Expired Hot Deals

[Amazon.ca] Zojirushi NP-NVC10 Induction Heating Pressure Rice Cooker 5.5 Cups (Made in Japan) - $458.99

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2019 11:03 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2005
4199 posts
1094 upvotes
jaksdj22 wrote: $450 for a rice cooker, insane
Suffice to say you gotta pay the price for nice rice.
signature closed for renovation
May 29, 2008
761 posts
289 upvotes
Hamilton
lmx116 wrote: the only question I have is, is there a significant benefit adding pressure cooking? I am using the IH model right now.
I personally opted for the non-pressure model because I think I read somewhere that the pressure model would make rice very slightly softer, but don't quote me on that. I generally like my rice on the harder side, and have always used the harder white rice setting on my Zojirushi rice cookers.
aquaman123 wrote: Is there something like this, for rice, but without the non-stick cooking surface? So I guess stick cooking surface :)
From the Zojirushi site it looks like all their non-conventional cookers use non-stick.

we use the conventional cooker now but are interested in the smart, pressure cookers
Sorry, I don't have a specific model for you, but I think some Korean ones use a metal surface. I wouldn't worry too much about the non-stick on these though. I believe that the temperature can't actually get high enough to damage the coating. The only concern would be user error like taking a fork to the bowl for some reason, or putting the bowl in the fridge because you got too lazy to move the rice out of the inner bowl.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1183 posts
1091 upvotes
Surrey
recordman wrote: Suffice to say you gotta pay the price for nice rice.
Wondering What kind of rice need to put in to make a nice bowl of rice
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1141 posts
1530 upvotes
I got one of these as a gift. Here are my thoughts. Does it make better rice than a $20 Black & Decker? Certainly. Does it taste $430 better? Probably not. Unless you print your own money in your basement there are better ways to spend it IMHO.

It takes 84 minutes to cook white rice on the" Umami" setting. I've found this setting does actually make the rice more flavourful and probably makes the best rice I've ever had. I found the "Scorch" setting to be a disappointment as the rice on the bottom barely gets brown. I do like the GABA setting for brown rice too.

The best thing about this cooker is that you can park it in your driveway when it's not in use and if you have Asian neighbours they immediately feel like they have to go out and buy a better one than you have,
Jan 22, 2017
47 posts
139 upvotes
Just because I had done a lot of research just want to share what I found:

Taste wise: All very similar for White Rice
Time to cook wise: All very similar for white rice (45-55mins for 5 cup)

- Zojirushi Neuro Fuzzy (NS-ZCC10/18) $: No induction or pressure, has neuro fuzzy AI that learns from previous rice cooks
- Zojirushi Induction Heat $$: Just induction, has micom not neuro fuzzy, apparently micom is not as good. Again doesn't really affect taste.
- Zojirushi Induction Heat and Pressure Cook $$$: Induction and Pressure, neuro fuzzy AI and has lots of modes, also does brown rice the fastest out of the three but barely (~79mins) and best tasting (from what I read).

The issue I had heard with pressure cook rice cookers is that Zojirushi is new in the game with this technology and its not as refined as Cuckoo (Korean Rice Cooker Brand). This can be seen with cooking times as you can do a cup of rice in a pressure cooker Cuckoo in 15-20mins. Zojirushi doesnt care how much rice you put in, it always stays the same. If you were wanting a rice cooker for its pressure cooking ability go with Cuckoo. If you just want a good rice cooker go Neuro fuzzy. If you really want a zojirushi and eat alot of brown rice, go with this induction + pressure rice cooker.
Last edited by jtcipro on May 24th, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1183 posts
1091 upvotes
Surrey
6060842 wrote: I got one of these as a gift. Here are my thoughts. Does it make better rice than a $20 Black & Decker? Certainly. Does it taste $430 better? Probably not. Unless you print your own money in your basement there are better ways to spend it IMHO.

It takes 84 minutes to cook white rice on the" Umami" setting. I've found this setting does actually make the rice more flavourful and probably makes the best rice I've ever had. I found the "Scorch" setting to be a disappointment as the rice on the bottom barely gets brown. I do like the GABA setting for brown rice too.

The best thing about this cooker is that you can park it in your driveway when it's not in use and if you have Asian neighbours they immediately feel like they have to go out and buy a better one than you have,
What kind of rice did u put in to make a tasty rice ?
Oct 20, 2011
216 posts
184 upvotes
Oshawa
jaksdj22 wrote: Wondering What kind of rice need to put in to make a nice bowl of rice
Tamaki Gold is good although a little pricey.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2015
1141 posts
1530 upvotes
jaksdj22 wrote: What kind of rice did u put in to make a tasty rice ?
I usually have 4 different types in stock. Long grain brown, long grain white, short or med grain white and white basmati. The brand really doesn't make much difference. Freshness does though so I like to buy from stores that I know turn over a lot of rice.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1411 posts
291 upvotes
Ottawa
brown rice setting, 79 minutes and what is the pressure? 10 psi?? or lower.
Mar 2, 2011
390 posts
195 upvotes
West
Will this be the "one" rice cooker I use for the rest of my life?

I thought $1xx was already fancy.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
9802 posts
5829 upvotes
jtcipro wrote: Just because I had done a lot of research just want to share what I found:

Taste wise: All very similar for White Rice
Time to cook wise: All very similar for white rice (45-55mins for 5 cup)

- Zojirushi Neuro Fuzzy (NS-ZCC10/18) $: No induction or pressure, has neuro fuzzy AI that learns from previous rice cooks
- Zojirushi Induction Heat $$: Just induction, has micom not neuro fuzzy, apparently micom is not as good. Again doesn't really affect taste.
- Zojirushi Induction Heat and Pressure Cook $$$: Induction and Pressure, neuro fuzzy AI and has lots of modes, also does brown rice the fastest out of the three but barely (~79mins) and best tasting (from what I read).

The issue I had heard with pressure cook rice cookers is that Zojirushi is new in the game with this technology and its not as refined as Cuckoo (Korean Rice Cooker Brand). This can be seen with cooking times as you can do a cup of rice in a pressure cooker Cuckoo in 15-20mins. Zojirushi doesnt care how much rice you put in, it always stays the same. If you were wanting a rice cooker for its pressure cooking ability go with Cuckoo. If you just want a good rice cooker go Neuro fuzzy. If you really want a zojirushi and eat alot of brown rice, go with this induction + pressure rice cooker.
I'm sooo shallow that I can't bring myself to buy anything from Cuckoo (due to its name).
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
5052 posts
2279 upvotes
Vancouver
I just bought the Zojirushi NS-TSC10 rice cooker and it's amazing. Cooks rice perfectly each time, my last hamilton beach rice cooker was so inconsistent, sometimes burnt, sometimes soggy even though I was adding the same amount of water each time.
Apr 29, 2019
36 posts
75 upvotes
Giving my two cents. I upgraded from a cheap $8 rice cooker to a $600 IH one from Panasonic and no regrets. Here are some things you need to consider as well:

The price tag gives you more function, Japanese are very particular with their rice so texture for each use should be different. Hence, these expensive cookers will have cooking functions specific for curry, sushi or just regular rice.
The inside container will increase the price. The cheaper interior are made from less conductive material resulting in poor heat distribution. The more expensive model uses multi-layers. It's kind of like buying 3-ply stainless steel cookware vs 5-ply.
Porridge cooking function is awesome. No need to watch over the porridge for burnt bottoms or boiling over. I use this function to make steelcut oats too.
Timer! These rice cookers can take 1 hour to cook your rice. I usually set mine up in the morning to have the rice ready when I get home.

Just a few things I've learned when I was rice cooker shopping.