Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

WyzeCam 1080p HD Wireless Smart Home Camera v2 $37.49

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2020 6:41 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1661 posts
511 upvotes
midget_man wrote: I thought I read somewhere that there's some setting to do something to disable the lights but still keep the night vision. Is that not possible?
Thats exactly what I'm referring to. Those "lights" on a camera when it goes into night vision mode are IR illuminators. If you disable that setting the night vision is still on if set to Auto or ON.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tatung wrote: Thats exactly what I'm referring to. Those "lights" on a camera when it goes into night vision mode are IR illuminators. If you disable that setting the night vision is still on if set to Auto or ON.
I suspect that's only available in the V2 or Dafang hacks? In the original Xiaofang hack, is it possible to disable only the IR lights without disabling the night vision? Currently if I disable the IR script, and the camera is rebooted at night, it will be stuck in night vision mode (B&W) even after it gets bright outside.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5335 posts
3149 upvotes
A Place to Stand
tatung wrote: Thats exactly what I'm referring to. Those "lights" on a camera when it goes into night vision mode are IR illuminators. If you disable that setting the night vision is still on if set to Auto or ON.
So without those IR illuminator lights on, the night vision, although on, won't pick up video if it is dark out in an unlit area? I'm guessing that is what you mean. So essentially, there is no way to get it to work from inside out a window if it is dark outside and unlit.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1661 posts
511 upvotes
midget_man wrote: So without those IR illuminator lights on, the night vision, although on, won't pick up video if it is dark out in an unlit area? I'm guessing that is what you mean. So essentially, there is no way to get it to work from inside out a window if it is dark outside and unlit.
Exactly. i was using this last month as a baby monitor temporarily and I turned off the IR lights and even with Night Vision on it was pitch black.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1661 posts
511 upvotes
midget_man wrote: So without those IR illuminator lights on, the night vision, although on, won't pick up video if it is dark out in an unlit area? I'm guessing that is what you mean. So essentially, there is no way to get it to work from inside out a window if it is dark outside and unlit.
Search this thread for "window" or something, there was lots of talk about this exact thing with pictures for example.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2003
5335 posts
3149 upvotes
A Place to Stand
tatung wrote: Search this thread for "window" or something, there was lots of talk about this exact thing with pictures for example.
Yes, that is what I did and I saw the discussion saying essentially what you had said. Makes sense I guess, what are the IR lights there for if not essential for night vision. I just vaguely recall reading something to the contrary, just could not recall if it was here or elsewhere. Thanks for the info.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2009
1661 posts
511 upvotes
midget_man wrote: Yes, that is what I did and I saw the discussion saying essentially what you had said. Makes sense I guess, what are the IR lights there for if not essential for night vision. I just vaguely recall reading something to the contrary, just could not recall if it was here or elsewhere. Thanks for the info.
I think you some people had IR lights outside their house to provide the IR required by the camera.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
Well after about close to 2 years now of my Wyze Cam inside an enclosure on my porch being covered from the elements of weather through summer and winter, it has now started to appear that it's dying. I've noticed more purple fringing in the image, blown highlights getting worse, and parts of the image that has turned grainy light purple.

In 2020 is the Wyze Cam still the best low price offering out there or has there been another offering that has over taken Wyze Cam?

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2006
1168 posts
306 upvotes
Toronto
radeonboy wrote: Well after about close to 2 years now of my Wyze Cam inside an enclosure on my porch being covered from the elements of weather through summer and winter, it has now started to appear that it's dying. I've noticed more purple fringing in the image, blown highlights getting worse, and parts of the image that has turned grainy light purple.

In 2020 is the Wyze Cam still the best low price offering out there or has there been another offering that has over taken Wyze Cam?

Thanks.
The ~2 year old camera that looks outside (sensors are subject to bright sunlight and nighttime) also is failing (purple colour in light scenes, noise in dark scenes. The camera has been inside the whole time, but perhaps the sensors fail after too much exposure to bright sunlight?

My cameras that are used predominantly with indoor lighting are still fine.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2004
1062 posts
296 upvotes
who_ca wrote: The ~2 year old camera that looks outside (sensors are subject to bright sunlight and nighttime) also is failing (purple colour in light scenes, noise in dark scenes. The camera has been inside the whole time, but perhaps the sensors fail after too much exposure to bright sunlight?

I know you guys aren't complaining but for those reading the thread.... We are paying next to nothing for the camera and for it to last 2 years in conditions it wasn't meant for... is pretty darn good. Thanks Wyzecam!!!
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
who_ca wrote: The ~2 year old camera that looks outside (sensors are subject to bright sunlight and nighttime) also is failing (purple colour in light scenes, noise in dark scenes. The camera has been inside the whole time, but perhaps the sensors fail after too much exposure to bright sunlight?

I believe you are right. The picture looks overexposed and bad outside in daylight, but since I removed it and brought it and tested it indoors its still sufficient for indoor use so I'll have extra life out of it. Changed the SD card as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)