Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Xiaomi Mi A2 64GB + 4GB ram, dual camera, black - $232, free shipping by Amazon

• Last Updated:
  • May 9th, 2019 11:44 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18376 posts
6457 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon Canada] Xiaomi Mi A2 64GB + 4GB ram, dual camera, black - $232, free shipping by Amazon

Somebody was asking about getting a new phone in the ~$250 range. I tried to help out by looking through the hot deals forum and found a thread on the Xiaomi Mi A2 lite for $251. A bit of searching on the Amazon site and I found a Mi A2 deal that is pretty much the same price. According to 3Cs, $260 is the lowest price. Gold and blue color options will cost $275. For the same price, I think the Mi A2 is much better buy for the faster CPU and dual camera. This is an android one phone, so software support should good. Here is a spec comparison between Mi A2 and Mi A2 lite.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?i ... hone2=9140

Gsmarena also provided what looks like a fair review on the phone. No doubt it is a mid range phone. For the price, I think it is good value. I bought a Redmi Note 5 last year for about the cost last summer. No hesitation in recommending the Xiaomi brand.

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_a2_l ... w-1856.php
Last edited by will888 on May 4th, 2019 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
171 replies
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18376 posts
6457 upvotes
Toronto
the11thdoctor wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 9:02 am
I have this phone, and I can't say that I love it.
Anything you don't like in particular?
Koodo $40/6GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Jan 2, 2014
512 posts
162 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 9:06 am
Anything you don't like in particular?
The bands provided make for worse connection down along near the gardiner where my work is compared to the Note 5 Pro (Which I have sitting in my desk)
The battery is definitely inferior but I'm basically saying that I don't like it versus the Note series.

If someone loved pure android and didn't mind their battery not lasting the full day then it's a fine phone.
It's possible my battery is also poor because of the phone constantly trying to switch bands where I am at work since it's a little more stable on weekends up in north york.
Aug 21, 2011
242 posts
17 upvotes
I have this phone and like it quite a bit. I think it's a great phone for the $300 let a lone this price. But I in a job where I can easily damage my phone so I can't really buy expensive phones. There are. A few options you have to turn off for it to work properly with GPS. But for the most part compared to my work s7 I don't notice a huge difference in coverage with its more limited bands.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18376 posts
6457 upvotes
Toronto
the11thdoctor wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 9:14 am
The bands provided make for worse connection down along near the gardiner where my work is compared to the Note 5 Pro (Which I have sitting in my desk)
The battery is definitely inferior but I'm basically saying that I don't like it versus the Note series.

If someone loved pure android and didn't mind their battery not lasting the full day then it's a fine phone.
It's possible my battery is also poor because of the phone constantly trying to switch bands where I am at work since it's a little more stable on weekends up in north york.
Did you happen to get a different version? From what I can tell both phones have the same bands. The ones that will work in Canada are bands 2, 4, 5, 7.
Koodo $40/6GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2017
1167 posts
497 upvotes
GTA
thecdbob wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 9:33 am
I have this phone and like it quite a bit. I think it's a great phone for the $300 let a lone this price. But I in a job where I can easily damage my phone so I can't really buy expensive phones. There are. A few options you have to turn off for it to work properly with GPS. But for the most part compared to my work s7 I don't notice a huge difference in coverage with its more limited bands.
In direct comparison to an s7, would it be worth it to have the A2 over the s7?
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
Jan 2, 2014
512 posts
162 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 9:39 am
Did you happen to get a different version? From what I can tell both phones have the same bands. The ones that will work in Canada are bands 2, 4, 5, 7.
No it's the same version, maybe it's because I can't tell it to prefer 3G when LTE is not perfect and it fights downtown here where I am.
i've also noticed the funky GPS which messes up with Android Auto sometimes.
Jan 2, 2014
512 posts
162 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 9:44 am
In direct comparison to an s7, would it be worth it to have the A2 over the s7?
Yes
Nov 22, 2009
708 posts
709 upvotes
Toronto
Can't speak for the A2 but I can for the A1.

The A1 was a decent phone when I first received it but I noticed it got increasingly sluggish/glitchy over time, forcing me to factory reset every month or so. Camera is okay in well lit settings but has no image stabilization and my shaky hands meant over 75% of the pictures I took were unusable. The Bluetooth was garbage for some reason. Whenever I would connect it to any vehicle (I tried over 4) and use the hands-free calling the output mode would keep switching between phone speaker and hands free mode but not providing sound through either. Trying to manually swap the mode didn't fix it and froze the phone on many occasions. Finally, the god awful bands. I would constantly lose internet connection because it is missing one of the bands that penetrates walls (I think 4?). Even trying to take the GO train from Union to Brampton meant my internet didn't work for over half the ride. Texts sometimes don't go through or get stuck on "sending" for minutes, not only when band reception is lost.

Would not recommend.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1191 posts
369 upvotes
Toronto
I was also debating between the A2 and the A2 Lite and decided to go with the A2 Lite because of the microSD slot, much bigger battery, and microUSB port (I didn't want to get a bunch of new cables with none of my other devices not yet on USB-C). I've had it for 4 months now and have been very satisfied. Common features I like on both phones is the dual sim and the Anroid One OS.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18376 posts
6457 upvotes
Toronto
hssironman wrote:
Mar 25th, 2019 10:11 am
I was also debating between the A2 and the A2 Lite and decided to go with the A2 Lite because of the microSD slot, much bigger battery, and microUSB port (I didn't want to get a bunch of new cables with none of my other devices not yet on USB-C). I've had it for 4 months now and have been very satisfied. Common features I like on both phones is the dual sim and the Anroid One OS.
To me, android one is a important feature of the phone. At least you know that for the next roughly 2 years, there will still be OS support. Most carrier brands will start abandoning their support as soon as next year's model arrives. For those who are into third party roms, bootloader unlocking is available for Xiaomi devices.
Koodo $40/6GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
May 14, 2005
434 posts
138 upvotes
Ontario
Absolutely love mine, I got it for around 280 shipped from aliexpress last year. No gps or LTE connection problems for me. I'm using public mobile here in Hamilton and the reception is solid with this phone. Battery life is also fairly good at least for my daily usage. One little negative is that the monthly android updates are sometimes slow to arrive.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)