[Amazon.ca] Zhiyun Smooth Q2 cell phone gimbal $135.15

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2019 1:12 pm
[OP]
Nov 8, 2007
552 posts
195 upvotes

[Amazon.ca] Zhiyun Smooth Q2 cell phone gimbal $135.15

Been watching this for a gift lately and it suddenly dropped just as I was ready to pull the trigger.
Typical Zhiyun discount and no tax on the order. Usually it is $159 so not really 20% off $169 which is what it says on the site.

Should be better than the DJI Osmo 3 which requires their stupid app/data-collector to use it. That alone was a deal breaker for me.
16 replies
Nov 10, 2018
62 posts
21 upvotes
Osmo 3 app doesn't support shooting in 24p and the motor also feels wonky with moment lenses attached. Will probably return it and get the Zhiyun. Thanks OP
Jan 28, 2006
134 posts
60 upvotes
kzwl18 wrote: Osmo 3 app doesn't support shooting in 24p and the motor also feels wonky with moment lenses attached. Will probably return it and get the Zhiyun. Thanks OP
dji mimo app does though and did you use counterweight for the lenses? I havn't used the mobile version of zhiyun but with the bigger guys I had more success with the ronin than with zhiyun offered.

Staples 25 off 75+ for osmo mobile 3 seems like a better deal at $94 + tax
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2131 posts
1295 upvotes
Toronto
This is worth it for it’s size and basically auto stabilizing at basically any spot you mount the phone (relatively close to the centre). The discount makes it even sweeter.

Bonus, doubles as an expensive portable battery too.
Nov 10, 2018
62 posts
21 upvotes
Meister19 wrote: dji mimo app does though and did you use counterweight for the lenses? I havn't used the mobile version of zhiyun but with the bigger guys I had more success with the ronin than with zhiyun offered.

Staples 25 off 75+ for osmo mobile 3 seems like a better deal at $94 + tax
Oh you're right it does have 24p now. The option wasn't there before, looks like it was updated via dji mimo about 3-4 weeks ago.
Oct 27, 2015
38 posts
138 upvotes
Nepean, ON
Page showed $135 ish until I tried adding to cart at which point it reverted to $159. Now after a refresh the page shows $159. Deal dead I guess.
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
6040 posts
2035 upvotes
How good if a deal is this? Is it worth it for someone who doesn't know if she needs one?
Oct 27, 2015
38 posts
138 upvotes
Nepean, ON
vivibaby wrote: How good if a deal is this? Is it worth it for someone who doesn't know if she needs one?
I'd say probably no. The Osmo Mobile 3 at $94 + tax from Staples (on sale + coupon) is likely the better deal, similar in terms of features offered and cheaper. Compared to the Osmo, the Q2 has a sturdier metal construction, smaller size, and removable battery, but you're paying for it.

EDIT: Price match with https://www.vistek.ca/store/434694/dji-osmo-mobile-3 at $110.99 for even lower price.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2131 posts
1295 upvotes
Toronto
vivibaby wrote: How good if a deal is this? Is it worth it for someone who doesn't know if she needs one?
If you don’t know you need one, I highly recommend you don’t get any.

Gimbals are very niche and a majority are cumbersome to get up and running, let alone have another device to charge. If you don’t have any specific needs or shots in mind you want achieve, this will just collect dust.

Phone stabilization is good enough for a majority of people.
Sep 23, 2010
430 posts
975 upvotes
T Dot
Neo_ZX wrote:
Should be better than the DJI Osmo 3 which requires their stupid app/data-collector to use it. That alone was a deal breaker for me.
The Zhiyun app (ZY Play) is the same in terms of data collection. You can't even open the app with allowing phone and/or contacts (can't remember which).
I can't tell if the Q2 requires the ZY app to work but if it does I would not recommend it. The original Q didn't require the app and that was a great gimbal.

I switched from the q to the 4 a few months ago and bought filmic pro instead of using their app.
[OP]
Nov 8, 2007
552 posts
195 upvotes
aquaman123 wrote: The Zhiyun app (ZY Play) is the same in terms of data collection. You can't even open the app with allowing phone and/or contacts (can't remember which).
I can't tell if the Q2 requires the ZY app to work but if it does I would not recommend it. The original Q didn't require the app and that was a great gimbal.

I switched from the q to the 4 a few months ago and bought filmic pro instead of using their app.
Most ZY gimbals have additional functionality (like time lapse) built into the app but the core function (be a gimbal) works standalone.
Pretty sure this is no different but I've watched so many reviews it's hard to remember. It's not for me so hopefully I'm right.

Last check the DJI won't even allow you to pair it without their app and wouldn't stabilize on its own.
Maybe there's a roundabout way to pair but I couldn't find it quickly so it went back to the store.

Looks like the deal is back?
Jan 14, 2007
675 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
I was able to add to cart at the op's price with my prime account.

I've had the smooth-q for over 2yrs now and this would be a great upgrade, so much smaller and lighter to use....
Oct 27, 2015
38 posts
138 upvotes
Nepean, ON
Meister19 wrote: Would they even let you match plus the coupon? I’m kinda disappointed as Vistek tried to collect taxes from me on a purchase which I made 2 years ago.
I made an order with the coupon, and price matched after the fact via phone. No issues.
Jan 2, 2006
203 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto
Did not try Zhiyun, but I LOVE Osmo 3 and would highly recommend to anyone who is serious to improve his photo/video skills with iPhone 11 Pro. Mimo app can shoot full 4K and has. 17 hours battery charge.