• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2021 1:30 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
2313 posts
1365 upvotes
Toronto

[Amazon.ca] Zojirushi Micom Water Boiler and Warmer 5.0 L (CD-LFC50WA) - $159.99

Was looking for a hot water dispenser and came across this model. $209.99 - $50 coupon (click under the price to apply)

Seems like a warm deal for a made in Japan 5L Zojirushi. Other 5L Zojirushi's models sell for $250+. I'm no expert on this stuff, can anyone comment if this is a good one to get?
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
31 replies
Aug 7, 2007
975 posts
190 upvotes
Vancouver
Used the exact same one for past 5 years, no issues. Works great.
Relatively quiet.
Jun 15, 2019
251 posts
382 upvotes
Warm water dispenser? Just curious, what for? Sounds like it's not tea-making-hot, right?
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2015
4277 posts
4495 upvotes
Alberta
rokask wrote: Warm water dispenser? Just curious, what for? Sounds like it's not tea-making-hot, right?
Warm deal, hot water
Oct 21, 2014
10 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Exactly what is the use? Why so expensive ?
Dec 17, 2017
26 posts
25 upvotes
rokask wrote: Warm water dispenser? Just curious, what for? Sounds like it's not tea-making-hot, right?
So it basically holds the water at a temperature of your choice at all times (160-195 F). If you want to boil it you hit a button to reboil (or go up to one of those temps). The temperatures supposedly are in line with the ideal temps for making different teas.

This one doesn't appear vaccum sealed, which can be a bit less efficient as it needs to be "on" more to maintain the water temperature.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3551 posts
17 upvotes
cpsharma15 wrote: Exactly what is the use? Why so expensive ?
It heats up/boils water and can hold it at the specified temperature to be dispensed at anytime. East Asians like drinking hot water.

Expensive because it's Zojirushi. They make high quality reliable appliances.
Dec 2, 2020
130 posts
199 upvotes
What's the difference between this, and using my hot water tap?
May 24, 2020
22 posts
31 upvotes
WeimarRepublic wrote: What's the difference between this, and using my hot water tap?
water from your hot water tank is disgusting and really shouldn't be consumed.

tankless needs to be cleaned too but is usually foregone.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1853 posts
3940 upvotes
Vancouver
WeimarRepublic wrote: What's the difference between this, and using my hot water tap?
This gives you boiling water on demand. Your tap, unless there's something very wrong with your house, does not.
Jan 31, 2008
652 posts
260 upvotes
Toronto
It's really just paying for convenience.
I have one because I don't want to wait to boil hot water. I've also used other hot water boilers (like Black and Decker, etc. Kettle) and the hot water from it always has a "metal" taste to it, the Zojirushi's do not. Might be a personal preference thing though....

Have it in the office and it's just super convenient. Pay that price once and it lasts years.
If you drink hot beverage every day, it's worth it (to me at least). Not having to wait for hot water when I want it....down the line, you're paying maybe < 10cents a day for this convenience.

Again, if you don't drink hot beverages on a daily basis, then maybe it's not an item for you.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1379 posts
394 upvotes
Toronto
I wonder how much electricity this thing consumes. I know some Rice cooker/warmer (like any other heat generating appliances like hair dryer, heat pad, electric warmer...) consumes much more electricity than you would expect. I know this is not a rice cooker but this thing would stay plugged in 24/7...
Last edited by gyong3 on Aug 3rd, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2011
2783 posts
1390 upvotes
EDMONTON
cpsharma15 wrote: Exactly what is the use? Why so expensive ?
Zojirushi is the Nintendo of waterboilers. People don't question the price. They see the "Zojirushi" brand and it's a hot deal.

Reading the reviews, you can see people complaining about rust after a month. Paying $200 for a product only for it rust in a month.....lol
teksavvy sucks
Jan 20, 2005
804 posts
1004 upvotes
Toronto
Ours is 7+ years old. It has paid for itself a thousand times over, by keepiing water hot for heating-up for baby formula (not to mention tea / coffee / instant noodles / soup).

No more waiting for boiling water in the middle of the night with the baby crying.
Feb 4, 2015
499 posts
1506 upvotes
Calgary, AB
umadbrah wrote: Zojirushi is the Nintendo of waterboilers. People don't question the price. They see the "Zojirushi" brand and it's a hot deal.

Reading the reviews, you can see people complaining about rust after a month. Paying $200 for a product only for it rust in a month.....lol
Did somebody name Zoji kick your dog? Don't really understand the hate.

Firstly, I don't think anyone has said this is a hot deal (no pun intended). Second of all if you look at it vs the other brand name alternatives (ie, Tiger and Panasonic) the price is attractive. Thirdly, no product is perfect and 87% positive for a kitchen device is really high, certainly higher than the half a dozen comparable ones I clicked into. If you are going to disqualify a product from 3% negative reviews you aren't ever buying anything from Amazon; this is not to say rust is or is not a problem, but put it into perspective.

For those looking into this, also consider an InSinkerator - I have one of those and it's awesome. You need to value hot water on demand and use it a lot to make it worthwhile though. However, for those reeling from a 2 bill price tag of this device, you should not go down this rabbit hole.

As others noted, price is kind of warm.. I was going to pick one up for the cabin but maybe I'll think about it a bit. Thanks for posting!
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2003
1269 posts
416 upvotes
the VE models are vacuum insulated and use less power
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4560 posts
1481 upvotes
Vancity
gyong3 wrote: I wonder how much electricity this thing consumes. I know some Rice cooker/warmer (like any other heat generating appliances like hair dryer, heat pad, electric warmer...) consumes much more electricity you would expect. I know this is not a rice cooker but this thing would stay plugged in 24/7...
If I recall, while my Panasonic kettle keeping water warm (after boil), it draws about 30-40w (kill-a-watt type measuring device). So it's about $40 per year in electricity bill The person above who said < $.10/day is about right.

A rice cook should be much less.
signature closed for renovation
Jun 3, 2008
64 posts
25 upvotes
Vancouver
gyong3 wrote: I wonder how much electricity this thing consumes. I know some Rice cooker/warmer (like any other heat generating appliances like hair dryer, heat pad, electric warmer...) consumes much more electricity you would expect. I know this is not a rice cooker but this thing would stay plugged in 24/7...
I have the VE model, which as mentioned above is insulated and uses less power. They are plugged in 24/7, but not heating 24/7. If you allow it to boil water and unplug it, you can see that these units can keep water very hot for a pretty long time. Though now I'm curious exactly how much $ this is costing me. A completely wild guess would be like ~$50/year? Maybe I'll go find out....
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2003
1197 posts
52 upvotes
GTA
scott_newsgroup wrote: Ours is 7+ years old. It has paid for itself a thousand times over, by keepiing water hot for heating-up for baby formula (not to mention tea / coffee / instant noodles / soup).

No more waiting for boiling water in the middle of the night with the baby crying.
Same here! Mine is over 15 +years going through with 3 kids. I only replaced the plastic sealer once and that's it. Thanks OP.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
1509 posts
2523 upvotes
Vancouver
This is a azn product, targetted towards the azn market.

We like to drink warm water, when someone asks you for water, you would never give them cold water. Cultural thing