[Amazon.ca] YI Outdoor Security Camera - $54.39

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2020 4:00 am
[OP]
Nov 28, 2007
422 posts
171 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] YI Outdoor Security Camera - $54.39

Looks like the lowest it has ever been for the outdoor camera.
I have the Yi Dome indoor camera and for the money it is pretty decent.
Their app getting semi regular updates, which would indicate they are still supporting their hardware.
37 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42377 posts
6740 upvotes
How's the security aspect of this IOT device? Any known vulnerabilities?
Blanka
Nov 10, 2003
722 posts
325 upvotes
BC, Canada
Calls home to china but its cheap

There is a hack floating around but it's not free
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
1688 posts
179 upvotes
Kelowna, BC
Loto_Bak wrote: Calls home to china but its cheap

There is a hack floating around but it's not free
I had a quick look, but do you know the cost of the hack? I just want to grab the rtsp stream for use in motion/hass.
Nov 10, 2003
722 posts
325 upvotes
BC, Canada
Yes that's it.
I donated 5 bucks a long time ago.

It's not perfect. I have signal drops once in a while on RTSP but it comes back.

The guy was originally going to only collect donations so he could continue development.
He got it working but he hasn't updated in quite a while and is still collecting donations.
He implied that it would become free after a while but I suppose he saw the $$$'s rolling in.

There are some reports of newer cameras using a different bootloader that is not updatble. I believe it was the Yi Home not the Outdoor but I have not looked up information on this in many months. It could have changed so buyer beware.
I have 3 outdoor and 2 home cameras installed with the hack.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2009
2441 posts
2248 upvotes
Whitby
Tempted but those bad reviews scared me away. I got the indoor one for 30 and so far so good. Looming apocalypse has people going wild over cams. :P
Nov 23, 2004
783 posts
1389 upvotes
Ontario
Personally, in this price range I'd probably up my budget just a tad and get the 5MP Reolink that's around $68 (and often on sale in the $50's). Sure it's POE, but you can power it with a 12V adapter too and don't need to spring for a cheap POE switch if you don't want (or if you do, POE makes it a million times easier to place wherever you want outside). Little more feature packed, and higher resolution. I've used Reolink in the past and been quite happy with them as far as inexpensive cameras go. My current setup is Amcrest though, but you aren't getting an outdoor model for much under $80-100 with them.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
4849 posts
1391 upvotes
At $55, you're almost at a low-end Dahua POE camera from Aliexpress (~$70)
Let's hug it out
Apr 6, 2015
131 posts
11 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Does anyone currently use the Yi 1080p Home Camera? Currently being sold on Amazon for $35. Would you guys recommend it Or would it be worth spending a little more for something better?
Mar 13, 2012
135 posts
3 upvotes
I have the yi home camera. Picture quality is great. We planned to use it as a baby monitor, however when you open the app the camera is always set to mute. We found this to be a problem, as if our internet sometimes buffers/cuts out it will reconnect but on mute.

I could not find a setting to change the cameras default setting to mute. If anyone knows of a fix, I would love to hear :)
Apr 6, 2015
131 posts
11 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
amar87 wrote: I have the yi home camera. Picture quality is great. We planned to use it as a baby monitor, however when you open the app the camera is always set to mute. We found this to be a problem, as if our internet sometimes buffers/cuts out it will reconnect but on mute.

I could not find a setting to change the cameras default setting to mute. If anyone knows of a fix, I would love to hear :)
So everything is good except the you can’t hear anything as it’s always on mute?
Dec 4, 2017
24 posts
9 upvotes
I have the indoor can set up as a baby monitor and the to Yi 1080p outdoor cam aswell. They work great have never had any issues. I also run the wyze along with it.
Mar 13, 2012
135 posts
3 upvotes
Sorry I can hear sound, you just need to click unmute every time you log in.

It would be better for us if the video loaded with the sound turned on as default.
Dec 9, 2001
507 posts
234 upvotes
Vancouver
I have the Kami version, a bit more expensive, but mostly the same. I heard Kami it uses Microsoft Azure servers? I only bought it for offline recording anyway.
It has a SD card slot unlike Nest, which is a plus if you don't want to pay for subscriptions.

Video is decent, would be nice to have high resolution. 20fps recording.
Audio is garbage. Sounds like a Skype call. But I don't think Nest is that much better.
Only works on 2.4ghz Wifi, no 5ghz.
Has a PC application, so even if the iOS and Android app gets delisted 10 years from now, you can still use your camera.

They're coming out with a door bell soon too. I was waiting for a Ring alternative with offline recording for awhile.
Dec 25, 2012
590 posts
708 upvotes
Ontario
Kiddo1085 wrote: I have the indoor can set up as a baby monitor and the to Yi 1080p outdoor cam aswell. They work great have never had any issues. I also run the wyze along with it.
What do you prefer, wyze or yi? Which has better quality and which does a better job for person detection. I have wyze and use it outside, the person detection is hit and miss but I have a card that records 24/7
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2003
10361 posts
6833 upvotes
The moment I see "Yi Cloud"...no thanks.
Dec 4, 2017
24 posts
9 upvotes
The yi is better outdoor I have 32 GB micro SD and it sends you a motion detection alert 6 second clip but if you say no thanks after clip u can view entire clip before and after detection for about a minute. They want you to buy cloud subscription but you don't have too.
Images
  • Screenshot_20200407-212431_YI Home.jpg
  • Screenshot_20200407-212438_YI Home.jpg