Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] XFX RX 5700 DD Ultra Video Card $404.38

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2020 3:15 pm
May 10, 2010
364 posts
539 upvotes
London
JustJohnny wrote: Received the card today. Extremely disappointed with the out-of-box performance. Here are the GPU-Z readings after 20min of light gaming;

GPU clock: 1530mhz
GPU temp: 82c
GPU junction temp: 108c
Memory Temp: 76c
VRM: 62c
Fan speed: 3245rpm (92%)

Pretty much a jet engine and easily the loudest card I've owned since the 8800GTX & HD7970 blower. Case is an FT02, so airflow has never been a problem.

Card includes a 'warranty void if removed' sticker on one of the GPU screws. Can I return this card to Amazon if the sticker is tampered with?

I'm interested to find out if the GN mods and repaste will bring down the temps. Card would catch fire if it received an XT bios under this config.
If it's quieter than my Vega 56 Blower card then I'll be happy.

But if you want to return it, as long as you have all the original packaging, Amazon should accept it. But I'm not sure about the warranty void sticker being gone...
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
3418 posts
1168 upvotes
BC
JustJohnny wrote: Received the card today. Extremely disappointed with the out-of-box performance. Here are the GPU-Z readings after 20min of light gaming;

GPU clock: 1530mhz
GPU temp: 82c
GPU junction temp: 108c
Memory Temp: 76c
VRM: 62c
Fan speed: 3245rpm (92%)

Pretty much a jet engine and easily the loudest card I've owned since the 8800GTX & HD7970 blower. Case is an FT02, so airflow has never been a problem.

Card includes a 'warranty void if removed' sticker on one of the GPU screws. Can I return this card to Amazon if the sticker is tampered with?

I'm interested to find out if the GN mods and repaste will bring down the temps. Card would catch fire if it received an XT bios under this config.
Let us know how it goes if you decide to mod it. I'm a bit surprised that you find this model very loud.
Dec 24, 2019
7 posts
8 upvotes
YYC
Feegus wrote: Let us know how it goes if you decide to mod it. I'm a bit surprised that you find this model very loud.
I'm jealous of your high tolerance for fan noise :)

On an serious note, the way my original card performed lead me to believe I received a Friday built card. "Slap it together Mike, and let's go drankin' ", built card, you know. Replacement card arrived today and performs better than I ever expected or have seen in benchmarks. This also leads me to believe there may have been quite a bit of QA variance. Other GPU manufacturers are experiencing similar issues with products developed in Shenzhen, so it's not XFX specific. If my replacement card is any indication, XFX have ironed out the kinks and quite possibly released the best valued 5700 on the market, hands down. Sadly, revisit reviews will not be in their future.

So, onto the performance of the replacement, fully stock card and default display driver settings, except for 1460rpm normalized reading. Readings taken using GPU-Z after 20min of Heaven (2560x1440, ultra, etc etc), which my original card could barely do without catching fire. Ambient room temp of 20c.

AVERAGE | MAX | Normalized to 1460rpm (what I consider silent)
GPU clock: 1681mhz | 1718mhz | 1700mhz
GPU temp: 71.6c | 81.0c | 62c
GPU junction temp: 79.2c | 90c | 68c
Memory temp: 78.5c | 88.0c | 68c
VRM temp: 65.9c | 75c | 58c
Fan speed: 983rpm (28%) | 1465rpm (41%) | 1460rpm (41%)

Surreal performance. Something I expected after mods, but not before. I can't imagine the improvements after 'GN' mods. For those who want a card to buy and enjoy, look no further. This is the real deal.

Side note, Mark with XFX support was great to deal with.

Edit: Added two images. One comparing the RX5700 (it's hefty!) to the HD7950 it replaced and 5700 installed.
Edit 2: Updated XFX tech's name from Matt to Mark.
Images
  • 7950.JPG
  • installed.jpg
Last edited by JustJohnny on Jan 14th, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_jj
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
3418 posts
1168 upvotes
BC
JustJohnny wrote: I'm jealous of your high tolerance for fan noise :)
My PC is in a noisy room so I don't care too much :)

Thanks for posting back. I would have been choked to get a dud like that. Good for you for sorting it out.
The only thing next is the GN mods!
I'm going to wait a bit for the price to come back down but I'm def grabbing one of these to replace my Rx480 !
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
3418 posts
1168 upvotes
BC
JustJohnny wrote: Side note, Matt with XFX support was great to deal with.
What did XFX support do for you? You bought it from Amazon, yeah? You just returned for an exchange or ..?
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
5187 posts
1758 upvotes
How does this compare to the RTX 2070 super deal at 540 in terms of better deal and benchmarks?
Nov 25, 2007
245 posts
164 upvotes
Burnaby, B.C.
vivibaby wrote: How does this compare to the RTX 2070 super deal at 540 in terms of better deal and benchmarks?
Currently at $441.09 at Amazon Canada and assuming you can (if you have the know how to) unlock the power to get RX 5700 XT-like performance... you're paying 22.44% more for the RTX 2070 for 10%-12% better performance (on average for 1440p and 4K gaming). -> https://www.techspot.com/review/1902-ge ... n-5700-xt/

For me, the RX 5700 is still a better deal. If you got it for ~$400, it was a screaming deal!
Dec 24, 2019
7 posts
8 upvotes
YYC
Feegus wrote: What did XFX support do for you? You bought it from Amazon, yeah? You just returned for an exchange or ..?
I was looking for answers to two key questions.

