Hot Deals

[Amazon Canada] Yale Assure Lock SL with Z-Wave Plus $180. How's this deal?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2019 9:23 pm
[OP]
Aug 11, 2008
851 posts
204 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Yale Assure Lock SL with Z-Wave Plus $180. How's this deal?

https://www.amazon.ca/Yale-Assure-Lock- ... B076WZT4VD
Is this best deal for smartthings/z-wave lock with touchscreen?
Can't find google assistance integration mentioned anywhere on amazon or yale website, but it should be working through smartthings?

$164 with physical keypad:
https://www.amazon.ca/Yale-Real-Living- ... B00PM6V1XW

Last edited by ykhehra1 on Jun 19th, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
33 replies
Aug 7, 2006
20 posts
26 upvotes
I purchased this last week on the $179 sale price and I have this lock hooked up to smartthings without any issues. Smartthings has a built in door code setup screen to add/remove codes without doing it from the keypad. I don't have it connected to any third party hubs though.

Get it all connected up before powering it up or you'll need to factory reset it to recalibrate the door locking mechanism. I put it on the coffee table to try it out and found out it does a calibration after you put the master key into it. The lock was making weird clicking noises until I factory reset it and it recalibrated. There is likely an easier way but I just did the factory reset to be done with it.

My door had a smaller hole so I did have to bore a new 2 1/8" hole to get this smartlock to fit.

I used this Dewalt bore kit if anyone else has the same issue:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000BOPE56/

Corran
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12003 posts
3903 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ykhehra1 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 3:09 pm
$164 with physical keys:
https://www.amazon.ca/Yale-Real-Living- ... B00PM6V1XW
Oops, thought you were talking about the key hole, not the key pad...
That link points to the one without a physical key hole. This is the one with the keyhole (more expensive at $240):

https://www.amazon.ca/Yale-Touchscreen- ... GG9AY&th=1
[OP]
Aug 11, 2008
851 posts
204 upvotes
After watching video that these can be open easily with paper clip i think its better without keyhole. Still I keep my ears open for touchscreen vs physical keypad pros and cons
rvs007 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 3:21 pm
Oops, thought you were talking about the key hole, not the key pad...
That link points to the one without a physical key hole. This is the one with the keyhole (more expensive at $240):

https://www.amazon.ca/Yale-Touchscreen- ... GG9AY&th=1
Last edited by ykhehra1 on Jun 19th, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 23, 2012
39 posts
Just wondering, is Z-Wave Plus good? I'm interested in the Yale lock, because I use Google Home. I'd also like a keyless entry for one of my house doors. Whats the difference between this lock and the others?
[OP]
Aug 11, 2008
851 posts
204 upvotes
To use z-wave you need hub like smartthings and then you should be able to use google, alexa etc through hub
WizzChris wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 3:49 pm
Just wondering, is Z-Wave Plus good? I'm interested in the Yale lock, because I use Google Home. I'd also like a keyless entry for one of my house doors. Whats the difference between this lock and the others?
Last edited by ykhehra1 on Jun 19th, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28045 posts
13860 upvotes
Ottawa
ykhehra1 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 3:36 pm
After watching video that these can be open easily with paper clip i think its better without keyhole. Still I keep my ears open for touchscreen vs physical keypad pros and cons
The paperclip exploit has been corrected.
I have been using one for about 2yrs (keyhole version) and will never go back to a traditional lock and key.
It has survived the cold winters here in Ottawa with ease and the touch screen is very responsive.
[OP]
Aug 11, 2008
851 posts
204 upvotes
How long one set off rechargeable batteries work before replacing? one pro I can see with physical keypad is longer battery life.
Last edited by ykhehra1 on Jun 20th, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 7, 2006
20 posts
26 upvotes
Z-Wave Plus requires a hub like Samsung Smartthings to connect all your devices then Google Home connects to the hub.

Lowes sells the hub but likely you can find it in many different stores:

https://www.lowes.ca/smart-hubs/samsung ... tthing-hub

There are lots of Z-Wave Plus devices. On my smartthings hub I have the following devices:

1. EcoNet Water leak sensor for Sump Pump
2. SmartThings Water leak sensors for Dishwasher and Water Heater
3. Radio Thermostat CT101
4. GE Light switches
5. Dome Outlet switches
6. Garage Door Opener
7. Yale SmartLock
8. Dome Door open sensors
9. Freezer temperature sensors
10. Smoke/Carbon Monoxide Sensors

I like zwave as I can build a variety of alerts and automations in the hub and be alerted/texted when something happens. Some of the standalone wifi devices are cheaper but I'd rather have one central location with all my devices connected.

Corran
Oct 23, 2012
39 posts
ykhehra1 wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 3:55 pm
To use z-wave you need hub like smartthings and then you should be able to use google, alexa etc through hub
Ok, thanks. So instead of using my google home hub as the central point - I need to use a smartthings hub and then connect it all to google afterwards?
appreciate it.. i've been trying to find out which option is better lol
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1694 posts
86 upvotes
Ottawa
Are there any better alternatives on sale at the moment?
Aug 7, 2006
20 posts
26 upvotes
WizzChris wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 4:03 pm
Ok, thanks. So instead of using my google home hub as the central point - I need to use a smartthings hub and then connect it all to google afterwards?
appreciate it.. i've been trying to find out which option is better lol
Here is an article from SmartThings about how to integrate the two:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-u ... martThings

I haven't done it myself but it seems simple enough.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1895 posts
431 upvotes
I have the homekit version of this lock. Bought last summer for $170.

Bottom line: I like it.

Survived a pretty harsh winter. If your door frame warps in winter and you have to do the whole push/pull thing while turing your deadbolt, the same can happen with this lock. The tapered bolt does mean it will semi-engage which is nice but the root problem will still cause issues if you try to engage remotely (lock will report as jammed).

Battery life I estimate will be just under 2 years (~47% after 10 months) with the included alkalines. Not sure about rechargables.

going keyless was weird at first but after a few weeks, I love it.

Using geofence automations is also great. I bought this because we habitually left the garage door unlocked for convenience. Now it locks when we leave the vicinity, unlocks when we come back.

I have automations to sync the locking between my front door and garage door. So I never have the hassle of having to worry about whether the other door is unlocked. If I lock one, I lock both.

Getting notifications when it locks/unlocks is also handy.

Having separate pins for people are handy (wish I could see which pin was used during the notification would be nice). Having time-expiring pins would have been nice too but it's not really a requirement for me.

the touchpad is pretty responsive even in the cold (not glove friendly unless you have touchscreen gloves). it has a mash the pad shortcut to quickly lock the lock or pressing OK when entering your PIN which saves time from hunting the exact OK button.
May 20, 2008
85 posts
15 upvotes
How is this different the nest version of this lock?
[OP]
Aug 11, 2008
851 posts
204 upvotes
SteveWhip wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 5:48 pm
How is this different the nest version of this lock?
I guess you can connect nest version straight to google assistance or nest app without third party hub
Last edited by ykhehra1 on Jun 20th, 2019 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.