• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2019 11:07 am
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 1, 2016
85 posts
80 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Yi Dashcam - 43$ [DEAD]

This dashcam is on sale for $47.99 and there is a $5 coupon to bring it down to $42.99, great price for an amazing dashcam. Have been using it for over a year summer and winter without problems.

Deal is dead or OOS
Last edited by Adrastos67 on Apr 2nd, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
147 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2016
1040 posts
1006 upvotes
Great camera, no issues. Excellent wide angle as well.
Member
Feb 1, 2009
380 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone have experience using car dash cams on a motorcycle? Considering picking one of these cheap ones up.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2019
1003 posts
1135 upvotes
roofster wrote: Anyone have experience using car dash cams on a motorcycle? Considering picking one of these cheap ones up.
I heard some people use helmet mounted action cams.
-------------------
GO zoomers ~
$36 4GB UNLIMITED voicemail + a free phone / 2yr
Newbie
Sep 9, 2008
88 posts
37 upvotes
Thornhill
Any experience on how it performs during the winter? I saw this in one of the product reviews.

"if you leave your car outside long enough, the dashcam will not function properly. I did not know this. So be aware that the dashcam will NOT function properly. It states that the OPERATING TEMPERATURE is -10 deg C to 60 deg C. Fellow Canadians, winter is coming."
Member
User avatar
Apr 20, 2017
262 posts
366 upvotes
Montreal
Mine goes into a reboot loop when the temp dips below -18 or so. It starts working again as soon as the car heats up a bit. In like 5 minutes or so.
most things haven't worked out
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 4, 2007
1157 posts
616 upvotes
simonstumble wrote: Any experience on how it performs during the winter? I saw this in one of the product reviews.

"if you leave your car outside long enough, the dashcam will not function properly. I did not know this. So be aware that the dashcam will NOT function properly. It states that the OPERATING TEMPERATURE is -10 deg C to 60 deg C. Fellow Canadians, winter is coming."
Used mine all winter here in Markham. Works fine and never had a problem with recording
THE CHILDREN ARE FINE!!!
Jr. Member
May 14, 2017
158 posts
106 upvotes
Calgary, Ab
contva wrote: Mine goes into a reboot loop when the temp dips below -18 or so. It starts working again as soon as the car heats up a bit. In like 5 minutes or so.
I’ve been using it since last November and mine not only once went into a loop reboot. I guess I had luck with my camera Slightly Smiling FaceSlightly Smiling Face

Edit: I’m in Calgary, Ab and February was pretty cold btw
Last edited by Hernani81 on Apr 2nd, 2019 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member
Feb 29, 2008
328 posts
121 upvotes
GTA
Ive had one for over a year. Other then the sd card failing (didn't get the proper one), have had no issues in hot or cold

edit:just checked, bought April last year for $69.99. time to buy another for 2nd car
Last edited by fuzzy2k3 on Apr 2nd, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 8, 2007
4021 posts
1433 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Before you throw money out the window on a low priced dash cam, ask yourself why you're buying a dash cam in the first place. If it's to capture a critical moment and save yourself from a world of insurance pain, then I suggest looking at high end brands like thinkware.

Cams like this are fine for having fun and recording road trips but if you're looking to protect yourself look at the top two brands and stay away from these low cost toys.
Last edited by Slawek on Apr 2nd, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sr. Member
Nov 21, 2015
615 posts
352 upvotes
Brampton, ON
The people having issues with the dashcam not working in the cold, I’m assuming that your interior is more cold than others. My previous car wasn’t ‘enclosed’ persay, and the interior would be much colder than my new car. I guess it has to do something with the car itself and not the dashcam.... just a guess.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1092 posts
422 upvotes
GTA, ON
roofster wrote: Anyone have experience using car dash cams on a motorcycle? Considering picking one of these cheap ones up.
I use a go-pro knockoff mounted on my helmet (as another poster had suggested above).

