Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite 4GB 64GB Black US Version $230 CAD - Free Shipping with Prime and Delivery in 3-4 Business Days

[OP]
Mar 1, 2011
223 posts
405 upvotes
Calgary

[Amazon Canada] Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite 4GB 64GB Black US Version $230 CAD - Free Shipping with Prime and Delivery in 3-4 Business Days

April 15 - Price is down to $230.

The Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite posts appear every so often for sales on AliExpress and other asian market sites, etc. The biggest issue for many RFD'ers is shipping and duty. If you ship using the "free shipping" on AliExpress, can take well over 90 days. This has turned off many people. It just isn't worth the hassle with long delivery times. Shipping with DHL is better but there is an additional cost and duty you have to pay. Presently, the 4GB version is about $230 CAD on these asian market sites before shipping and duty factored in.

Just noticed there is a reseller of the Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite 4GB 64GB version for $251 with free shipping for Prime members in 3-4 business days and you don't have to deal with shipping and duty. This is at historic lows on 3C. Seems to be good feedback with this reseller.

Lots of posts and reviews on the Mi A2 Lite so I'm not going to regurgitate all that. Fantastic phone at that price. It appears the US version is the Global version. Works with all carriers in Canada except Freedom. The beauty of this phone is it is Android One so you get that stock Android experience and is updated frequently over the air (OTA).

xiaomi.PNG
Last edited by Hank71 on Apr 23rd, 2019 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
160 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23974 posts
9513 upvotes
Be aware that even though it's stock android, if you want to run your own OS for whatever reason Xiaomi has some frankly ridiculous bootloader unlock policies.

I had to wait 30 days for me.
Others before me had to wait 60 days.

So your new phone is effectively useless for that time because unlocking the bootloader means you have to wipe your device.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2007
1515 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 12:59 am
Be aware that even though it's stock android, if you want to run your own OS for whatever reason Xiaomi has some frankly ridiculous bootloader unlock policies.

So your new phone is effectively useless for that time because unlocking the bootloader means you have to wipe your device.
Yeah I had to wait 2 weeks for mine. When I unlocked mine like 2 months ago there was no way to bypass it and I just had to wait the 2 weeks.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23974 posts
9513 upvotes
o1jellybean wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 1:02 am
Yeah I had to wait 2 weeks for mine. When I unlocked mine like 2 months ago there was no way to bypass it and I just had to wait the 2 weeks.
That's another thing that annoys me.
It's totally arbitrary on how long you actually have to wait.
I've seen it as low as 3 days and as high as 60 days.
I don't exactly want to gamble on how long it'll take because some idiot thinks this is a good idea.
There's not even any reason for it either. Or rather the reasons that people have speculated I've come up with better arguments.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
1585 posts
177 upvotes
what other OS to run? advantage?
i feel like i want to buy it, but it might just be poor judgement at 1:30am
my s5 still seems to be good, laggy with sooo much samsung junk thou
dont think ebates work on 3rd party?
May 8, 2002
768 posts
102 upvotes
bestknightmare wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 1:29 am
what other OS to run? advantage?
i feel like i want to buy it, but it might just be poor judgement at 1:30am
my s5 still seems to be good, laggy with sooo much samsung junk thou
dont think ebates work on 3rd party?
ebates worked for me. I bought that phone from a 3rd party on amazon and got my cashback.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12048 posts
1540 upvotes
Kanata
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 12:59 am

That's false information for this model.

The Android One models from Xiaomi do not require using the Mi Unlock tool. You just need the adb tools and to use fastboot to unlock, same as the Google Pixel phones. Have you owned an Android One phone from Xiaomi, or do you own an MIUI based phone?
Jan 4, 2019
149 posts
139 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 7:12 am
Nobody should buy this when there will be a Mi A3 around the corner that will use the camera from the Redmi Note 7/Note 7 Pro. A MUCH better camera.
If you need a phone right now, it is a good buy. The camera is already good on it too.
WellHung wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 5:54 am
Spend little more and get the newest mid-range processor: https://www.amazon.ca/Xiaomi-64GB-Camer ... onics&th=1
I went with the A2 Lite. I did not like that the A2 was missing features that the A2 Lite had. The only thing that sucks is the notch, but you can't win them all.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
5708 posts
3755 upvotes
ReadAllTheDeals wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 7:22 am
If you need a phone right now, it is a good buy. The camera is already good on it too.

I went with the A2 Lite. I did not like that the A2 was missing features that the A2 Lite had. The only thing that sucks is the notch, but you can't win them all.
Normally I would say to buy this now, but the leap in camera quality shown with Redmi Note 7 reviews is truly impressive, including low light. Look for yourself :

Jan 4, 2019
149 posts
139 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 7:28 am
Normally I would say to buy this now, but the leap in camera quality shown with Redmi Note 7 reviews is truly impressive, including low light. Look for yourself :

I'd still take the A2 Lite over the Redmi Note 7 at this moment in time. Heck, even when the A3 comes out, the A2 Lite will be a great buy for some time to come (price pending).

The A2 Lite is currently:
  • Available on Amazon (get it fast!)
  • Is in the budget range while supplying great features (depending on your budget)
  • Is small enough to still fit in your pocket
  • Has a great camera for the price. Even for the price, I would say it is better than most you would get locally.
  • 4000mAh battery, more than enough to get you through the day. With heavy use, I have no worry about running out and I also have juice left.
  • Works great. Even with the negativity of the Snapdragon 625. It runs all the apps that i use.
  • Has an IR blaster. This is worth its weight in gold alone.
  • Has a headphone jack
  • Plus some other goodies
It is not all gravy. The notch, no user-removable battery, and no wireless charging for me sucks. But, given the benefits and price, it is a perfect balance of price, features, and availability (some people are recommending a phone that is a year away). In comparison to the Redmi Note 7. It is not on Amazon (yet). So you are waiting awhile to get it. It cost more. A lot more. So much so, I wouldn't classify it as an alternative. If it is, your budget is higher and you have many other options. For me the Redmi Note 7 is too large and has no IR Blaster which is a big deal for me. Phones are quite personal, so just do your research and find one that works for you.

Edit: Clarification and formatting.
Last edited by ReadAllTheDeals on Feb 16th, 2019 8:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
2581 posts
342 upvotes
board123 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 7:55 am
Much, much better deal. People should not be buying Snapdragon 625 phones in 2019....
The battery kills the deal. It's not enough for 2019.
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11561 posts
1206 upvotes
HammerJoe wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 8:04 am
The battery kills the deal. It's not enough for 2019.
3000 mAh is a good amount for a mid-range chipset like Snapdragon 660. It won't give you fantastic battery life, but it's more than adequate for typical daily use. My Galaxy S8 also has a 3000 mAh battery, and it can last well over a day per charge.

if your primary need is amazing battery life, then get the Snapdragon 625 coupled with a huge battery. If you want a better performing phone with average battery life, then get the 660.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)