Lowest price for a 5L.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0166OD6J0
I'm an AT&T Customer 😉
15 replies
Apr 3, 2007
734 posts
302 upvotes
Toronto
Someone mentioned Vaccum sealed is important. Is that something that is a feature with this model?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2998 posts
3283 upvotes
Seoulkid wrote: Someone mentioned Vaccum sealed is important. Is that something that is a feature with this model?
there's a hybrid model ( which the one I use ).
https://www.amazon.ca/ZOJI-Zojirushi-Co ... 467&sr=8-1

When I originally purchased it ( or was deciding which to buy ). I bought it to try to lower the energy costs. To be honest, I have no idea how comparable electricity between the 2 models. But I don't think it is significant to be worthwhile.

Just buy any Zojirushi that is made in japan and it will last for a lifetime.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6004 posts
2162 upvotes
Toronto
renegadeavenger wrote: there's a hybrid model ( which the one I use ).

When I originally purchased it ( or was deciding which to buy ). I bought it to try to lower the energy costs. To be honest, I have no idea how comparable electricity between the 2 models. But I don't think it is significant to be worthwhile.

what does hybrid even mean?
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2010
2197 posts
1456 upvotes
Toronto

This is the one I went with too during the last sale because someone mentioned it being 'vacuum insulated' and that was the way to go.
Jul 5, 2006
153 posts
39 upvotes

teavana-ca-zojirushi-cd-wbc40-micom-wat ... #p25842911

Looks like energy consumption of the vacuum models is less than half. Potentially worth it in the long run.

Assuming 15c/kWh and a 30W difference in energy usage, the vacuum model would save you $39/year if you had the unit plugged in 24/ 7 on keep warm and never used the reboil function.

Considering that the temperature drop should also be considerably less, you would likely need to reboil the water less frequently. So even more than $39/year in savings.
Sep 17, 2019
53 posts
34 upvotes
in before "why spend so much on a water boiler/my $10 boiler does the same thing"
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6004 posts
2162 upvotes
Toronto
vtse wrote: This is the one I went with too during the last sale because someone mentioned it being 'vacuum insulated' and that was the way to go.
so there's 2 types, hybrid = vacuum insulated, and "regular", right?

and this one is NOT vacuum..

what is the price difference between vacuum and not vacuum?
Jul 29, 2015
73 posts
59 upvotes
Saskatoon
Damn, I want one of these so bad. My grandma's old house had one and I used to love drinking hot Milo by the liter.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2998 posts
3283 upvotes
Guy wrote:
teavana-ca-zojirushi-cd-wbc40-micom-wat ... #p25842911

Looks like energy consumption of the vacuum models is less than half. Potentially worth it in the long run.

Assuming 15c/kWh and a 30W difference in energy usage, the vacuum model would save you $39/year if you had the unit plugged in 24/ 7 on keep warm and never used the reboil function.

Considering that the temperature drop should also be considerably less, you would likely need to reboil the water less frequently. So even more than $39/year in savings.
Cool good to know.

For those with water softeners.. One word of warning.

You may get error when boiling. Apparently they have some safety mechanism which triggers and water softened water probably due to salt content ends up causing it to over boil and trigger an error.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6004 posts
2162 upvotes
Toronto
renegadeavenger wrote: Cool good to know.

For those with water softeners.. One word of warning.

You may get error when boiling. Apparently they have some safety mechanism which triggers and water softened water probably due to salt content ends up causing it to over boil and trigger an error.
water softener means the water has been filtered for minerals right? so would Brita water have this problem?
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2010
1075 posts
553 upvotes
Richmond Hill
fightbriz wrote: water softener means the water has been filtered for minerals right? so would Brita water have this problem?
From my understanding water softeners and water filters behave differently.

Water softeners target calcium and remove that from the water, i.e. hard water --> soft water = softening. Not sure of the actual process, but softening requires salt to act as the softening agent.

Water filters like Brita is just that...a filter...and it will filter out the calcium in the water ... along with other particles within the water. Often these other particles cause the water to taste funny. The end result is that you have better tasting water.

I only have a water filter and not a softener and my water boiler works fine every day for years now.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
6004 posts
2162 upvotes
Toronto
toram23901 wrote:
From my understanding water softeners and water filters behave differently.

Water softeners target calcium and remove that from the water, i.e. hard water --> soft water = softening. Not sure of the actual process, but softening requires salt to act as the softening agent.

Water filters like Brita is just that...a filter...and it will filter out the calcium in the water ... along with other particles within the water. Often these other particles cause the water to taste funny. The end result is that you have better tasting water.

I only have a water filter and not a softener and my water boiler works fine every day for years now.
So what's the difference, isn't the end result the same?

And you boil water-filtered water?
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2010
1075 posts
553 upvotes
Richmond Hill
fightbriz wrote: So what's the difference, isn't the end result the same?

And you boil water-filtered water?
End result I believe is that with water softeners, it only takes out the calcium in the water, whereas filters remove all the other impurities as well.

And yes, I boil filtered water...but not sure what is water-filtered water.