Pros- I don't have to worry about it being stolen- or having to constantly remove it every time I park my motorcycle somewhere and have to go to a store. Plus it would tend to capture everything since your head/helmet would instinctively move towards whatever needs to be captured.

Cons- Apparently, people have gotten tickets for having them. You are technically not supposed to have anything attached to the helmet.

That said- I have been wearing one for 2 years now, and have pull alongside cops at lights, and have never been ticketed so far.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
17211 posts
19106 upvotes
Oakville
Slawek wrote: Before you throw money out the window on a low priced dash cam, ask yourself why you're buying a dash cam in the first place. If it's to capture a critical moment and save yourself from a world of insurance pain, then I suggest looking at high end brands like thinkware.

Cams like this are fine for having fun and recording road trips but if you're looking to protect yourself look at the top two brands and stay away from these low cost toys.
Why? The only real advantage is a slightly clearer video, which may give you a better chance at recording the plate, but no guarantee either. Always best to read the plate out loud to be safe.
All you really need is evidence of what happened, which even the cheapest cam will do.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 21, 2015
3052 posts
2939 upvotes
Toronto, ON
contva wrote: Mine goes into a reboot loop when the temp dips below -18 or so. It starts working again as soon as the car heats up a bit. In like 5 minutes or so.
The cigarette lighter to USB adapter that ships with the CAM is beyond garbage. Replace that with a high quality one and your issue should go away.

My cam used to enter boot loop in temps below -5. Replaced the adapter and now it works even in -30 degrees.
Member
Feb 1, 2009
380 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
wolfpack27616 wrote: I use a go-pro knockoff mounted on my helmet (as another poster had suggested above).

Pros- I don't have to worry about it being stolen- or having to constantly remove it every time I park my motorcycle somewhere and have to go to a store. Plus it would tend to capture everything since your head/helmet would instinctively move towards whatever needs to be captured.

Cons- Apparently, people have gotten tickets for having them. You are technically not supposed to have anything attached to the helmet.

That said- I have been wearing one for 2 years now, and have pull alongside cops at lights, and have never been ticketed so far.
I have a go-pro with a helmet attachment but my only issue with it is the battery life. On a day long ride I don’t want to worry whether it’s dead and have to change the battery a couple of times.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2014
1092 posts
422 upvotes
GTA, ON
roofster wrote: I have a go-pro with a helmet attachment but my only issue with it is the battery life. On a day long ride I don’t want to worry whether it’s dead and have to change the battery a couple of times.
Forgot to list that as a con. I carry 4 spare batteries, and take breaks from riding every 90 mins or so to swap out batteries. Not ideal, but I dont think there's anyway around it other than mounting it on the handlebar and running a line to the motorcycle battery.
Member
User avatar
Jan 13, 2017
412 posts
274 upvotes
Toronto
What is the best dash cam for the money? People are saying this one isn't good enough? Looking for something sleek, that can be hardwired, or used via a USB cable into my power adapter.

The resolution and clarity has to be top notch to read license plates day and night in motion.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
1512 posts
2525 upvotes
Vancouver
vkizzle wrote: Buyer beware.
The OP in the below thread was involved in a low speed hit and run and his Yi dashcam wasn't able to capture a full license plate clearly.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/help-id ... n-2275715/
I think a lot of cameras will struggle with this as it's in the evening, with low light levels.

Also it's a $40 dash cam, you expecting spy satellite camera technology or what.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 8, 2007
4021 posts
1433 upvotes
Kingston, ON
engineered wrote: Why? The only real advantage is a slightly clearer video, which may give you a better chance at recording the plate, but no guarantee either. Always best to read the plate out loud to be safe.
All you really need is evidence of what happened, which even the cheapest cam will do.
And what if you're in a parking lot and your cheap camera didn't capture anything because it's not hardwired and you were in the store? The higher end cams have built in power management and battery monitoring technology. To each their own, like I said there are serious dash cam users and tinkerers (is that a word?)

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)