll get the exact same blade quality, sharpness and shape from all three lines. The difference is just in the handles. The Classic handles are really nice versions of the European-style handles everyone knows, except the fit and finish is superior to cheaper versions, and the material itself if nearly indestructible and won't fade, crack or warp like older standard wooden handles (it's a hard ABS plastic material). The Culinar handles have solid metal handles in a more unique "ergonomic" shape (similar to the Grand Prix II shape). These are a bit more hefty than the other two style, and the handles have a slightly textured feel which makes them safer and more pleasant to handle than the slippery handles of some other brands (like Global for example, which can easily slip from your hand). If you like the shape of this handle but would like something more affordable (or if you simply prefer the feel of textured plastic), then the new Grand Prix II series is a great choice. All the handles are really superb, so just choose the one that looks best to you (or would fit best with the style of your gift recipient), and also make your choice depending on if you like the classic feel of hard material (designed to feel a bit like wood in the hand) or the perhaps more "ergonomic" textured plastic of the Grand Prix II, or the sexy look/feel and added heft of the Culinar steel handles. All Wusthof knives should last a lifetime, and remember, the blades are identical. Note: the original Grand Prix line has been discontinued and is no longer available. It has been replaced by the Grand Prix II line. The only difference is in the shape of the handle, in that the Grand Prix II handle has a slightly more "egonomic" shape. http://www.paulsfinest.com/Wusthof-Cana ... s-FAQ.html

By the way the PM at BestBuy or FS is less attractive since they lowered the price by about 100$ yesterday.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)