1. Are there any known issues of the XFX 5700 operating in vertical orientation, and;
  2. Does removal of 'warranty void' sticker apply to Canadian residents

First, no issues running the card vertically. Second, the warning does not apply to Canadian residents. However, one still needs to ensure the card is not physically damaged or altered in a way as to prevent it from being restored to factory condition. I got the feeling I was speaking with a company that's for and understands enthusiasts. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
The whole process made me wonder whether I can reach the other vendors as easily. Nope. Powercolour's phone contact information was most comedic.
Correct. I ended up returning the card to Amazon and obtained a replacement.

XT BIOS modded. In stock config, I can certainly hear the card now! Quick and dirty UV, of 1900MHz and 1100mV, card will sit at around 2000rpm, 1866MHz and 72c core, 92c core junction (image attached). GN mods this weekend.

Pro tip. Not all XT Thicc BIOSes on TPU are created equal. Make sure to review the BIOS details; power limits, acoustic limits and clocks, and install a BIOS that matches your GPU, while suiting your system/environment. Ask your question in this forum HERE if you have any doubts about flashing your card.

Edit: Additional information provided.
Images
  • rx5700dd_xtBIOS.gif
_jj
Dec 24, 2019
7 posts
8 upvotes
YYC
One final kick at the proverbial "can" for those still consuming, on the purchase fence or passing by.

Summary up to this point. Replacement RX 5700 arrived as the original had abysmal thermal performance. Stock performance superb with low fan speeds and GPU temps. Flash to 5700XT successful. "GN mods", re-paste and UV next.

GN mod (no backplate), washer mod and repaste successful. Don't forget to attach the two small screws to the VRM cooling portion. It will sound as though the PCB is cracking. Don't go further. Alternatively, build two small washers to use as offset to the bulk chassis screws originally sat in. Washer mod did not bring benefits that I saw. Heatsink pressure was tight. Skip it. If you want to proceed, obtain 4 washers from Home Depot, BIN NUMBER: 3977. Re-paste, used Thermal Grizzly K. Dropped PCB onto heatsink. Found that to be easier thread placement. Used needles inside 4 GPU heatsink screw threads to line up with PCB.

Using 1900MHz @ 1000Mv @ 45% fan speed with fan stop (1900 @ 975Mv = driver reset after 20min). Card runs cool and quiet. I'll squeeze the last bit of performance, when warranted much further into the future. Time to enjoy fruits of thy labour!

Overall, my cards noise and thermal performance reaches, and even surpasses the big 3, Gigabyte O/C, Nitro+ and Red Devil. That was my target and goal.

Side notes.
* Fan Tuning appears broken in v19.12.2 drivers. Fan speed will go beyond the MAX fan speed set. Can anyone comment whether fan speed is fixed in newer releases?
* My original GPU was v1.2, this one is v2.2
* v2.2 has an physically attached aluminium ram cold plate (previous versions had screw-secured steel)
* v2.2's copper GPU plate is now flush and doesn't have the described airgap from GN teardown
* RAM appears to run hot on these cards. I say appears since I'm not sure it's clear what the RAM temp sensor actually is (AMD doesn't include this sensor in their GPU drivers, hmmm). Don't take the reading from GPU-Z as gospel.
* RAM is Samsung (Micron is commonly found) and should have greater o/c headroom. Overclocking headroom is further confirmed in the BIOS file. Samsung is rated for 2250mhz @ 35tCL, while Micron 2000mhz @ 32tCL
* I'll do the RAM heatsinks on the back of PCB in the future. 3M Thermal Adhesive 8815 and small RAM finned sinks should do just fine.
* I used this XT Bios due to the following targets;
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/213 ... 2-190906-1
Total: 210W
GPU: 196A
Acoustic Target: 1600rpm
* Alternatively, this XT bios also looked good;
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/214 ... 192-191007
Total: 195W
GPU: 176A
Acoustic Target: 1350rpm

Don't forget to enjoy the darn thing once your done, or as stock.

Edit: Added benchmark image.
Images
  • rx5700xtLite_bench.png
_jj
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
3418 posts
1168 upvotes
BC
JustJohnny wrote: One final kick at the proverbial "can" for those still consuming, on the purchase fence or passing by.
Hell of a post amigo. You are making me want this specific 5700 above all others. Reading about the benefits of modding etc. gets me going. I love that stuff and especially when the gains are big.
How can you tell which version GPU (v1.2 vs v2.2) you have?
Dec 24, 2019
7 posts
8 upvotes
YYC
Feegus wrote: Hell of a post amigo. You are making me want this specific 5700 above all others. Reading about the benefits of modding etc. gets me going. I love that stuff and especially when the gains are big.
How can you tell which version GPU (v1.2 vs v2.2) you have?
Thanks for the kind words. Card version is listed on box label (sample image attached). Images of versions I've seen up to this point have been; v1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 2.2.

Always happy to help a fellow enthusiast. You'll feel right at home here. At $400, with "little" elbow grease, the value is tough to match. What sold me was this cards 5700XT Ultra cooler with fixable aesthetics. Cooler has no issues handling the XT bios. Can't fix an inadequate cooler that will struggle with the additional power draw of an XT BIOS.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

Edit: Added copy of my Radeon UnderVolt (UV) settings.
Images
  • GPU Box - Copy.jpg
  • UVsettings.png
_jj