Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Yi Dashcam - 43$ [DEAD]

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2019 11:07 am
Oct 10, 2014
153 posts
114 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
simonstumble wrote: Any experience on how it performs during the winter? I saw this in one of the product reviews.

"if you leave your car outside long enough, the dashcam will not function properly. I did not know this. So be aware that the dashcam will NOT function properly. It states that the OPERATING TEMPERATURE is -10 deg C to 60 deg C. Fellow Canadians, winter is coming."
Good dashcam, I have been using this for the last 2 Winters with my car always parked outside, not a single problem
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1765 posts
832 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Buyer beware.
The OP in the below thread was involved in a low speed hit and run and his Yi dashcam wasn't able to capture a full license plate clearly.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/help-id ... n-2275715/
His pictures seem to be low resolution, it's possible he set his video camera to low resolution.

however I did have some issues with the Yi Camera where for some odd reason it just stopped recording. I fiddled with it and seems to work. It's good to check it out your dashcam sd card to see if it's actually recording.
Mar 10, 2017
304 posts
282 upvotes
Bat Cave
Those with this camera, how does it perform at night? I bought a cheapo camera that cannot capture night footage at all.
My horn can pierce the sky
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2008
1078 posts
324 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
WayneEnterprise wrote: Those with this camera, how does it perform at night? I bought a cheapo camera that cannot capture night footage at all.
It's fine, look up video reviews online. I've had this for over a year, no issues. I do park my cars in my garage, and haven't had any issues in the winter. Wifi feature is great. Installed for my father in law, no issues. A coworker also ordered this based in my recommendation and hasn't had an issue.

I just placed an order for my 2nd car, to replace the G1w-c.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2008
1007 posts
337 upvotes
Does this come with a memory card? Description says "with 16GB Memory Card"

If not, can someone link a good one to buy please?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
danascully wrote: I think a lot of cameras will struggle with this as it's in the evening, with low light levels.

Also it's a $40 dash cam, you expecting spy satellite camera technology or what.
Of course.
Jul 4, 2013
492 posts
155 upvotes
contva wrote: Mine goes into a reboot loop when the temp dips below -18 or so. It starts working again as soon as the car heats up a bit. In like 5 minutes or so.
Yeah I bought this a few years ago and from the reviews I was afraid of getting due to our Canadian winters. But I bought it nonetheless. I have the exact same issue as you. But like you said once the car is warmed up it is fine. About 5 min. Hate driving and listening to it constantly rebooting lol
Mar 26, 2019
44 posts
104 upvotes
I am in the market for a dash cam but my biggest worry is that as soon i get one I will get in a car accident that is my fault lol
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2310 posts
1655 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
engineered wrote: Why? The only real advantage is a slightly clearer video, which may give you a better chance at recording the plate, but no guarantee either. Always best to read the plate out loud to be safe.
All you really need is evidence of what happened, which even the cheapest cam will do.
Slawek wrote: And what if you're in a parking lot and your cheap camera didn't capture anything because it's not hardwired and you were in the store? The higher end cams have built in power management and battery monitoring technology. To each their own, like I said there are serious dash cam users and tinkerers (is that a word?)
Agree, and that's why I spent the money on a Thinkware F200

To add to the list - it keeps different recording types (ie Parking incident vs Collision) in separate folders and SD card space is properly allocated to each and not overwritten. It also has a proper Parking mode where it records either Shock or Motion events starting 10 seconds BEFORE the incident
Lucky Mobile $20/Month 3GB (unlimited at 128Kbps) further reduced by $5 / month per referral credit(s)
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2218 posts
1282 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I have a couple videos of it during nighttime driving you can find in my post history.

No complaints with it so far...used it for 2 winters and so far so good!
Feb 1, 2009
558 posts
907 upvotes
Toronto
wolfpack27616 wrote: Forgot to list that as a con. I carry 4 spare batteries, and take breaks from riding every 90 mins or so to swap out batteries. Not ideal, but I dont think there's anyway around it other than mounting it on the handlebar and running a line to the motorcycle battery.
My bike came with a cigarette lighter type of outlet where I can stick in a USB cable with an adapter. If I had to run a wire to the battery I’d probably do the helmet option too.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
danascully wrote: I think a lot of cameras will struggle with this as it's in the evening, with low light levels.

Also it's a $40 dash cam, you expecting spy satellite camera technology or what.
+1

People now a days want the cheapest of the cheap cheap cheap but with technology from the year 2050. Neutral Face

But when they buy cheap cheap cheap and doesn't work compared to a $100, they bitch bitch bitch.

However this $40 dashcam is decent in what it does. All you need is evidence of an accident etc... if it's hit and run there's not much you can do anyways, the cops won't go after them, the insurance company will know it's not your fault and will still cover you.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Sep 23, 2008
86 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
PMking wrote: Yeah I bought this a few years ago and from the reviews I was afraid of getting due to our Canadian winters. But I bought it nonetheless. I have the exact same issue as you. But like you said once the car is warmed up it is fine. About 5 min. Hate driving and listening to it constantly rebooting lol
Bought in May 2018, and I've had 2 of these sitting outside in each of our vehicles over the past winter. No reboot loops or issues so far--super happy with the value for money.
That said, I did buy a decent SD card, since that seems like the most likely point of (silent) failure.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will occasionally post useful information; also, nudes.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
Slawek wrote: And what if you're in a parking lot and your cheap camera didn't capture anything because it's not hardwired and you were in the store? The higher end cams have built in power management and battery monitoring technology. To each their own, like I said there are serious dash cam users and tinkerers (is that a word?)
I am very sure you can hardwire any dashcam.

I don't understand your point on the connection between "built-in power" + "battery monitoring technology" and "hardwired".
In order to record anything when car is off, a dashcam is either hardwired, or recording off built-in battery. Both of which have advantages and disadvantages.
I have mine plugged in with just regular cigarette plug, and my car's electricity does power on the dashcam when anything hits my car.

And just in case you want to make a point about image quality, that isn't a big deal either. If I have recorded a hit and run on my car, all I should do would be sending the clip to my insurance and let them do their works. Whether I find the culprit myself or my insurance does, I have already proven the hit and run and my car should be fixed by my insurer.

What I look for in a dashcam is reliability, that means I should just set it up once, and never have to touch it again until things happen. This Yi has done it for me over the past 2-3 years. I have both front and rear.
Aug 1, 2005
581 posts
113 upvotes
Does anyone with this Dashcam know if it uses the same app as the Yi Home cameras? I have one as a baby monitor and its been rock solid. Great camera.
Mar 13, 2013
329 posts
144 upvotes
LONDON
I bought one when it was ~$65 with 16GB SD card, used it for 1 winter, can't complain. For <$45 this is a very good buy.

As a suggestion, if you have a powered rear view mirror, you can splice the power from the mirror and use it to power this dash cam. Search for "12v to 5v down converted usb" and you'll find plenty of devices. Use it at your own discretion, however, I won't be responsible if you blow a fuse or something.
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10229 posts
3143 upvotes
Montreal
I hate Red Flag Deals....purchased, no brainer after watching the reviews on YouTube.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
chene7 wrote: I bought one when it was ~$65 with 16GB SD card, used it for 1 winter, can't complain. For <$45 this is a very good buy.

As a suggestion, if you have a powered rear view mirror, you can splice the power from the mirror and use it to power this dash cam. Search for "12v to 5v down converted usb" and you'll find plenty of devices. Use it at your own discretion, however, I won't be responsible if you blow a fuse or something.
If you're going to make this suggestion, might as well provide some additional details :)
FYI, that's how I hardwired my dashcam also.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)